Eating to less but not hungry? ADVICE PLEASE

Options
:blushing: I'm currently 90kg or about 198 pounds, female, 20 and 5.4 foot. I work out everyday.... 5 days of cardio with and generally burn about 700 - 900 calories which includes a variety of machines. During the weekend I burn about 400 a day and do strength exercises for about an hour. I am also a waitress but don't include this as exercise. My problem is not eating enough calories and I'm so confused! I'm not hungry enough to meet my calorie goal and end up with a deficit of 800 - 1000. I don't think I can eat anymore food? I eat a large musli breakfast, fruit throughout the day, a coffee or tea, a snack after work and then a large tea. Is it okay to have this deficit? I have heaps of energy and feel better than ever and when I try to eat more I just end up feeling sluggish and bloated. Please help! Anythings appreciated! Also, I'm vegetarian.

Replies

• channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hows your weight loss going?

you could always try protein shakes to boost your calorie intake maybe?

If you feel fine and are having your daily intake amount of good fats, and vitamins and protein I cant see this being a problem

how many calories on an adverage day do you have? x
  • joni1228
    Options
    It's steady but good thanks!
    I have between 1200 too 1500 calories a day but averaging on about 1250 a day.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It is possible that your stomach shrunk and that's why you don't get hungry. Or you eat lots of fiber.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I always wonder when these kind of threads are posted, how did the OP get big in the first place? I realise you aren't eating junk but really...but back to the question....add some healthy fats to your diet, use full fat milk instead of skim, butter instead of that horrible plastic margarine etc... And it's not good to have too large a deficit. Your body will just hang on to the fat you have if you don't feed it enough.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If your diary was open people could help you better.

I don't see any meals there besides breakfast. Where's lunch and supper?

You will lose weight at that big of a deficit for a while, but it will slow down eventually. And it will be a lot harder to maintain.

I always wonder too, how did you get overweight in the first place?
  • NuCaz
    NuCaz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ehm, people........ the op came on looking for advice. She's obviously eating better now as she's NOW trying to lose weight. Her diet before this one was probably the culprit.
    Op, I'm afraid I've no advice only to tell you that you should aim to eat the min of 1200 anyway. Any less and I would guess you wouldn't be getting enough nutrients.
    Good luck ????
  • joni1228
    Options
    I've changed my settings so you are able to see my dairy. Im still trying to find a balance in the foods i eat. Any advice would be great! I got over weight but eating without exercise and drinking alcohol. Thanks heaps everyone
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I've changed my settings so you are able to see my dairy. Im still trying to find a balance in the foods i eat. Any advice would be great! I got over weight but eating without exercise and drinking alcohol. Thanks heaps everyone

Alcohol will add lots of calories...good for you for giving up :wink:
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Just checked your diary..your calories allowance is 2,075 a day..how come you're eating much less?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I don't see any meals there besides breakfast. Where's lunch and supper?

In British English tea can be the drink or it can be the evening meal, we would call supper. So she is having 2 meals and snacks it appears.
  • joni1228
    Options
    Thanks! Feel so much better for it. Our country has a huge binge drinking problem and I was easily consuming 1200 calories a night on alcohol.
  • joni1228
    Options
    I'm eating when I'm hungry and after the gym. I'm just not hungry enough to eat all those calories. I even try boost it by eating high calorie foods and drinks like hot chocolate. Should I push myself to try fill more or listen to my body? My main problem is that I feel quite sick or bloated when I eat to much
  • joni1228
    Options
    Sorry, by large tea I mean supper? Evening meal?
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Having looked at your diary you're definitely eating, just small amounts.

I''m a big fan of intuitive eating, so I think if you're genuinely not hungry and you're averaging 1300-1500 a day that's probably okay. Your body has a fair bit of stored fat to work through so you're not in danger of wasting away or starvation either. I wouldn't worry about stuffing your face just to reach an arbitary goal.

Congratulations on giving up alcohol! it could be that maybe your body is just getting used to being alcohol-free and having all these 'spare calories' (speculating).

As you continue to lose weight, with the amount of exercise you do I predict that you'll become hungrier and then you'll want to eat more (at that point you should do so - especially if you continue with vigorous exercise).

In the meantime if you are really concerned and want to eat more, you could boost calorie counts by using full-fat dairy products, more vegetable oil in your cooking, snacking on nuts if you so wish.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Firstly I have to say well done for getting your settings right! I am assuming that your goal is because you have an active job?

Secondly I think you are doing fine. Just relax. If you can try and get some more snacks in that would help. Nuts are great as they are caloire dense and full of good fats and protein. Otherwise just carry on. Your body will adjust over time and you will find yourself getting more hungry as your body feels it needs it!

Great work so far! Keep up the good work!!
  • zeetje
    zeetje Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi There!

I had a lot of trouble getting to 1200 Ckal minimum, also NOT HUNGRY almost scared of the amount of food. I have been logging for 4 weeks now. The only days I (over)achieved were the days I was drinking alcohol :drinker: . Since this week I FINALLY found the balance. I built a bit by bit healthy portions and now actually start feeling hungry :happy: Eating habits don't change overnight, you body does not adjust overnight. My advise is to log everything, weigh your portions and find a balance in your Carbs/Protein and Fats. I changed mine in 40/30/30. At first I was gaining weight this week started losing:bigsmile: .

Good luck!

Z.
  • joni1228
    Options
    Thanks heaps! Made me feel much better and less confused x
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense food, maybe? Avocados, nuts, cheese, etc.