Help steer me in the right direction

Options
I just turned 18 and want to lose 4 pounds, that's it. Once I lose those 4 pounds, I want to maintain my weight for quite a while. It's been unbelievably hard to lose these few pounds, so I joined mfp . The problem is I HATE counting calories. It makes me feel depressed for some reason. I also feel like it's turning into an obsession; I end up thinking about food and my caloric intake all day long. Is there a different way to achieve weight loss of a few lbs without counting calories? Before I started going on mfp, I ate too many nuts and being vegan, this was a large part of my diet. I didn't over eat on any other foods. I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day and exercise about 1 hour a day. Is my caloric intake too low? I'm also worried about my obsession turning into an eating disorder. Any tips or suggestions? I'm currently 119 pounds at 5'4 and reaching my goal weight of 115 pounds would make me the happiest person ever. Thanks.

Replies

• sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 119 pounds at 5'4 and reaching my goal weight of 115 pounds would make me the happiest person ever. Thanks.

Losing 4 pounds won't make you the happiest person ever. Sorry. Only you can decide to make yourself happy. Exercising is a big part of that. So is maintaining good relationships with friends and family.

As for losing the last little bit of weight, everyone here says it's the hardest to lose. Keep at it, workout hard and try new things. If counting calories makes you crazy, try focusing on eating quality foods through out the day. Like get your 5 different fruits and vegs, drink your 3 bottles of water. Whatever it is for you.

Just don't tie your happiness in with a number on the scale that you have little control over and that will change daily.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 119 pounds at 5'4 and reaching my goal weight of 115 pounds would make me the happiest person ever. Thanks.

Losing 4 pounds won't make you the happiest person ever. Sorry. Only you can decide to make yourself happy. Exercising is a big part of that. So is maintaining good relationships with friends and family.

As for losing the last little bit of weight, everyone here says it's the hardest to lose. Keep at it, workout hard and try new things. If counting calories makes you crazy, try focusing on eating quality foods through out the day. Like get your 5 different fruits and vegs, drink your 3 bottles of water. Whatever it is for you.

Just don't tie your happiness in with a number on the scale that you have little control over and that will change daily.
    Could not have said it better than this!
    OP please listen to this and really give it a lot of thought!
  • greyoutside
    Options
    I actually lost most of the weight I wanted to lose when I quit counting calories. Some days I'd eat "too much" and feel crappy about it, and other days I'd eat "too little" and feel like I needed to force feed myself. I NEVER got to stop thinking about food. It was awful.

Just eat healthy, don't eat out too much, and think about what you're putting into your body. At your height and weight you're obviously not at a point where you need the kind of strict monitoring provided by regular calorie counting.

I cut my logging down to about once a week and now about once a month just to make sure I'm on track. I just log everything at the end of whatever feels like a really normal day of eating for me so that I can tell if I need to ease up or try to eat more.

And, really, losing 4 pounds is not going to change your life. Exercising and eating well will, but if you already are and you aren't losing weight, your body is probably healthiest at 119.