Swimming 101: what do I need to know?

Options
I'm a little late to the game, but I made the decision to finally learn how to swim. I am a TOTAL beginner - I don't even know how to float. I emailed the aquatics director at my gym and she is setting me up with someone for private lessons, but before I go...

What do I need? Swimsuit, obviously - any recs? I haven't bought a swimsuit in like, 15 years and back then it was obviously never to actually swim in. Do I need a cap? I do get my hair colored - do I even need to worry about it turning a crazy color or does that not happen anymore, lol. Goggles? Anything else?

Any tips? I mean, other than don't drown. :-) I'm excited and nervous!!

Thanks in advance... :)

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Excellent first step, setting up private lessons to learn properly from the start. PM me if you would like my full story, which I won't go into here, but I recently went for just a few private lessons to correct some stroke errors I had been making for years and had been holding me back and my swimming has taken off so much better.

I understand that frequent visits to a chlorinated pool can affect the color of some hair dyes. What you are most likely to come across is the water taking out moisture from your hair and scalp so invest in a moisturiser for before and after swims. Wearing a swim cap can help but you may find you overheat a bit and decide you are not comfortable wearing one indoors.

Costume style and fit is a personal one and a lot to do with how confident you will feel entering the pool on those first visits. Maybe go to a high end sports shop first time to treat yourself and maybe get fitted and some advice from trained staff, rather than buying from a superstore or worse - online, until you know the style and brand for you.

Goggles will really make your whole eperience so much more enjoyable. I am a spectacles wearer for short sight (minus 8 both eyes) and I am able to buy prescription lens goggles which really make a difference to my swimming experience. Again, maybe visit a sports shop where you can get good advice, though you may have to go through buying a few pairs before you find a favourite for a good fit around your eyes. A good pair for you will make all the diffrence. I have over time found a pair that I can duck dive under incoming tides in the sea and still maintain a good seal.

Use that excitement and nervousness to fuel your first lesson and above all - enjoy. You are on the threshold of a wonderful new life as a swimmer - it is all there for you to enjoy and nothing to fear.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My hair hasnt turned colors - yet! I went to Walgreens and found a foam board and its great to do some aerobics in the water. I don't swim well due to the fact my right arm doesnt go often above the shoulder. I enjoy floating on my back and swimming. Good luck to you. I thought about lessons too.:flowerforyou:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would encourage a racing-style tank swimsuit, because they are designed to stay in place during extreme motion. If you buy a more beach-type suit, you may have issues with the material slipping in an inconvenient fashion when you are moving.

I would not recommend goggles at first, because I think it is important to learn to swim without them initially. Part of learning to swim is learning to put your face in the water and open your eyes.

As far as a cap, those rubber caps that competitive swimmers wear are harder to get on than you think. I would tie your hair back if it is long, but I don't notice that chlorine does anything to my hair. If you were swimming every day for hours at a time, like a competitive swimmer, you would need to worry. You can buy shampoo and conditioner for after swimming that neutralizes the chlorine.

Good luck and have fun!
  • redbev306
    Options
    I have been a swimmer/lifeguard/swim instructor most of my life. PM me if you need more advice/support! :) a suit is probably all you'll need at first, goggles & swim cap later on, but can definitely help you feel more comfortable if you're anxious about getting your face & head submerged, etc. As far as floating goes, you'll probably be inclined to tense up if you're nervous, so try to remember to relax & a big breath of air in your lungs will help keep you floating as you're learning to get the feel for it. Best of luck in your new adventure! For me, swimming is one of the most relaxing & fun forms of exercise there is. I hope you find that in it too! :)
  • jobee3
    jobee3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips, everyone! I didn't realize you could get fitted for a suit so I will definitely need to look into that - the girls need to be locked down, lol.

I also had no idea they made prescription goggles. I am blind as a bat without my glasses, so if this is something I get into I will definitely look into those.
  • jobee3
    Options
    For me, swimming is one of the most relaxing & fun forms of exercise there is. I hope you find that in it too! :)

I have a feeling this will be my experience too. Water relaxes me - and the mere thought of being in the water has always been a good visualization technique when I'm trying to relax.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I've been swimming for competition and fitness for over 35 years. You will eventually decide what is best for you regarding goggles but I for one could never get used to the feel of water rushing against my eyes as I was swimming down the lane. There are so many really good and comfortable choices in goggles now. I've recently been teaching my 10 year old daughter a few things so she can move from leisurely swimming to working on strokes. I would say concentrate first on being able to take in air through you mouth and out through your nose. If you have full comfort with and control over your water breathing, you will never get scared or panicked in the water. Learning everything else will be much more relaxed and easier if you have complete control over breathing. That's my 2 cents....
  • jobee3
    Options
    My first lesson is tomorrow! So nervous/excited! :)
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself to be a lifelong swimmer, and I would definitely recommend googles. I don't see the purpose of getting used to having chlorinated water in your eyes. There are soft nylon/spandex(?) swim caps. If you have long hair, I would highly recommend one of these over a rubber cap. It won't keep your hair dry, but it will keep it out of your face while you swim.

It may take some time to catch on, but once you do, it's so wonderfully relaxing. Good luck and have fun!
  • Lialena
    Lialena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When you have your first lesson you'll most likely be doing a lot of standing in the shallow end, blowing bubbles, and doing things like holding on to the side, a kickboard, or your teacher learning about breathing, floating and to kick. That's an excellent time to ask questions like this, along with telling your teacher about any questions/concerns or fears you might have about swimming.

Speedo makes prescription goggles. Goggles make a world of difference to me when swimming since the chemicals in pool water bugs my eyes. Plus it's fascinating looking at things under water (more so at the beach or cottage then in a pool, but it's fun in the pool too).

You might want ear and nose plugs. See how your first lesson goes and pick them up after if you need them.

Towels. 1-2 depending on if you'll shower there after you swim or not.

Gym bag or tote bag for your swimming gear. Something breathable. Mesh sacks work well as a swimming gear bag.

Large ziploc bag. This can be handy if you will be swimming before you go somewhere else and your wet suit will be in your bag in the car for a while. It'll keep the water from soaking through your gym bag and into the fabric of your car, leaving your car smelling like pool for a few days. Note that you should not leave the suit in here for any longer then necessary, you want to rinse it out and hang it up at home.

Flip flops or crocs for walking around pool side.
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to be a competitive swimmer, so let's see if I can give you some pointers. :-)

First off, if you're swimming just to learn how to swim, a standard one-piece will do. HOWEVER, if you're using swimming to work out, I suggest getting a one piece that's a bit baggy. The bagginess of the one-piece will create drag in the water, which will cause resistance, making you work harder to get from one end of the pool to the other.

Swim caps are optional. I don't use them because they're cumbersome, but some people swear by them. They keep hair out of your face (and reduce drag from your hair); but they don't keep your hair dry. Also, if you decide to NOT use a swim cap and have long hair, USE A SECURE PONYTAIL. Don't lose it in the water. :-P

STAY HYDRATED. Since you're in the water, you can't tell that you're sweating and really working your body. But believe me, swimming kicks your butt. Stay hydrated, and stay powered up. I suggest packing a BIG water bottle and a banana (to eat after you finish working out).

YES. USE GOGGLES. They keep water out of your eyes, and you'll need to be able to see the bottom of the pool while you swim as well as your surroundings (lane lines, the edge of the pool, etc). Buy some that are nice and tight, but make sure they don't cause headaches.

Also, TAKE IT SLOW. You won't be mastering all four strokes in a week. Since you're a beginner (I was, too -- didn't know how to swim, was afraid of the deep end, etc.), it will take you a bit. But don't give up!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Best of luck!