when you change your shoes

Options
I was wondering at what mileage do most of you change your shoes? I know most shoes should be changed out after a good 6 months, but what about running all the time?

also, do you have any suggestions for good shoes? I don't have any place around here to get custom fitted, so i am looking for a good off the shelf pair.

Replies

• maja124moxie
    maja124moxie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Normal standard is between 300-500 miles. But I go by the feel of the shoe. Once I start feeling they are not supportive as they used to be I update my shoes.
    It's hard to recomend a shoe since everybody is different. I pronate so I ended up with Asics GT-2000. They are very comfortable and perfect for my foot. They also offer lot of structural control.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'll usually change mine around the 500 mile mark, sometimes sooner, but I'll know it's time when I start getting unusual aches and pains that aren't volume related.

It's hard to recommend a shoe without knowing more about your feet etc. here's a tip from runners world

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

that may help point you in the right direction.

Despite all of the advances in shoe design etc over the past 20 years the rates of injury to runners haven't changed significantly which has led some researchers to suggest that the most important thing is how the shoe fits (rather than whether it's control or cushioning or stability) but that still means you need to be able to try shoes on before you buy.

If you're unsure about which type of shoe to get most runners can use a neutral/cushioning. Best thing I can suggest is for you to visit some of the she manufacturers' websites to check which of their models are neutral to give you an idea of which shoes to be looking at. Even if you end up going to a big box sports store take your time and try on several pairs before making your decision - they should be comfortable right out of the box. Anyone who tells you they need to be broken in is mistaken......
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I was wondering at what mileage do most of you change your shoes? I know most shoes should be changed out after a good 6 months, but what about running all the time?

also, do you have any suggestions for good shoes? I don't have any place around here to get custom fitted, so i am looking for a good off the shelf pair.

I change mine every 500 miles. The ones I use are Saucony Progrid CS2 but they were fitted especially for my own particular running gait, so they may not be suitable for some other runners.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it depends on the shoe. My last pair of Mizunos had around 250 but the cushioning and tread were pretty much gone. Shoe life is very dependent on design, tread composition, and weight and running style of the individual runner.

No recommendation for shoe brand, I like Mizuno, Brooks, and Asics. Saucony isn't bad either.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    500 miles is what I have been told, give or take of course. You'll know when they start to break down. As for shoes, I am absolutely in love with my Hoka's.

Rigger
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    Mizuno and Brooks have interactive online fitting guides. I've used both and they recommended the same pairs that were recommended to me at the specialty running store where I got fitted, so maybe they work fairly well?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to put a timestamp on it. Even miles will vary. I change mine whenever I see significant wear on the treads OR when I feel a breakdown in the support.

As for "good" shoes... they are all good, and they are all bad. "good" vs "bad" comes down to fit. Brand, color, etc is irrelevant. Fit is 95% of it. Weight and breathability (or whatever the word is) make up the other 5% (for me).

• kalyrichmond
    kalyrichmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometime between 400 and 500 miles. You can usually tell when they start to break down too much, your feet will start hurting during/after your run and you'll be able to feel more debris through the shoes. You can sometimes stretch the mileage on your shoes by getting some new sole inserts but from what I understand that will only stretch it another 100 - 200 miles tops.
  • Rosebudevol
    Rosebudevol Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. I will look into those sights. I Have had the ones I am using now since Christmas, been putting lots of millage on them. I imagine they are getting close to time to become lawn mowing shoes.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A good running shop will help you find a pair of shoes that meets your needs. I went to one recently (Pacers in the DC area), and they did the whole measurement rigmarole; then they found me a few different options starting with something very basic. I tried the basic pair on, ran on the treadmill for a little, and then saw the video footage of my feet hitting the treadmill. I was still pronating a decent amount, so I tried another pair with more support, ran on the treadmill, and then compared that footage to the first. Much less pronation. It was a really neat process and/or I'm easily entertained. I ended up with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 13, which work for me. I recommend finding a shop that does something similar and has a decent return policy, because a few seconds on the treadmill can only tell you so much.

ETA: So much for my literacy. I just noticed the OP wants to buy off the shelf. Ignore most of what I said but stick with checking out the return policy!
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There is a custom shoe place in Clarksville called Clarksville Runner's Hub. I just went there after trying to buy two different pairs of running shoes for myself--one a Hibbetts and then another online. It's quite a drive (not to mention gas money) for a pair of shoes though. My mother lives in Clarksville so I stopped by for a visit while there.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options

If you feel any discomfort, new sensations it's time to replace. If you get any holes in the upper, time to replace. Shoe wear is based on use, not time. Heavier runners will wear out shoes faster than lighter runners. EVA breaks down over time whether you use it or not (albeit slowly). Avoid the washing machine and NEVER run them through the dryer. If you absolutely must dry your shoes quickly, remove the insoles and stuff with newspaper / newsprint.

Minimalist shoes are a different beast, but they still need to be replaced at intervals.

If you are perfectly neutral, try a minimal shoe. Nike Free Run is a good transition shoe from traditional running to "barefoot". I avoid Adidas at all cost. New Balance, Saucony, Brooks are all the same to me. Pearl Izumi is a slight step up followed by Mizuno, then Asics. I've tried them all and I'm stuck on Nike for the best combination of fit and durability. I'm also a fan of xtenex laces (now that knotty boys were discontinued). They cost, but I've used the same pair for almost 18 months (across three pairs of shoes). They really improve the fit.