Nausea while working out

Options
Have you guys found any correlation between your workouts where you get nauseas... and your workouts where you don't? From where I've been reading elsewhere it seems like maybe 1) hot rooms and 2) high heart rate causes nausea. I just did my first 20 minutes with Jillian Michaels and felt like it was a good workout but felt sick when it was over.

Replies

• galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Never felt sick but I do often get a headache immediately after a workout or run.
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My last work out was pretty intense but I wasn't nauseous during but after. I'm interested to see if anyone knows of a correlation.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If I push it really hard...and I mean REALLY hard... there are sometimes when I feel nauseous .... That is usually when I am getting the last couple of reps in of my last set on very heavy weights or when I have been going strong on the elliptical for an hour at a high resistance.

It's my body telling me I am pushing it hard
  • dnfenton
    dnfenton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally it all has to do with when I eat before the work out. If you are working out at home you can always press pause and walk around the room when your heart rate is getting to high. Just don't sit down and collapose that makes it worse. Or if it's a heat thing you can crack a window to help keep the air circulating.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i get nauseous sometimes too, just push through it & it'll stop happening. that's what they say on the show 'i used to be fat' on mtv :o) lol
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water, getting your heart rate up slowly, then letting it come down slowly, and don't overdo it. I am not sure that feeling sick afterward is a good sign...
  • classicshell
    Options
    I don't know, but usually when I start working out, I get seriously ill (fever, nausea, etc) for about 3-5 days after my first intense work out...
  • HotMomma86
    Options
    For me, I only get nauseous if I eat before a workout. Even eating an hour before can make me feel slightly sick.I felt super hungry a few days when I got up, so I ate, waited then did the Shred dvd and I felt terrible. I stick to working out first thing in the am with only water and it helps. The only workouts I can do after eating is running the treadmill. I usually wait 1-2 hours after dinner and do it and I feel fine.
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    I've only gotten sick when I haven't had enough water or nutrition for the day. Are you wearing a heart monitor ? If your heart rate is getting too high, pause the workout to catch a breath to try to avoid that. I think that's also something that causes a headache along with dehydration. Sometimes after a workout, I'll grab some low cal/low sugar juice, like Tropicana 50 Pomegranate and Blueberry to boost myself. I also saw a post about celery and peanut butter being good boosts for electrolites after a workout. Hope you figure out that cause. It's no fun to do well in a workout and then get nausea....
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I feel like passing out and throwing up after every workout but its because I going the sauna after every workout. I could just do my 45min routine and would feel a little tired but, it the sauna that makes my body feel weak and run down, if thats what your doing just skip it.

if your feeling bad after just the workout? it will pass in time.
  • louramaille
    Options
    Dehydration will make you feel this way when you work out. make sure to stay hydrated.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I did the same workout today but ensured the room was cooler, drank some water before starting and when I felt like my heart rate was high, I just took a 2 second stop or tried controlling and slowing my breathing - didn't feel sick at all today. :)
  • cathryneshine
    cathryneshine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at a moderate to high intensity 5-6 days a week for almost 3 years. About a month ago I started a new job and could not workout in the morning so I switched to late afternoon workouts. I usually workout at about 5 pm, I am in very good shape but once I started doing my workouts at night I started experiencing nausea once I would eat after my workout. I eat about 30 minutes after my workout and the nausea is debilitating. I feel like the only way to feel better is to throw up but I haven't thrown up; the nausea lasts for 60-90 minutes. Please help
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started getting really bad headaches when I'm working out also. I get headaches regularly but when I workout I'll get a headache even if I've taken something earlier and they are terrible. I just kinda hold my head and force myself to keep going. Anyone else?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It means you're out of shape if doing 30 day shred makes you nauseous. Nausea is usually a sign that your body is reaching it's limit and wants you to stop. As your fitness level improves the nausea will go away.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Drinking water during exercise can make me feel really sick, even taking small sips. any tips to help with this? I do muay thai so it's a pretty full on workout, need the fluids but can only take the smallest amounts otherwise I feel like I am gonna hurl
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    This only happened to me when I was pregnant
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I don't get nauseous. I sometimes get BMs from my pre-workout :laugh:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Happened to me a few times. My heart rate is usually high, I think the nausea and dizziness was a mix of dehydration and high blood pressure due to overexertion. One step at a time.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eating hour before wkout or heat exhaustion, too much water before wkout. Those have been my experiences