Plain non-fat yogurt...HELP!

Options
jupdyke
jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
Okay, so I bought some plain, non fat yogurt and I just can't do it...it is bitter with no flavor. I even tried to add some berries, but not doable for my tastebuds. I have a big tub of it. I am totally open to any healthy suggestions you may have for me....THANKS :)

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt is an aquired taste...that can be aquired. First, next time don't worry about the nonfat necessarily. Note, this is my personal opinion as I prefer healthy fats. Concentrate on the quality of the yogurt. If you can get your hands on white moutain bulgarian yogurt, that is good. Wallaby greek style is good too.

As far as aquiring the taste. Start with a bowl of fresh fruit, anywhere between a half cup and a cup. Lightly coat the fruit with yogurt. No more than 1-2 oz. Add a small handful of walnuts. And perhaps some chia seeds. If you want more yogurt in there, add a little honey to sweeten it.

Before you know it, you will probably love plain yogurt and they flavored kinds will gross you out.

Note: i also use yogurt as a substitute in dishes that call for mayo or sour cream. Usually, mixing the two. But never replace it for mayo on a sandwich! Yuck! More like in potato salad.
  • dougless
    Options
    Agree on the acquired taste point. Good plain greek yogurt (I also don't go for non-fat, but rather 2% Fage) will grow on you.

A couple tips that I used to use (occasionally still do):
    1) Add a little stevia.
    2) Add a little cinammon and stevia
    3) Buy some vanilla or chocolate protein powder (or ready-to-drink shakes) and mix a bit in with the yogurt.
  • sweetlyybroken
    sweetlyybroken Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I make one of my favorite snacks with this! A low cal berry parfait!

I use a small glass, and add

1/4 cup plain non fat yogurt
    6-8 raspberries
    4 strawberries, chopped
    1/4 cup blueberries
    1-2 packets stevia
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    **optional**
    1 tsp granola
    1 tsp cocoa powder (if you want it chocolate)

Ranges from 75 - 100 calories and it's amazing!
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    Note: i also use yogurt as a substitute in dishes that call for mayo or sour cream. Usually, mixing the two. But never replace it for mayo on a sandwich! Yuck! More like in potato salad.

I agree for the sour cream, I've just eaten it on potatoes or taco salad.
  • farniente8
    farniente8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I put a little maple syrup in to sweeten it. Very yummy with fruit and walnuts.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    the answer is always "just add bacon"
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I find that when i add in pineapple it really helps the taste. I also find that if i put it in a small tupperware the night before the fruit has time to blend in.

I also like to add chocolate protein powder and then it is like having chocolate pudding.

I have mixed it with salsa and topped baked potatoes with it.
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I put 2 packets of stevia and one tablespoon of cocoa powder in it and let it sit in the fridge over night. It's still a littler bitter, but creamy and chocolate. I like it a lot.

Another thing I want to try is flavored stevia. My mom's been using it in water and really likes it, I'd like to try it in plain yogurt. You can get it on amazon.com.

Try a few things, find what you like, then expand on it! Good luck!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can use it as a cream in sauces...also use it as a sub for oil in cake recipes which I feel works better than doing the sprite cakes (ewww) be sure to also add a tsp of vanilla with it however. At least this way you won't waste the yogurt that you just bought. :bigsmile:
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Three things I've done with it...

1. Yogurt, frozen banana, 2-3 tablespoons of PB2 in a blender.

2. Yogurt, a container of sugar free jello chocolate pudding, teaspoon of cocoa blended

3. Yogurt, splash of vanilla, 2-3 tablespoons of PB2 blended

P.S. sweeten with stevia, honey, etc. to taste
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I add fresh (or frozen and thawed) berries and a packet or two of stevia. It actually tastes much better than the store bought flavored yogurts that way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sugar free maple syrup
  • Rebeck725
    Options
    Try Fage 0% Total with Honey - the honey comes in its own little packet on the side - take a spoonful of the yogurt, scoop up a little honey, and you'll be in heaven!!
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I still it the flavored Chobani tubs, but they are so amazingly delicious. I love making these biscuits when I buy the plain Greek yogurt (2%).

http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2013/03/04/greek-yogurt-biscuits/ I got about 13 biscuits out of the recipe and they were about 105 calories each. Top with a little bit of fake butter and jam. Delicious!
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I made a great yogurt dip for my fruit this morning... a tbs or two of yogurt, stevia to taste, and a little vanilla! It was great!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Smoothies!! Plain or not, it tastes the same once its in a smoothie.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Sugar free maple syrup

That exists?????!!!

Blasphemy. Maple syrup is the single best food in the world, it should never be altered in that way.

Sincerely,
    Girl who may be biased because her parents live next to a maple tree farm and gets free maple syrup.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Crystal light, wonderful! Especially like with Greek yogurt, great source of protein.
  • barbaradetz
    barbaradetz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use nonfat Greek yogurt and add packets of Splenda before I add the fruit. Its a much healthier option than yogurt with sugar and fruit iike the pre-mixed fruit yogurts that are available.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    throw it out or find a recipe for it...I wont sugar coat it..yuck