ok for women in free weights not for men in group fitness?

Options
2»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Doesn't happen at my gym. Women in the weights area and men in group fitness classes.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Women do not ridicule men for entering group fitness classes (unless its for the purpose of being a creeper).

Surprising how often men are labeled as 'creepers' just for going to a group fitness class.

If you are there in the front row participating working up a sweat, I doubt anyone thinks that.

However, if you get there, scope out the "talent" and find your favorite view in the back row and have your eyes wandering for the duration of the class, I would think yes they think that.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does kettlebell class with me... there is usually at least one other man (there are at most like 8 people in the class). No problem here!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Be the change bro.
  • hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I run into the same thing with locker rooms. Get over it ladies, I'm headed to the wall mounted air dryer...

Made me laugh.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is completely open plan and the room where the classes are held has a glass wall, so everyone can creep from every angle. Win win! :tongue:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Women do not ridicule men for entering group fitness classes (unless its for the purpose of being a creeper).

Surprising how often men are labeled as 'creepers' just for going to a group fitness class.

If you are there in the front row participating working up a sweat, I doubt anyone thinks that.

However, if you get there, scope out the "talent" and find your favorite view in the back row and have your eyes wandering for the duration of the class, I would think yes they think that.

The stereotyping does not often occur during the class since, as you point out, most men do not do this.

I'm sure there are no wandering eyes in the free weights section, from either gender right?

No doubt. You can be a creeper anywhere. I personally have never heard anyone say if you go to a fitness class you are a creeper. It would not surprise me if some thought that though.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I feel like it has become acceptable for women to enter the free weights (men's area), but when men enter the group fitness classes (women's area) they still receive ridicule. Why has this double standard been allowed to persist?

We live in NY, long island to be specific. When my husband first started joining me in yoga class at our very large gym, he was one of the only men in the class. As the months went on, more and more men began coming to the class. He's a muscley guy with lots of facial hair & often wore a bandanna to keep the dripping sweat from his eyes. He kinda looked like a pirate doing yoga :laugh: and he didn't give a hoot.

That was 2 yrs ago & now, 1/3 of the yoga class we go to is usually men :wink: Even the yoga studio we attend once in a while has a population of 50/50 men & women. Don't worry about what they say...get your exercise on whether it's group class or otherwise. :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Since when does free weights = men's area?

Since women labeled it as such. :)

What this poster says is true. Women traditionally have avoided the weights sections of gyms for fear of getting 'bulky' muscles, and until recently most women didn't even want lean, defined muscles, and this is what my point is. It has become ok, even considered 'sexy' for women to be strong and defined and 'ripped' and they are generally encouraged for doing so. How many posts are there on here encouraging women to lift heavy?
    But for men going to aerobics classes or zumba and whatnot, there is still a general stereotype that they are perverts or 'flamers' even though most men who go are just normal guys who find the cardio from classes to be a beneficial supplement to their workout. Guys can use cardio just as much as women can use heavy lifting, but guys are never encouraged to attend classes, except by class instructors or S.O.s maybe.

Ummm...please don't take this the wrong way but....how old are you?
    We're in our mid 40's and ever since Terminator 2's Linda Hamilton broke out with those massively cut up arms in '91, all of my girlie friends (including myself) desperately wanted to look like THAT.:blushing:

I work out in the free weight section of the gym with my DH and have never had a problem with men there as he's never had an issue attending a class that was traditionally attended by suburban housewives. To be honest, he was busting his *kitten* to keep up and he's fit a hell.:laugh:

He left that class with a new found respect for people who do them and I suspect if you were able to get past what you think people might be thinking of you, you'd not have a problem as well. :ohwell:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym in my office building. I only ever go to the yoga class, (mostly I just run outside and use the shower) and there are a few men regularly in the class. Granted they aren't the secret service guys, they hang out in the free weights, but all of us women are rextremely welcoming to them. Pretty sure the guys will be friendly to me if it ever fits into my schedule to start a lifting program. Are you sure these standards exist in your gym? Or is this a personal perception problem?
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My yoga class is mostly male taught by a man. Most of my classes are taught by men and there are always a bunch in class even Zumba always has a couple.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Gotta love that testosterone in our mostly female fitness classes :-). The gents lend a different kind of energy to the classes that's always appreciated. They are typically able to lift more in BodyPump so that's very inspiring, and that crazy high knee run guy in BodyAttack today, he was flying!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Men do not ridicule women for entering free weights

The hangups and ridicule are from within both genders and their perceived lack of feminity in weights for women and lack of masculinity in fitness classes for men. Both are sterotypes that some have overcome and some haven't

Yes, exactly! The majority of the hangups either way are in your mind. You will encounter the odd person who ridicules you for lifting weights/doing a group fitness class, but these people are *kitten* and you shouldn't give a crap about what they think. If you enjoy lifting weights/group fitness then do it with confidence and stop projecting your own insecurities onto the people around you
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options
    I actually think men are harder on other men. There are so many expectations around what is manly and what isn't. Certainly women contribute to that, but I think it's more common that men give other men cr@p for taking fitness classes or participating in stereotypical "women" activities.

I also think women tend to categorize weight rooms as "male" because in the past they were filled with mostly dudes. That's changed, of course, in most gyms..
  • greyoutside
    Options
    In school I once did a pilates class after my workout just for fun. I had intended to stay in the back because...I was the only guy and I had never done pilates before.

The instructor made me go up front. She almost ruined my pilates experience.

Yeah they always do that with new people. It's so you can see the instructor.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Feminism.

Rigger

Women don't care at all if y'all go to group exercise classes. It's other men you have to deal with. But I guess other men are being macho because of feminism. That's logical.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Mainly because the group fitness classes are usually a step down from attacking the free weight area of your gym with a solid program. Why bother? What can it possibly do for you?