afternoon snack

Options
Hi my name is Linds, just wondering if any one has a good low calorie filling afternon snack. Usually around 330pm everyday, Im looking for a little something other than fruit or vegtable to enjoy with my coffee..

Replies

• michelle_howe
    michelle_howe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love having a granola bar in the afternoon but I am in search of a "healthy" bar. They are all loaded wtih things I can't pronounce. I was considering making granola/protein bars.

I am hearing good things about Luna bars?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I put some chocolate protein powder with plain non-fat Greek yogurt. Yummy! ~200-250 Calories, 40g protein, 13g carbs, 1 g of fat.

Luna are actually some of the least nutritious bars. Try Quest or Kind.
    http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/16/the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars/#the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go for one of these, e.g.:

Cold Stone Creamery's Oh Fudge! Shake
    This colossal calorie bomb starts at 1,250 calories for the “Like It,” or small, 16-ounce size. The large 20-ounce size packs an incredible 1,920 calories (an entire day’s worth) and 69 grams of saturated fat – or the equivalent of two 16-ounce T-bone steaks, plus a buttered baked potato, according to the CSPI.

Cheesecake Factory Chocolate Tower Truffle Cake
    For the same amount of calories, you could have more than three McDonald’s Big Macs – or just one slice of Cheesecake Factory Chocolate Tower Truffle Cake. This monster packs 1,750 calories into one slice, which stands almost six inches high. The cream, butter, white flour, sugar and chocolate in the cake also fill it with 50 grams of saturated fat – 2 ½ days worth.

http://www.weather.com/health/worst-foods-you-can-buy-20130503

How about a Honeycrisp apple or a light spinach salad?
  • art3mislecter
    art3mislecter Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like cheese and apples (yes, together, and yes, I know it seems weird to some people, but is SO yummy.) Or I do carrots and light ranch dip. One of those rice cakes (usually the lightly salted one from Quaker) with peanut butter is also an awesome snack. I try to go with something with protein and something with fiber.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I always have peanuts and dark chocolate raisins. Sometimes I throw in some seeds and dried fruit. But keep the total small like 1/2 cup.
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    seaweed crackers. itsu do packs of 12 that are only 24 calories a pack. or a have a cup of bovril

both of which get me through the afternoon
  • malmbr
    malmbr Posts: 26
    Options
    The eating program I (usually) follow is eDiets and they have some great snack ideas. Some of my favorites are:
    small Fuji apple and 1 stick of light string cheese
    fresh pear and 12 whole almonds;
    1 oz Hummus and baby carrots
    Baby carrots and 1 1/3 Tbl Peanut Butter
    Cottage cheese and fruit (sometimes I'll add some sliced almonds)
    5 low-fat Triscuits and 1 oz reduced-fat cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup frozen yogurt with 3/4 oz Grape-Nuts
    4 Graham cracker squares and 1/2 Tbl peanut butter
    Packet of instant oatmeal and 3/4 cup skim milk

Right now, I'm eating a trail mix:
    3/4 oz small pretzel twists
    1 Tbl chopped walnuts
    1 Tbl sliced almonds
    1/3 Tbl raisins

Hopefully, this helps!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yogurt. , gogurt, 100 cal snack packs, fruit snacks, fruit., snapea crisps
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Clif Kidz bars have fiber and are filling but since they are made for kids not too many calories. I tend to look for kid sizes or servings of snacks.
  • jen5709
    jen5709 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    which plan on ediets do you follow
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just got done raving about this on another post about snacks... so here it is again! :smile:
    290ybex.png

Only 80 cals (compared to 100-150 for all the other greek yogurts!) and less sugar, carbs and sodium than the others. 0 fat, 12g of protein... keeps me held over between meals