Weight training....need advice :)

Options
I just started using free weights again last week and I am really loving it. My question is, what is the best way to train...should I be doing a full body workout each day like I have been or should I focus on upper body one day and lower body the other day? Also, how many exercises do you recommend per muscle group? I have been trying to do 2 different exercises per muscle group but I am limited for time some days. I am planning 3 days weights / 3 days HIIT cardio each week.

I just want to make sure I am getting the best workout I can.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• DuchessOfDark
    DuchessOfDark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I can only get one - two sessions in in a week I do full body.

If you're able to get four sessions a week you should break into areas to allow for repair. I like to combine chest/back, tri/biceps, shoulders/core, legs/core.

Bodybuilding.com is a good place to research. :-)
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    full body workouts are fine for people just getting back into things, eventually you'll want to do more advanced programs, or spread out your workouts like

chest/triceps monday
    legs/abs Wednesday
    back/biceps friday
    shoulders saturday

going for strength do 1-5 reps
    trying to build muscle 8-12

^just one example of many

but like a poster said before me, bodybuilding.com is a great place for lifting info, just avoid the misc if you're looking for legit info
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    While you're beginning, do full body workouts every workout, with a rest day between. Concentrate on the compound lifts: squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, rows, lat pulldowns. If you want to do isolation exercises on top of the core compound lifts, do them at the end of your workout, and don't be worry if you have to skip them if you're exhausted or don't have time.

When the weights get heavy, you'll eventually find that one day of rest won't be enough. When this happens, you can change up to a split of some kind. But until then, work your whole body every other day.

Check out Starting Strength of Stronglifts 5x5 programs. They've worked for thousands of people.
  • FloyMcCaudie
    FloyMcCaudie Posts: 1,132
    Options
    full body workouts are fine for people just getting back into things, eventually you'll want to do more advanced programs, or spread out your workouts like

chest/triceps monday
    legs/abs Wednesday
    back/biceps friday
    shoulders saturday

going for strength do 1-5 reps
    trying to build muscle 8-12

^just one example of many

but like a poster said before me, bodybuilding.com is a great place for lifting info, just avoid the misc if you're looking for legit info

thats prolly best one if you are bulkin.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What do you want to achieve?

aesthetics, strength, something else?

Do you want to win powerlifting or weightlifting competitions? Do you want to win bodybuilding or figure competitions? Do you want to build big muscles, or do you want to cut fat?

There is no one answer to your question, it depends on the end goal.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    What do you want to achieve?

aesthetics, strength, something else?

Do you want to win powerlifting or weightlifting competitions? Do you want to win bodybuilding or figure competitions? Do you want to build big muscles, or do you want to cut fat?

There is no one answer to your question, it depends on the end goal.

I am a female so I just want to lose the rest of my weight and get that nice lean sculpted look. I wouldn't mind gaining some strength especially in my upper body. I just want to be healthy and look good, no competitions here :)

I have been doing compound lifts as well as some isolation exercises.