tired of hearing stop losing weight before your skinny

Options
I'm trying to be very humble about all this, but getting to the point of where I just want to tell people to shut up. Walk in my shoes and see how it felt to look in the mirror and be unhappy or not wear the clothes you wanted. I feel like a million bucks at this point of 70lbs down. I still have some work to do but Im feeling great and doing things that just last year I would have said hell no to running 5K's but have ran 5 so far this year since May. I'm on a life style change of being healthy. That guy before was not healthy but the guy today is. If anyone one else know what I'm talking about or going thru the same thing. I would love to hear your story or how your dealing with the comments.

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing from all my friends 'you will start looking haggared' 'You are slim enough' were some of the comments even though I am still in the overweight bracket of BMI. I took it as a compliment because it is coming from people who care about me but, I started to believe it. So, I went to see my doctor who told me to ignore them. She told me what she would like me to weigh which is 12lbs lighter than I am and gave me lots of encouragement and praise for the weight I had lost. She was also pleased with all the exercise I am doing and really pleased with my resting heart rate of 42 bpm.

So if it is getting to you, visit your doctor. I now tell my friends 'but the doctor says.........'. That shuts them up lol.

Congratulations on the fantastic weight loss. You are doing a great job. Keep it up and be the weight you want to be whilst having a little patience with your friends. Good luck with the rest.
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options
    I know what you mean. Some people were very negative about my weight-loss - calling me "stick" and hinting that I had an eating disorder when in fact I was the healthiest I'd ever been (and wasn't even in the normal weight range for my height at that stage).

I'm not sure why people say these things or how to deal with it. Perhaps knowing you are not alone may help. Having clear goals and knowing in myself all the reasons healthy weight-loss was important to me helped me to give the proverbial finger to any nay-sayers! If people are commenting you must be doing something right so don't let their comments make you second guess your goals or how much weight you want to lose.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just say to them you aren't "dieting", you are just focussing on health and fitness goals. No one can say that is bad for anyone!!

It is so annoying. I hear people say to me "oh don't lose too much more, you don't want to be skinny". For goodness sakes I am over 200lbs and need to lose at least 40-50lbs to be anywhere near a healthy weight!

I guess in their defense some people just are not used to seeing a slimmer you. You have done fantastic and probably look so different to before you started this new way of life. Although admittedly there will just be some who are jealous!!

It's best to try and ignore them. Do it for you and don't even entertain them. You know yourself and I am sure you feel wonderful, keep up the good work and don't let people try and drag you down :flowerforyou:
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I GET THIS.. and the bad thing is? i get it from my friends who are like 95 pounds! One in particular.. She even tells me "I would kill to find the weight you lost!" REALLY? What the heck? You are super tiny & you are telling me that *I* look sick?? Telling me you WANT the fat I fought so hard to lose! BTICH!

*sigh* Why cant people just be HAPPY for us & the hard work we put in? *smh* I just dont get it??
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I GET THIS.. and the bad thing is? i get it from my friends who are like 95 pounds! One in particular.. She even tells me "I would kill to find the weight you lost!" REALLY? What the heck? You are super tiny & you are telling me that *I* look sick?? Telling me you WANT the fat I fought so hard to lose! BTICH!

*sigh* Why cant people just be HAPPY for us & the hard work we put in? *smh* I just dont get it??

maybe she wants to gain a little weight? just because you think she has a nice figure doesnt mean she does...
  • Beckaroo94
    Options
    I think because people are used to seeing someone very overweight, when they are only a bit overweight, they look very thin. But to a stranger, or your doctor, they don't think so. There may also be an element of jealousy. Are the people telling you to stop perhaps a little overweight? They may be threatened that you will be/are slimmer than them. Not in a nasty way, it is probably unconcious
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just say "Don't worry, if I get too skinny I'll get to eat more to put it back on!" which makes them laugh usually :)
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    To be honest I got this when I lost my weight and when I look back I was looking quite 'thin' despite being the same weight I am now. Once I added some muscle I looked less 'thin' despite being the same weight, I didn't see it at the time but I do now. I think when it's just weight loss and steady state cardio the face can look 'thin' despite us not being happy with the rest, I also think it doesn't help if you haven't updated your wardrobe, I got less comments once I had new better fitting clothes, when they look like they are hanging off us then people tend to comment more....... just my experience and 2c
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My step mother actually told me she thought my perfect weight was 180lb even though I am 5'6" and that still puts me in the overweight bmi and I still have a lot of stomach fat. I told her my doctor said with my family history of diabetes and heart disease that he wants me to get as much of the stomach fat off ( which he does.) I also told her that she has never seen me truly slender so it may take awhile to get used to, but just because I have never been DOESN'T mean my perfect weight is an overweight #.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think because people are used to seeing someone very overweight, when they are only a bit overweight, they look very thin. But to a stranger, or your doctor, they don't think so.

This is a very good point
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think because people are used to seeing someone very overweight, when they are only a bit overweight, they look very thin. But to a stranger, or your doctor, they don't think so. There may also be an element of jealousy. Are the people telling you to stop perhaps a little overweight? They may be threatened that you will be/are slimmer than them. Not in a nasty way, it is probably unconcious
    Yes, this. I agree. Just tell them when you reach a healthy bmi you will stop :)
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've gotten it a few times now too, but I'm in maintenance now and it's just my body continuing to change shape (which I've read can happen for up to a year after you stop actively trying to lose weight). I'm also walking and doing a bit of running now, and my legs are looking leaner-not weight loss related, but noticeably different so people have commented on how thin my legs are now. My mil actually gasped a few weeks back, when I wore shorts. I was taken back by her response, but then she explained that she hadn't seen me wear shorts EVER, in the 14+ years that we've known each other. After thinking about this I realized she was right! I haven't worn shorts as an adult, because I've always been self conscious about my legs (even when I was thin back in the day, I was very pear shaped. Then after the kids started coming I developed really bad varicose veins in my legs, which I was really self-conscious about). I've realized that my whole attitude is changing about my body-I'm ok wearing shorts and a two piece swim suit now, instead of feeling like I need to cover everything up. This is really throwing people off I think, hence the knee jerk comments. I don't take them personally because I know I look good, I feel great, and I'm still at a healthy bmi :drinker:
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have read these posts before and yes people have said things to me but I only listened when my husband said something this morning. He told me he was concerned for my health and didn't want me to start getting sick. I am 2lbs away from goal and am now focusing on increasing my calories 100 per week. I will lose my 2lbs and then maintain. At first I was a bit frustrated with his comments but after a few hours I completely understand he was only concerned. I think it's important to acknowledge your loved ones concerns and filter out all others.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain brother, every week my mom tells me I'm wasting away. :huh: I don't get it, I look great compared to last year, but wasting away? :laugh:

Just let it roll off brother, It's just an awkward way of giving you some support.

Rigger