what do you think about Wii Fit? does it work?

Options
Do you think using the Wii Fit everyday besides eatting healthy will help you lose weight?

I've read that some people say yes it does and then some people say no it doesnt.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump for responses
  • sbatz111
    sbatz111 Posts: 35
    Options
    I think it depends on your fitness level when you start. I used to do Wii fit all the time for exercise, and it was great. It was something I could actually do, and I worked up a sweat and had sore muscles in the morning. As I got into better shape, though, it didn't work as well. I don't do it often anymore, because I don't feel like I'm working out anymore on it.

Edit: Zumba for Wii still works for me though!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My mom has been using Wii fit for years, and hasn't lost a pound. I tried it out, and it wasn't very challenging. Maybe the new programs that are available for it are better, but I found it to be only slightly more of a workout than sitting.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great alternative to playing video games. I wouldn't count on it as my main fitness activity, though.

If you are really in to the 'game' element of fitness, I would use Fitocracy or the challenge features on an app like endomondo to bring the competition and challenges to more traditional fitness activities, like lifting weights, running, walking, biking, etc. Fitness that stands the test of time.
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I got Wii Fit years ago when I first started working out and tracking my food. My opinion is that it's amusing and I still use it to track my weight and occasionally do a few yoga stretches. However I don't think that it is much of a work out. I think unless you are super super obese you can do more exercise than that.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I hated the Wii Fit I didnt find that I burned many calories (using HRM).. however... I just played 82 mins of nonstop Just Dance 4 drenched in sweat, got a workout for sure (851 calories) but thats nonstop and really getting 'into' it.
  • kimmation
    Options
    Agree with the sentiments above. It wasn't enough of a workout to see any significant results. It was certainly better than sitting on the couch, but the workouts weren't challenging enough and it really felt like more of a game than a real workout.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use it occasionally, and in the winter, when I can't/won't get out of the house, I put it on. It is no longer my main source of burning, but it beats sitting on the couch. I use it when I am watching a show, I put on the step thing, and burn a few cals while watching something on TV.

It is fun, it is moving my body, and it is better than nothing. :bigsmile:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    When I was just getting back into exercise and weighed over 200 pounds, I used the Wii fit. Once I became more fit (after a month or so), it no longer challenged me. That being said, there are DVD workouts available for it (like The Biggest Loser and Zumba) that would most likely be very effective.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My cousin lost quite a bit of weight with it. Seeing as walking is a great exercise to help create a deficit, I don't see why wii fit shouldn't be used as a replacement for that type of cardio. The rhythm boxing really makes me sweat and the running game is a good way to make yourself move for a while.

I still can't do a lot of the bodyweight exercises either, especially as the wii fit insists that you do everything slowly and thoroughly. While some things are easy, harder levels open up as you play longer, like the push-up challenge.

For a real sweat, the Zumba or Just Dance games are very effective for me because I put my all into them. I prefer Zumba on the wii to a class because the quality of instruction is uniform and I can create my own workouts with a higher proportion of challenging songs.

Finally, to give you some context, I can run 5K, completed the 30 Day Shred and am at a healthy weight, but still think the wii has it's place and can provide some challenge.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As an end all, be all. No.

I mean someone that works out regularly maynot find it challenging, but someone starting out, may. I know some people that work up quite a sweat, but that is their goal, and that is the key. (They have added hand weights and additional step heights, etc.. But I also know others who would probably consider it playing a video game.

The reality is to lose weight and burn fat, you need diet AND exercise. If it gets you moving, then great. If you are up and moving but looking to add something, in that case you might be disappointed. Everybody is a little different.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I like it for the graphs it makes of your weight, but there are much better wii games for fitness. Examples:

Any Just Dance game
    EA Sports Active 2.0
    Golds Gym Cardio Workout (shape boxing)
    Your Shape