When do you do it?

Options
So I've been trying to get up earlier and get my workouts done so I can spend the rest of the day focusing on kids, housework and whatever else is on my plate for the day. The hubs leaves for work pretty early in the morning so I've asked him a few times to try to wake me up. He does. But it never fails. I always go back to bed and fall back asleep. lol How do you all that get up earlier to work out motivate yourself to get out of bed and get it done?

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Thought this thread was about something else :laugh:

I like to workout first thing in the morning after I roll out of bed :tongue:
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    Days i work, i walk to work and walk home, so 6am is my first 25 min walk, and 7pm is my other.
    Days off, i do 15 min on the elliptical right now ( im working myself into it ) and that is just whenever i wake up
    and i do a 20 min cardio workout video sometime after supper.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First off, it's great that you have a supportive husband helping you out! Secondly, don't rely on him waking you up. It's leaving you the option to go back to bed. Which seems to be what is happening :smile: Get your workout stuff read the night before (water bottle, lay out gym clothes, running shoes at the door, etc) then set an alarm clock across the room, or somewhere out of reach where you have to get OUT of bed to turn it off. Once you are already up, you are less likely to hit that snooze button and get back into bed.

Good luck!

And trust me, once you get used to the morning routine, you'll love it. It's so nice to have the rest of your day free to get everything else on that every growing to do list done!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I do everything the night before so all I have to do is stand up and put on my shoes and go. My breakfast is ready and so is my lunch to take to work. My coffee is already in the coffee maker. Everything is ready for my pets. I LOVE walking in a beautiful area near my house early in the morning when it is peaceful and almost nobody else is out there.

When you think about how great it will be, you'll make the time for it.
  • Montrose11
    Montrose11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also get everything ready the night before. No fumbling around in the morning trying to find workout clothes which would just give me another excuse not to do it. I do Leslie Sansone DVDs and try to pick it out the night before. I get my lunch and breakfast ready to take to work, too. The last couple of mornings I wanted to stay in bed, but I got up anyway and did my workout. You feel so much better afterwards. To me, nothing tops the feeling of getting in the shower after working out. My body feels so light! And, I don't know how I did it, but I'm even able to take an earlier train after working out!
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Set an alarm across the room and get up to walk to shut it off
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hubby tries NOT to wake me up (he leaves around 4:30 most days) but often I can't get back to sleep. Which is NOT to say I get out of bed and do anything productive ... I guess I think I'll get back to sleep and some days I do. Summer has been really hard on the schedule, there has been a LOT of sleeping in. I do much better during the school year, getting up and getting a workout in before getting the kids off to school.

I'm a SAHM with a home gym, so I actually do it all day long *Ü* I'll just pop downstairs and get in 20 minutes on the elliptical several times a day. It really helps break up the day and is much easier for me to do in little spurts than all at once. Of course I am a sweaty mess most of the time ...

As for motivation, I have a Fitbit and the visual graph of the daily activity is very motivating. I have to get that first activity spike right when I get up, and I'm really embarrassed if it doesn't show up until 9:00 or 10:00.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Turn my cellphone on blast, playing a favorite song , and place it accross the room from me so when the alarm goes of I have to get up, then i'm already up, so I might as well move lol
  • mmjensen2010
    mmjensen2010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like to lay my workout clothes out in the bathroom. The first thing I do is go the bathroom and brush my teeth. So, as soon as I see them I change. Once my clothes are on my mind set changes. It's like the clothes begin to pump me up and ready my head and body for my workout.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    During the work week, I exercise after dinner, usually taking a long walk with my kids. On weekends, I walk earlier in the morning. During the school year, there's just not enough time in my mornings so I just made a habit of doing things after dinner.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I used to be able to get up in the morning....now, not so much and CERTAINLY not to exercise! :laugh: :laugh: The idea alone has me reaching for the snooze button! :ohwell:

However.....I've found that since I've adjusted my schedule to go to sleep really early, I wake up really early, very easily!

I was able to change my automatic wake up time by gradually going to bed earlier & earlier. Rituals helped alot. Early dinner, long walk with the dogs, then a long relaxing bath before bed, along with some reading in bed and a glass of wine.

Now I fall asleep around 9 pm and wake easily between 5am and 6am. :drinker:
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I know the first week is the most difficult.

i like the far alarm idea!
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    I have friends that I workout with so it makes me get out of bed. If I just relied on myself I would be sleeping :)
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The more I exercise, the easier it is for me to wake up refreshed, so power through for a few weeks until it becomes habit. I had 2 weeks off from the gym and was barely able to get up at 6:30 for work, let alone 5:30 for the gym, but I went Saturday and Monday and this morning I woke up on my own at 5 and was ready to go, since I had already been in the habit. Sleep cycles are hard to break if you aren't focused on them.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My husband & I get up at 4:00 am & head to the gym. We keep each other accountable. Never fails, if one of us don’t feel like getting up…the other always makes them!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I decided I'm not going to be the same me today as I was yesterday.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    My husband wakes up really early in the morning so when he comes home he'll take an hour nap or so. I usually pop in a workout DVD then which ends up being around 4 or 5 PM.
  • unoriginalusername007
    Options
    Once you're out of bed, try washing your face and shaking out your legs and arms just to kind of wake your body up. That opens up my eyes and wakes up my groggy body. =)
  • bethcw1
    bethcw1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I knew I would never get up before work to exercise on my own, so I hired a personal trainer who come to my house. When someone that you are paying is knocking on your door, you have to get up! Now, 2 months later, I DO get up to work-out, even on days when the trainer isn't scheduled. That only is a huge accomplishment for me.