late night snacks?

Options
Hello, I was just wondering what snacks people chose to eat later on at night. I do fine through the day when preoccupied but once the kids are in bed and the day windes down I find myself getting more peckish and tempted to snack, so what do you eat which is filling but doesn't leave you going to bed on a heavy stomach or feeling bloated? Thanks :)

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Bengal spice tea with skim milk or a banana. If I am craving chocolate (TOM) I have a CliffKids bar either chocolate chip or brownie.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like vanilla Greek yogurt if I'm going light.

Otherwise, ice cream all the way.
  • MissCaroline71
    MissCaroline71 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mini Magnum for 160 cals!
  • breaivy
    breaivy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I recently discoverd that seaweed just cuts my cravings for some reason. :)
    Annie Chun's sesame flavored is really good, I think. If you like seaweed, definitely give it a try.

Also, freezing about a cup of almond milk and blending it with vanilla and a teaspoon of sugar makes a milkshake-esque creation for less than 50 calories. It's about 75 if you use a tablespoon of sugar, depending on how much of a sweet tooth you have. It's not exactly a perfect shake, mind you, but it suffices. :)

Otherwise I'm pretty fond of walnuts and tea in the late hours.
    ..and quesadillas, haha.
  • toriforte
    toriforte Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Almonds/pistachios (careful with calories and fat if you're watching those - I pre-measure these so I don't oversnack), wasabi peas, pickles, jell-o, goat milk pudding pops (homemade - I use sugar free fat free jello pudding made with raw goat's milk, then add fruit in a popsicle mold. favorite is cheesecake pudding crammed with strawberries or raspberries. Also if I need real sugar I have a small piece of dark chocolate covered honeycomb which really hits the spot!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I usually like a bowl of Bare Naked Cereal (I know Safeway carries it) with equal amount of Soy Milk. I do make sure I have extra calories "most" of the time, but I don't fret going over once in awhile. I also like cinammon-raisen English Muffins toasted with Simply Fruit jam/jelly. Or Adams Peanut butter on a slice of toast is another fave:)

Most evenings, like around 8 ish, I will have popcorn w/1 tbsp of butter (that's extra butter too because I get the 100 cal snack bags by Pop Secret) with two tsps of Nutritional Yeast and garlic powder, yum, lol! It may sound bad but don't knock it til you try it. Oh and I have cranberry pom juice 1/2 cup with ice:)

Denise
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies .... lots of new things to try there. i usually have coffee and go ahead biscuits but fing that i get bloated and trying to cut out tea/coffee.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I prefer a drink rather than a snack, personally. I still get something in my stomach, but I just don't like munching on things before bed. Hot chocolate or spiced milk are my most common. It helps me sleep and is my treat before I do my bedtime yoga routine. Sometimes I'll have a whiskey or some of my husband's bourbon, but I don't do my yoga if I make that choice. Unless I'm in a particular mood to continually fall on my head.
  • tarotlou
    tarotlou Posts: 47
    Options
    Skinny cow caramel shortcake ice cream they come in a box of three at 94 cals each and I always save enough cals because I can't just eat one, I have to eat the box, I am a massive late night eater, I use to wake up at 3 am and scoff a packet of Jaffa cakes!! I love sweet unhealthy stuff, put a snickers or rice cakes in front of me for a late night snack I can't resist the chocolate, so I try and have at least 500 to 600 cals saved for after 6 pm just in case.:smile:
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a large mug of hot chocolate rather than food (80 cals) then go off to bed at around 9pm so I cant late night snack, once Im in bed reading or playing games on my phone I drift off to sleep and dont even think about getting up again as im too comfortable. I used to go to bed around 11 or 12pm and would snack all night, now I dont snack and dont get hungry and my energy levels have jumped through the roof, I also wake up at the same time but no longer feel sluggish but totlaly energised, I cant recommend extra sleep enough to beat the late night binges.
  • eelizabethk
    Options
    large cup of tea and some sugar free pudding or jello! low calorie if i eat alot of it!
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    yeah thats why i try to go bed earlt, just to stop eating...im usually up early with my baby too, so any extra sleep is welcome! haha hot chocolate sounds like a good idea just to curve the craving and not want to binge
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth so it stops me from snacking :laugh: otherwise it's a little bit of this & a little bit of that.
  • tigerlily_
    tigerlily_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Strawberry Split ice lollies are only 74 calories, and they take ages to eat! Either that or a yoghurt.