Success stories eating 1200 net calories

Options

Replies

• PVsDad
    PVsDad Posts: 2
    Options
    I was very confused by this Goal/Net business. Now that I've read this thread, I'm pretty sure I get it, but I'm still kind of weary of following it. MFP gave me a Goal of 1400. Yesterday I ate 1596. I was not hungry at all. No need to eat anything else. Using an app on my phone (Striiv) to measure my exercise (it only measures steps), I had an exercise calorie count of 987. This put my net at 609 leaving a remaining 791 to meet my goal. There is NO WAY I was going to eat another 791 calories! I had already eaten dessert! So according to this thread, I had an extremely unhealthy day yesterday? I just don't get it.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I was very confused by this Goal/Net business. Now that I've read this thread, I'm pretty sure I get it, but I'm still kind of weary of following it. MFP gave me a Goal of 1400. Yesterday I ate 1596. I was not hungry at all. No need to eat anything else. Using an app on my phone (Striiv) to measure my exercise (it only measures steps), I had an exercise calorie count of 987. This put my net at 609 leaving a remaining 791 to meet my goal. There is NO WAY I was going to eat another 791 calories! I had already eaten dessert! So according to this thread, I had an extremely unhealthy day yesterday? I just don't get it.

What is there not to get? netting 609 calories is not good. Its not that hard to understand really. If your BMR is 1500 (from just living, breathing, blinking, you name it), plus you exercised 900 calories, that is a total of 2400 calories a 500 calorie deficit would put you at 1900 calories for the day. A couple days at 600 calories wont kill you but it will slow your metabolism down over time and eventually stall your weight loss, and pretty soon you wont have the energy for a 900 calorie burn.
  • pastorgladys
    Options
    I liked your post! Will consider the weekly total...I too am on 1200 calories Thanks!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The most confusing thing on MFP is if you should eat back your exercise calories or not.

I honestly don't get why people are so freaking confused at this?

Even before I started reading the forums I realised pretty quickly (like, instantly) that MFP was DESIGNED to achieve an optimum NET calorie GOAL for the day. Clue in the word "GOAL".
  • PVsDad
    PVsDad Posts: 2
    Options

What is there not to get? netting 609 calories is not good. Its not that hard to understand really. If your BMR is 1500 (from just living, breathing, blinking, you name it), plus you exercised 900 calories, that is a total of 2400 calories a 500 calorie deficit would put you at 1900 calories for the day. A couple days at 600 calories wont kill you but it will slow your metabolism down over time and eventually stall your weight loss, and pretty soon you wont have the energy for a 900 calorie burn.

Just to verify:

I calculated my BRM to about 2000. If I exercise 900 calories, it gives me a total of 2900. If I want a deficit of 500, I need to eat 2400 calories a day. So in MFP, I set my goal to 1500 (Food = 2400, Exercise = 900, Net = 1500). Is that right?

By the way, I'm not an idiot. I've just never tried anything like this before. Be patient with me.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    In everyone else defense I was pretty confused in the beginning too. 2 years ago I joined MFP. It told me my goal was 1200, I ate my 1200. I exercised and it told me to eat those calories again but I refused to for 2 reasons, 1 it seemed like in my mind at the time, why would I eat what I just burned, thats dumb and 2 I was reading all these amazing success stories of people eating 1200 calories, (they didn't say if they were netting or not) So I did that for almost a year. I lost 50lbs really fast. Then I crashed, burned out, couldn't/wouldn't work out, slept too much, and slowly after a few weeks gave up all together, put on another 20lbs and here I am again. Blah.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options

Just to verify:

I calculated my BRM to about 2000. If I exercise 900 calories, it gives me a total of 2900. If I want a deficit of 500, I need to eat 2400 calories a day. So in MFP, I set my goal to 1500 (Food = 2400, Exercise = 900, Net = 1500). Is that right?

By the way, I'm not an idiot. I've just never tried anything like this before. Be patient with me.

I totally understand I was there too and completely confused. You know 600 calories a day isn't good regardless of knowing or understanding anything else.

Go to iifym.com. It allows you to precisely calculate your entire day to get a true measure of how active you are (it even lets you put in the hours that you are sleeping, working, exercising etc. It is the most helpful calculator I've found. Once you get that number deduct 15 or 20 % from it to have your deficit, it'll probably end up being around 500 calories. Then that is your goal (for your workout days) sincei t takes into account your exercise and activities you will not eat back your exercise calories at that point.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    So let me get this right so I can hopefully understand. I usually exercise about 600-700 calories per day, sometimes as much as 1200 calories. Sometimes as few as 300. MFP suggests that I eat about 1480 calories a day. You guys are saying that I should be NETTING 1480? I usually NET between 600-900 on average, sometimes less on my 1200 calorie workout days.

MFP told you to eat 1480 calories a day and you're a guy? That seems waaaaay too low.

I imagine you'll be losing a lot of lean muscle mass netting such a small amount of calories?
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am having some slow success - lost 3.5kg in 2 months on 1200, not doing much exercise, but generally I do eat back my exercise cals.

Also would just like to comment that I am always amazed at how many people say theye struggle to eat their exercise calories back, if thats the case, however did we get fat!!!!

-I apreciate that not everyone on here is over weight, just super into their fitness!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Also would just like to comment that I am always amazed at how many people say theye struggle to eat their exercise calories back, if thats the case, however did we get fat!!!!

I call people out on this all the time!

I'm not even over weight - just losing some vanity weight really - but I would still eat 3000 calories in a blink of an eye if I wasn't watching my weight.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    For the past couple months I have been eating 1200 NET calories and losing slowly. Then recently I started eating 1200 GROSS calories and I've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks.

Because I'm eating on the low-end of the calorie spectrum, I carb-cycle once every 3 days to prevent a stall via my metabolism from adapting to my low intake. You can't cut down from 1200 calories, so I'm careful not to let my body get too comfy, because if I get stuck I've pretty much backed myself up into a corner eating that low of an intake.

I also pre-plan my meals to ensure I'm getting the nutrients I need. The less you eat the more at risk you are for malnutrition. Eating low calorie (along with carb cycling for that matter) takes precise planning. If you leave your diet up to 'whatever you feel like that day' and you're eating 1200 calories, chances are you will fall short of a laundry list of nutrients your body needs to stay healthy.

1200 calories IS NOT for everyone, but for some it works.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    For the past couple months I have been eating 1200 NET calories and losing slowly. Then recently I started eating 1200 GROSS calories and I've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks.

Because I'm eating on the low-end of the calorie spectrum, I carb-cycle once every 3 days to prevent a stall via my metabolism from adapting to my low intake. You can't cut down from 1200 calories, so I'm careful not to let my body get too comfy, because if I get stuck I've pretty much backed myself up into a corner eating that low of an intake.

I also pre-plan my meals to ensure I'm getting the nutrients I need. The less you eat the more at risk you are for malnutrition. Eating low calorie (along with carb cycling for that matter) takes precise planning. If you leave your diet up to 'whatever you feel like that day' and you're eating 1200 calories, chances are you will fall short of a laundry list of nutrients your body needs to stay healthy.

did you ever read tortoise and the hare when you were a kid?
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Yes, and just because my diet may not work for you doesn't mean I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing.

It works for me and I'm losing weight. Everyone is different. End of story.

If that's where you were headed....
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Yes, and just because my diet may not work for you doesn't mean I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing.

It works for me and I'm losing weight. Everyone is different. End of story.

If that's where you were headed....

I've actually heard good things about carb cycling once you get to a stall in your diet.... I'm interested to see how it works in the long run. Right now, I am still losing at a "normal" rate, so I'm good... but I know that it gets harder when you have less weight to lose, and I've heard of people carb cycling their way out of stalls.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Net 1200 (or actually slightly below 1200 NET--I'm eating the majority of my exercise cals back) for the past three weeks and not only am I seeing consistently 1-2.2 pounds loss per week/6 pounds of FAT in 3 weeks--I say fat loss (not water) because my body fat percentage has dropped THREE whole percentage points in the past 3 weeks--(according to my body fat scale)my inches are decreasing very nicely all over my body, my energy, attitude/mood and stamina in exercising is better/higher and the weight is coming off (dropping especially inches off) of my tummy, waist, butt and face first and I LOVE THAT!!!!!

ETA: I'm purposely NOT working out hard...but moderately to lightly 7 days per week--as my body requires me to bump it up a notch, I will--until then, I'm just making sure to move my body moderately everyday and thru out the day:

I'm working out 7 days per week/EVERYDAY, but it's moderate to light working out. I'm doing outside walking at least 30 minutes per day and usually 45 minutes to 1 hour going about 2.5-3.0mph (leisurely walking and dog walking pace). As well as moderate stretching for about 5+ minutes everyday

*6 days per week I'll also include 10-20 minutes of my stationary bike and/or treadmill
    *5 days per week doing a Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds dvds (my favorite is Walk Strong) 30 minutes of brisk walking
    *3-4 days per week I'll do 10 minutes or so of light-moderate rowing with 10lb weights on my home gym machine
    *1-2 days per week I'll do 10-20 minutes light to moderate upper and lower body weight lifting (w/10lb weights) on my home gym machine.

I don't do ALL of these things one after another...but thru the day. My mind, body and soul loves this and it's something I'll continue to do for the rest of my life along with eating to live, rather than living to eat and I'm seeing and most importantly, feeling fabulous results! I'm purposely NOT following "the experts, "the stats", "the rules"--but instead I'm going against "the grain and the crowd" and eating and exercising as I am so Led of The Holy Spirit/God.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    If you want to have succes with 1200, then be prepared to workout hard. I eat about 1600-2000 per day, but net under my calorie goal. My workouts are usually between 500-1200 calories burned. You have to think, 3500 calories = 1lb so in order to burn 2lbs a week, you gotta get moving! I hate being hungry so its all about level of commitment and what your body can physically handle. If you can only do low impact excercising or dont have time to excercise for at least an hour on your workout days, then your goal should be 1lb per week. I have had success with the 1200 goal. Everyone is different but success comes with the excercise for this one.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • misstaken89
    Options
    So if I eat 2000 calories in food and exercise 800 calories. My net is 1200 calorie.....or do I eat 1200 in food total and exercise 800 calories with a net of 200? Which is the 1200 calories?
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Please please please someone answer this question for me:

How did you become overweight if you CANNOT net 1200 calories in 24 hours regularly?!?!

I DO NOT get this problem AT ALL!
  • fab_fierce_fit
    fab_fierce_fit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    According to my height and activity level I need to eat about 1800-2000 cals a day!!! DAFUQ?!
    how am i supposed to eat that much? Especially clean food

My cals usually average around 1500