What do you do to help you stay feeling full?

Options
I've lost 20 pounds but am beginning to struggle with feeling hungry on my reduced calorie diet. I need some ideas!

I am at 1500 calories per day - which puts me at about .6 pounds lost per week, but I have 40 years of overeating and eating whatever bad habits to overcome. Feeling discouraged and like I'm just going to have to be hungry all the time to accomplish my goal.
I have 30 more pounds to go to goal and it seems like a lot right now.

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I DRINK water, tea, more water.. eat protein and meet my calorie goal
  • jcnmilton
    Options
    I'm drinking lots of water - but still feel hungry. Not sure if this is physical or emotional/psychological hunger.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    My latest tactic to feel full is eating leafy greens. I'm trying to do that to keep from eating the junk food in my office.

One cup of steamed kale has 36 calories. Two cups of steamed collard greens has 100 calories, half my calcium for the day, and tons of iron and vitamin A. Add a little olive oil, or sea salt, or toasted sesame seeds (30 calories a spoon).
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    protein and fiber do the trick for me. I do NOT eat a low carb diet, but I have found that carbs don't help keep me full the way protein and fiber (and a little bit of healthy fat) do.
  • megfischer
    megfischer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are many low calorie substitute foods to enjoy in place of what you used to eat. Some examples include; 80 calorie tortillas wrapped around raw veg, 60 calorie light activia, Dannon oikos dips (25 cal for 2 tbsp) with Eat Right popped crisps or raw veggies, light ice cream (90cal) on a wafer cone (20 cal), and for the water, drink before or after you eat something , not alone. Final suggestion, find out about Hungry Girl website and Food Network show. She has a daily newsletter on line full of filling low cal foods since, like you she's always hungry! Good luck and God Bless
  • jimfoxer
    jimfoxer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you keep a food diary. You need to add a section in your diary for "satiety", and that is how well the food kept you feeling full and for how long. You will then see a pattern of what is keeping you full, and what is not.

There are basic biological rules that will help. Protein signals the brain that you are full. EVERY meal you have should have protein in it to make you feel full. Fiber also helps to keep you feeling full longer.

For example, my breakfasts consist of 227g (one cup) of Fage Greek Yogurt, three teaspoons of Splenda, 10g of ground flaxseed (must be ground, and do it yourself since ground seed will go rancid within 5-7 days and must be kept in the fridge), and then I throw in 140g of something like Bare Naked Fit granola. This whole breakfast consists of 269 calories and keeps me full for hours!! The high protein content of the Greek yogurt is what does the trick.

Also, I buy a container of egg whites. One serving is 25 calories, and I usually use 3 servings. I scramble them up (no oil!) and throw them on salad. Again, high protein, the full feeling lasts for hours.

Things to avoid, as you've heard before, are carbs - especially white breads, pastas, etc. The white versions lack all fiber and instead spike the insulin (making you feel hungry) and they won't make you feel like you've eaten anything until you've eaten your daily calories in bread, and won't be full to show it. If you have cravings, find the heartiest breads with the most fiber - Ezekial 4:9 bread is a sprouted grain bread, and will make you feel more full than other breads. Make sure there is protein on that bread, or you won't feel full. I sometimes buy 10 lbs of chicken breast, cook them all up on the grill at once, and use them throughout the week in sandwiches, salads, egg white omlettes, etc.

Find recipes for things you like which are high in protein. There are many pancake recipes that use Greek yogurt and powdered whey protein. I top with a little Agave nectar (better for blood glucose levels) and blueberries (superfood). Then you can eat pancakes (if you love them) and they will keep you full all the way through to your next meal.

Also, substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream in recipes. I buy pre-cut veggies (I'm lazy), and mix 2 cups of Greek Yogurt with a package of onion soup mix to make Onion Dip. It tastes great on my veggies, adds little calories as compared to other dips, and has the protein to fill you up when you need a snack.

I know it is difficult, but if you make changes in your diet, you can do it. I've been keeping my calories at 1600, and have found it quite doable if I make sure my protein remains high. I also will take 10grams of chia seed and put it in 8oz of water, and wait 15 minutes until it turns into a gel. It has an interesting consistency when you drink it, but if you can get past it, it will already fill your stomach, causing you to eat less.

Good luck! You can do it, really.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    Cut back on breads, grains, pasta, potatoes, replace with fresh veggies cooked however you want. (not battered and deep fried) You can eat a LOT of veggies as they are so low in calories. Broccoli, zucchini squash (this stuff can be used like pasta), lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes, asparagus, cauliflower (mock mashed potatoes), green beans, bell peppers, onion, brussel sprouts, cabbage, leeks, carrots, celery are some inexpensive low calorie choices.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting helps me. I look at my overall weekly calorie consumption and go low a couple days a week by skipping breakfast and lunch or just doing juice/smoothie fasts. I find that I am less hungry in the mornings, and when I do start feeling hungry in the afternoons, I am better able to ignore it than at night.

Then when I do break my fast, I eat until I feel nice and stuffed. Surprisingly, I eat less overall than I would have if I had eaten breakfast and lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whole grain stuff if you're going to have bread or pasta. Lots of proteins. I like quest protein bars to keep me full (haven't found any other that works as well). Otherwise I was filling up on veggies and plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit the first few weeks to keep me full. I haven't tried egg whites yet but it's on my list.

Water has never worked for me either.
  • jcnmilton
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have tried several ways - high carb/whole grain/oatmeal overload, high fat and low carb, high protein, etc.

The only thing that has consistently satiated me is protein!
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I snack on spinach, raw cauliflower, carrot and broccoli - grated carrot takes forever to eat. That and plenty of water. Alternatively I play games on facebook such as bejewelled, scrabble, etc which stops me thinking about food :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of proteins and fats to stay fuller for longer. I typically eat peanuts for snacks.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get 8 cups or more water per day, I typically eat over on my protein and fiber goals; those help you feel full longer. As long as I am in my calorie goal I don't worry about going over on the protein. cut out sugar as it typically will give you a small burst of energy and then you crash after and feel hungry again. My diary is public if you want to take a look at it for some ideas
  • BooBoo1264
    BooBoo1264 Posts: 164
    Options
    Honestly i find that if you just drink your 8-10 glasses of water and ICE cold water when you have the urge to snack it stops that feeling.

If its still overpowering. Choose something like almonds or vegetables. :D
  • tfitzge3infl
    Options
    eat your protein and veggies, then don't drink anything for at least 30 mins after your meal. then you can drink water. if you are eating and drinking at the same time when your drink the water or liquids wash out the food you just ate so no drinking while eating. think about it, are you head hungery or are you really hungery. if it's head hunger drink water or get out of the house and do something walk the dog or go for a walk, get on the computer, anything to get your mind away from food
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I ensure all snacks and meals contain a decent amount of protein.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Eat between 5-6 smaller meals a day. Drink lots of water and eat lots of protein. I'm never hungry.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water. Keep busy to keep yourself from boredom eating. Look at healthy foods that you can eat more of rather than junk.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The proper balance of carbs/protein/fat at every meal.