Weight Watchers Vs MTP. Any Comments thanks

Options
My Work fully re-reimburses the program so I figure why not. Has anyone been a in weight watchers that is now on MFP have anything to add about Weight watchers vs MFP. I have never done it before but my mom is begging me to join with her so I will do it especially because it is free but I keep thinking is it not the same thing.? I hit a plateau awhile back and haven't been able to loose anymore weight so hoping it might help. Just interested in Opinions or experiences with Weight watchers Vs. MFP Please

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I find it easier and more sustainable to count macros and calories than some made up arbitrary value to food.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I find it easier and more sustainable to count macros and calories than some made up arbitrary value to food.

Agreed. I want to know exactly what I'm eating and manage it accordingly. What is a 'point'? how is it defined? I have tried both slimming world and weight watchers and neither worked for me but it does work for many people.

Good luck :-D
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've done both and lost weight with both. I like having access to support at my finger tips on MFP, I liked having the meetings in person for weight watchers. You could use both, log your exercise here and add friends but track food with weight watchers.:smile:
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I used Weight Watchers successfully for awhile, then I got pissed off at having to have my phone with me anytime I went grocery shopping to test the points on EVERY SINGLE ITEM. Ugh
    Never again.
  • andersonh2007
    andersonh2007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have had many years of experience on WW and am a lifetime member (not currently at goal). WW counts points while MFP counts macros and calories. If it is free and your mom wants you to go, you may be able to use the meeting topics discussed to help break your plateau. You could still log your food on MFP too, if it wouldn't be too confusing. Best wishes!:)
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Both MFP and Weightwatcher's are excellent programs. They each have a different method of logging, either point value for one or calories for the other. I am currently doing both and have discovered that they are the same in food value.
    Good luck.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight with both. If Weight Watchers is free for you go for it and see if you like the program. I just had issues with crap customer service and meeting closures.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW before many times. I will honestly never go back. I don't see myself tracking points for the rest of my life. I am loving MFP. Wonderful people and forums. I find tracking just calories easier and much much much more accurate.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There is no actual meetings where I live so It would be strictly online. Thanks everyone.
    :):bigsmile:
  • trackmyday1973
    Options
    I used Weight Watchers successfully for awhile, then I got pissed off at having to have my phone with me anytime I went grocery shopping to test the points on EVERY SINGLE ITEM. Ugh
    Never again.

same here.... the having to figure out points at the grocery store turned me off from the program....and didn't like how they penalized you hard for fats....they didn't take into account the good fats (ex: olive oil, avocado etc etc)
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have done both. I feel that WW has similar values but only to a point. MFP is free and has all the same info as WW. Besides, WW doesn't teach you how to live your every day life without depending on the gadgets and recipe books and foods they want you to purchase. Will you lose weight? Yes. But you will always have to PAY for what you get for free on MFP. I know that, for me, my fitness pal is a much better resource for weight loss information that will travel with me forever without digging into my pocket book.

P.S. I did WW online every time I did it.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You count something with both...be it points or calories.

The difference is the support.

If you have a bad week or month on WW and attend a meeting you are much more inclined to get some strategies for dealing with what isn't working.

For some reason, on MFP the advice you get seems to be:

1) Suck it up
    2) Get some willpower
    3) What is wrong with you?

Oh, and two or three positive ideas....

For some people that works, but not for everyone.

The key with WW is meetings...go to them. If you just sign up and don't stay for the meetings and don't go weekly, you are wasting your time.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

1) Suck it up
    2) Get some willpower

Never happened to me *shrug*
  • trackmyday1973
    Options

1) Suck it up
    2) Get some willpower

Never happened to me *shrug*

didn't happen to me either....
  • devinbear
    devinbear Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers for a year. I lost weight, but went right back up after quitting. (From 157 to 136 then back up to 153). I started again on my own, but MFP has been a great help tracking macros and exercise. Also, it may just be me, but I was always starving on weight watchers.
  • escape31
    escape31 Posts: 28
    Options
    I joined weight watchers last month, July 25 to be exact. For the first time and I lost weight, first I saw it fast. Now its moving slowly, after 3 months. I plan to just use MFP since the baracode is better and seems easier to follow. Yet I need to probably understand what is consider to be a good solid meal since I want to eat 3 meals a day without snacking. People say snacking is healthy but I just rather have main meals.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have belonged to ww online and i think MFP (not MTP) is much much easier and user friendly.

And... just about any weight loss plan will get the job done... if you stick with it. WW was the original "healthy eating diet", (I also belonged years ago when they used the exchange system), but still MFP is easier to manage and keep track of REAL food and calories, not points or exchanges.
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I joined WW about 10 years ago and lost 55 lbs. That was on the old plan. I gained about 15 lbs back and tried them this time on the new Points Plus. I couldn't drop a pound. The difference is that the old plan used calories in their formula but the PP plan does not. Also, on the new plan, all fruit and veggies are 0 points. I'm finding MFP to be better even after only a week.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You count something with both...be it points or calories.

The difference is the support.

If you have a bad week or month on WW and attend a meeting you are much more inclined to get some strategies for dealing with what isn't working.

1) Suck it up
    2) Get some willpower

Oh, and two or three positive ideas....

For some people that works, but not for everyone.

The key with WW is meetings...go to them. If you just sign up and don't stay for the meetings and don't go weekly, you are wasting your time.

This hasn't happened to me either, but I think I know what you're referring to. But that's the nature of the internet and public forums. People are different and you just have to expect that not everyone is always nice, happy and not offensive. :flowerforyou:
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight with Weight watchers, I lost 40lbs in the beginning and was going strong. Unfortunately, when I moved back to school, there was no feasible WW program available for me to attend in that town because it was so small. I lost pretty much all my motivation to lose almost immediately, and then after I had to get surgery, I gained almost all my weight back.

I tried it here for a long time, and never lost more than a lb or two at a time. I just didn't have the support from here that I had from in person meetings. It wasn't the same for me at all, and I am just really not motivated on this site. I still enjoy coming here and reading the message boards from time to time, but without the face-to-face thing, I just can't get into it.

That being said, I think it truly depends on you, your WW meeting, and the leader. Many of these comments are saying that WW tried push their food or products on them, and I have never felt that way at my meetings. At no point in any of the time I was there did I feel pressured to buy their products to succeed. I also think that I have learned a lot about how to live my life healthily and not just follow a diet. There are great topics every week. Last weeks was how to get back up after slipping up, next weeks will be quick dinners, and so on. I feel there ARE valuable life lessons to losing weight. I suppose it depends on your meeting because I have never experienced some of the things other people have said. Plus, there's really not a better feeling than actually having people clap for you for losing five pounds.

Just my input about my positive experience with the program.