How to lose the last 3 inches on lower abs

Options
How to lose the last 3 inches on my lower abs?! It's killing me!

What do you do?

Replies

• pez9375
    pez9375 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i need an answer to this too! I seem to be losing inches in other places but not in the stomach/waist area.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    depends on the condition of your LBM, if you have dieted in a fairly crash course way with little weight training along the way, you may have to get ridiculously stick thin until you see them abs due to your lack of muscle. Only thing you can do is ensure you tone up with heavy lifting and make sure you are in a healthy position to have abs.

Your body may leave your lower ab fat as the absolute last bit of fat to go, there really is just no knowing. In my case for example:

I was over 15 stone, decided I wanted abs. I imagined getting to 13 stone and having them.. at 13 stone I could see my top abs but not my lower.. so I figured only a few pounds more maybe? I ended up going down to 11 stone 10 and still not seeing them! I knew I had to then bulk and tone or I would have to go down to 11 stone and look like utter chit with abs.
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting. Look up the IF group on MFP. In a month when those 3 inches are gone, please send me an update.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Allen
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting. Look up the IF group on MFP. In a month when those 3 inches are gone, please send me an update.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Allen

Take this with a pinch of salt, meal timings and frequencies have little bearing on your weight loss. In fact I did IF for a month and I stopped loosing weight for a month! it works for some but not for all. This will not help you if you still have little muscle mass and have to drop to an unhealthy weight just to see abs.
  • BigLynxae
    BigLynxae Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, no matter what anyone says, there is no way to spot-reduce, to get rid of fat in a specific area of your body. The body just doesn't work like that.

Mostly, I would focus on working the transverse abs which are underneath that area and build more muscle there to help tone it out. A good exercise is the reverse crunch.

Otherwise, continue with your nutrition and fitness regimens and eventually those 3 inches will disappear. :)
  • ALLENFLO
    Options
    Take this with a grain of salt. Look at the IF boards and there aren't very many negative comment there. Just saying..
  • ALLENFLO
    Options
  • ALLENFLO
    Options
    Truthfully, no matter what anyone says, there is no way to spot-reduce, to get rid of fat in a specific area of your body. The body just doesn't work like that.

Mostly, I would focus on working the transverse abs which are underneath that area and build more muscle there to help tone it out. A good exercise is the reverse crunch.

Otherwise, continue with your nutrition and fitness regimens and eventually those 3 inches will disappear. :)

Just asking. Did you just say there is no way to spot reduce and then say to do specific exercises to spot reduce?
  • BigLynxae
    BigLynxae Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Just asking. Did you just say there is no way to spot reduce and then say to do specific exercises to spot reduce?

No, there is NO way to spot-reduce. The body and human metabolism do not function that way.

And then I gave exercises for toning up the MUSCLE under the area that they are trying to reduce. More muscle = higher metabolic rate at rest.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Only thing you can do is ensure you tone up with heavy lifting and make sure you are in a healthy position to have abs.

Take this with a grain of salt! Whilst I'm sure heavy lifting does work, it's definitely NOT the "only thing you can do". I got rid of mine with relatively easily pilates, and I've had a baby 10 months ago so I had loose/thin skin in that area.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In the past 9 weeks I have lost 4 1/2 inches off my hips, 3 inches off my waist (at belly button) ad 3 inches off my thighs. I did this by netting between 1200-1300 calories per day and doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout video and now her Ripped in 30 workout video. I have built up muscle like I've never seen doing these videos - Not bulky muscle, but toned, fit-looking muscle. I have defined ab muscle where I never did before. I'd highly recommend either of these workouts for shredding stubborn fat. No you won't be able to spot reduce, but I don't think you will be disappointed in your results!
  • ALLENFLO
    Options

No, there is NO way to spot-reduce. The body and human metabolism do not function that way.

And then I gave exercises for toning up the MUSCLE under the area that they are trying to reduce. More muscle = higher metabolic rate at rest.

So I think we all know that fat covers up the muscle so building up the muscle does what to reduce the fat?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

No amount of crunches is going to build muscle if OP is eating at a deficit; certainly not enough to raise BMR anyway.

To OP - eat at a deficit while strength training, preferably doing the big compound lifts, to decrease BF%.
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options

This! Jillian Michaels seems to say a similar thing. What you're talking about is losing those last few "vanity pounds" and it is tough (I'm trying at the moment too - I just want a super flat stomach for that bikini I'm gonna flaunt!!!) All the ab work in the world aint gonna help if your stomach still has a layer of fat so that's where diet comes in. I believe the only way to do it is to continue your exercise but also ensure your diet is as clean and full of good quality food as possible. Limit alcohol and go easy on the "treats"!
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I have the same question as the OP
    I have also seen great results with JM 30 DS but still need to lose those couple of inches.
  • melissadsims
    melissadsims Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm interested in only sustainable ways so if I can't do it long term then no!

I do 30 mins of cardio and 30 mins of strength training 5-6 days a week. I am constantly changing my machines and workouts.
    I have built muscle and lost fat and inches. But my stomach seems to have slowed down on the fat loss. I'm still losing inches in my thighs and arms. But my abdominal area is the pesky one I care the most about!

I do all sorts of ab work as well as full body.

Is there a particular exercise that worked for you as far as building abs and maybe ones where you saw a lot of fat loss?

I'm at the harder stage where it's slow at coming off.

I eat 1600-1700 calories a day, mainly raw/clean foods but don't refuse stuff that isn't. I just aim for primarily clean. (I have a sweet tooth so I cave at times)

But as a whole I eat well and try and balance everything.

Just looking for ideas!
  • beepermad
    beepermad Posts: 198
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. It's genetics. Keep lifting.
  • wareje
    wareje Posts: 42
    Options
    bumping :) same boat!
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I like my abs so much i keep a layer of fat over them so no one will steal them :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Take this with a pinch of salt
    Take this with a grain of salt
    Take this with a grain of salt!

Here's that grain of salt for everyone...

grain-of-salt.jpg