Insanity workout.. too insane?

Options
I have done this work out a handful of times. I have to stop every 3 min and take a min break. I feel so out of shape doing this workout! I know it is called INSANITY, but does it get easier?

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It becomes pretty easy and repetitive after a while. Just make sure your knees and ankles are supported, correct footwear etc. Rest when you need to and if you have any pain take time off. 9/10 who do it properly get injured after a while from my experience.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It didnt for me...I did month 1 twice because I knew I couldnt handle month 2. I could barely do the warm up for month 1. And whenever there was a water break I would be breathing so hard that if I stopped breathing to take a drink, my body would start panicing and gasping for air so I couldnt even take a damn drink!! I would do the stretching stuff and then sort of stumble through the actual workout but half of the stuff I couldnt even do.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    That kind of intense cardio isn't for everyone.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Too insane for my blood. I like to enjoy my workout, not contemplate a premature death.
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For the first week I was a wreck, I'm not kidding. I felt like vomiting after every workout and I'd lie on the floor willing myself not to throw up. My body hurt every day and I was so, so tired.

I just finished week 2 today though and I'm amazed at how much easier it's got. And I'm addicted I think! I won't say it's easy, because it's not. But I never thought for one second I'd feel this good at 14 days.

I read that drinking coffee before you work out will improve performance so I gave it a go (well, iced coffee!). I don't know if it's psychological but it really does help me. I feel less like giving up half way through the warm up ;o)

Keep at it, I don't think you'll regret it.
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is promising. I'm going to approach it thinking it will get easier, instead of with such dread lol.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • MrConductor
    Options
    How did you enter the workout in? I have tried cardio, abs workout but I find nothing in the drop downs
  • roisinio
    Options
    hi im starting this on monday don't know whether to or not know after the comments good luck with it
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This may not be the workout for you right at this stage. My question would be how much cardiovascular exercise have you done in the past, and if your answer is "not that much", or "I haven't done any in quite a while", then I'd recommend starting with a less intense form, so you don't get discouraged. Insanity is definitely a workout for people who are cardiovascularly fit, in my opinion. Just because you aren't able to feel successful at this particular workout, though, don't throw it to the wayside. Once you build up your endurance, and feel stronger cardiovascularly, give it another shot. I think you might feel differently about it. We can accomplish anything, if we have the right mind-set. Good luck at finding a program that fits your current needs! :)
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How did you enter the workout in? I have tried cardio, abs workout but I find nothing in the drop downs

What many do is add it in as Cardio. Add the minutes it gives you, then go to "create an exercise"....do the same, except in the "exercise name" bar, add Insanity. It's all the same minutes and calories burned, just a different name. You can also scroll down and click on the "share with other members " box. This way it will always be there.....:flowerforyou:
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am have pretty good endurance when it comes to cardio workouts. I use to do aerobics almost daily. I thought I was in good shape before trying Insanity. Guess it will get easier in time, until then I will stick to my breaks every 3-4 minutes.
  • mikenelson20
    mikenelson20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You got it. It took me a while to not want to throw up while doing it. It does get easier, well easier that you don't want to throw up but that is about it. I had to start of slow (even just doing the warm-up the first couple of times was enough) and I had finished P90X about a month before. Insanity is a whole another level. Look at the people in the gym, they are taking breaks all the time.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Hit the pause as you need it, but you'll build up. It's a great workout program. The initial dvd's in the series are shorter than the later ones, so it provides you with the opportunity for growth.
  • kelsieowen3
    Options
    Insanity, as presented in the videos, is intended for a pretty fit audience. However, it also allows for you to do it at your own pace. First of all, I know how hard insanity is! It's called insanity for a reason! But you can adjust your workout so that you aren't "dying" by going at a slower pace (don't compare yourself to the people in the videos; these are fitness models, etc). I'm not sure if it's recommended anywhere with the videos but you'll notice that a lot of the people in the videos have heart rate monitors on, and Shaun T tells you to check your heart rate regularly. I'm personally a fan of heart rate monitors. Getting one can give you feedback on how hard you are actually working.

And it does get easier!!! As you become stronger and more fit you'll be able to make it through the whole video without feeling like you're going to die. Trust me! ;) It just takes some time.
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's too insane for me and I love cardio.

Go at your own pace and, remember, you should enjoy what you're doing.

To each his own. Enjoy!