Slim Fast

Options
hey guys, so I have been struggling all year to try lose weight but I have a food addiction which I have had for nine years now, enough is enough though.. I'm just looking for some ideas though, I was planning on using Slim Fast meal replacement shakes with soy milk.. I also plan on taking a multivitamin and minerals tablet once daily.. I am really lacking motivation :( I have contemplated things like Herbalife but why pay when I can buy the vitamins and green tea etc cheaper.. any suggestions would be helpful on Slim Fast and on eating addictions, I am really breaking up about all this :(

Replies

• ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi Purple Polka,

Slim Fast has never ever helped me. Every time I used one, I needed to eat an actual meal almost immediately after. :(

For a while, try just logging everything you eat. Tell yourself you don't have to change what you eat, (although you will if you know you have to be accountable for it) :wink: Once you begin to see what you eat and come to terms with that, you can start setting some goals. Seriously the slim fast is such a waste of money IMHO but if you feel like you want to give it a try, go ahead. Whole, clean foods are so much better!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want!

-Christy
  • PurplePolkaDots90
    Options
    it is difficult for me because I do rely on food, it is an addiction which I thought hilarious at first but realising I have a problem. I noticed Slim Fast is high in sugar however. When I looked at their 3.2.1 plan I thought it was awful, eating every so many hours and chocolate bars for snacks and stuff, that's why I was hoping to just use the shakes as a meal replacement and eat clean the other times.. I am getting really upset about this whole thing :(
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    This thread pretty much sums it all up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1066829-what-do-you-think-on-slim-fast

IMO, ditch the shakes and eat healthier choices.
    For Example:

Breakfast - Oatmeal w/ sliced fruit
    snack
    Lunch - Sandwich, or salad, or whatever
    snack
    snack
    Diner - Lean protein (chicken, pork, fish) with veggies

Make your snacks fruits/veggies or things with protein and fiber, like Greek yogurt. Those things will help you feel fuller longer between meals.
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    slim fast has to much sugar in it. it always left me hungry. I use GNC brand lean shake which i find very filling.
  • awopero
    awopero Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Try loosing carbs and sugar, eat veggies and meat. Slim fast does not work.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use slimfast with no problems mainly for a fast easy meal replacement as its intended...I do not use it daily however
  • triadvocate
    triadvocate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you need a shake as a meal supplement or replacement, try looking into Egg white protien. Everything I have read seems to say that it is optimal for females trying to loose weight. It packs alot more protien than herbalife. herbalife is a lot of fun though, they have weight loss challenges and there ( used to be ) were cash prizes for the top three people with the most weight loss. Sometimes you might get hungry between shakes so add barley, quinoa, or another protien filler to your shake. Just don't rely completely on the shakes or you will set yourself up for failure. Self denial is a good thing but total self denial just makes you want the cheeseburger, cupcake, cookie, whatever all the more. Indulge sometimes just don't splurge all the time because you're doing shakes as meal replacement. I have a food addiction as well, mine coinsides mostly with anxiety levels ( I'm a social worker in child protection--lots of sky high anxiety some days) and I have to remind myself that I have been good all day, I am still within my calorie/fat limits, but if I have that cheeseburger, cupcake, cookie, whatever-- my whole day of trying will be shot straight out of the water. The pleasure that we get from eating only lasts for as long as we have the food in our hands but once it's gone it's not gone. We have to spend hours trying to work off what took maybe 30 minutes or less to eat. It's not really worth it in the end. I hope this helps.

Keep the faith and you'll loose the weight.
  • Me_vs_obesity
    Options
    Ive tried slim fast. I lasted about 5 days,

Seriously, I would not recommend it to you. Its a nasty, cheep drink that is just going to slow down your metablolism.

Also, if you leave a little bit in a cup after about 2 days it will turn green. Its full of sugar aswelll...I could see it when I opened up the container.

It would be better if you just had 300 calorie meals instead of the drinks. (You can buy frozen meals that are around 300 cals)

Make sure your taking vitamins if your going to do a calorie restrictive diet.