ok for women in free weights not for men in group fitness?

Options
I feel like it has become acceptable for women to enter the free weights (men's area), but when men enter the group fitness classes (women's area) they still receive ridicule. Why has this double standard been allowed to persist?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Feminism.

Rigger
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I personally do not do group fitness. To much chitter chatter going on. When I go to the gym I go to work out not gossip :laugh:

However, I have noticed when walking by our group class room that there are always men in the classes. In fact my wife does a 5AM group class and there are usually 4 or 5 men in class.
  • water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Since when does free weights = men's area?

And at my gym, men don't receive ridicule for attending group fitness classes.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've never gone to a class without a man in there! I had no idea it was a "thing"!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

And at my gym, men don't receive ridicule for attending group fitness classes.

+1 Several men instructors as well.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've seen men in all my group classes including yoga, spinning and bootcamps. However, it is usually 1-2 guys per 8 women.

I did Kickboxing at a boxing gym and I think there were 3 women out of 30 people.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I run into the same thing with locker rooms. Get over it ladies, I'm headed to the wall mounted air dryer...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Find another gym. Certainly not a problem at mine.

And I'm a feminist. If there is a double standard out there that's beyond the mind of those anxious to enter a fitness class, trust me, lovelies, it didn't originate with us.

Mind you, us feminists would also be disinclined to refer to any section of the gym in gendered terms, in the manner the OP did....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Since women labeled it as such. :)

Yeah... blame the victims...

:-)

Seriously though. This men's stuff / women's stuff. Come on people. Leave it in the kindergarten. Actually, scrap that. My kid was too smart to buy this cr&p when she was in kindergarten.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    As a man I'm used to having women apply a different set of standards to me
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    In school I once did a pilates class after my workout just for fun. I had intended to stay in the back because...I was the only guy and I had never done pilates before.

The instructor made me go up front. She almost ruined my pilates experience.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Classes are only for women.

Weights are only for men.

Sammiches are all for me.

It's simple, really.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

It's simple, really.

Maybe it's simple for you, but I am not very good at math
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It's simple, really.

Maybe it's simple for you, but I am not very good at math

It's OK. I'm an accountant, I'll do the maths for you, loverpants :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Men do not ridicule women for entering free weights

Women do not ridicule men for entering group fitness classes (unless its for the purpose of being a creeper).

The hangups and ridicule are from within both genders and their perceived lack of feminity in weights for women and lack of masculinity in fitness classes for men. Both are sterotypes that some have overcome and some haven't
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I've never received any negative feedback when I join group fitness classes.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Women do not ridicule men for entering group fitness classes (unless its for the purpose of being a creeper).

Surprising how often men are labeled as 'creepers' just for going to a group fitness class.

this.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Men do not ridicule women for entering free weights

The hangups and ridicule are from within both genders and their perceived lack of feminity in weights for women and lack of masculinity in fitness classes for men. Both are sterotypes that some have overcome and some haven't

So true. Also, hello fellow Rays fan! :D