Need recommendations on a new cell phone

Options
onwarddownward
onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
After ten years with a trac phone, I'm ready to buy a smartphone. Here's my criteria:

--- I love apps.

--- I'm a big ipad user, would love the iPhone, but can't afford a ton per month

--- Would love to do a prepaid service like trac phone

--- I use the web a lot

--- I don't like texting much

---I want to be able to scan those tag thingys and see what they are hiding!!

Do you love or hate your phone and what would you recommend?

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you're a big ipad user the answer is obvious: the iphone. Most ipad apps work on the iphone, and since you can link both devices to your apple account, you don't have to buy those apps again. If you get an Android you'll have to rebuy every apps.
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    I changed from an iphone to a Samsung Galaxy S3 simply because I'd had an iphone for years and was bored. BIG mistake. As a phone it's good, but to get anything onto it, music in particular, is a nightmare. Plus the battery life is awful.

So, I am expecting my new iphone to arrive today and I look forward to getting rid of the Galaxy - it's been a right pain.

So I say go with iPhone. You don't have to sign up to a contract to get one - you can buy them online, particularly if you don't go for the latest model.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    there are tons of prepaid options for smart phones and they are not expensive per month, the only catch is when you do prepaid you have to buy the phone without the big discount you get for signing a two year agreement with a carrier. here is a link for prepaid phones and plans from Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/cell-phones-accessories/542371?povid=P1171-C1110.2784+1455.2776+1115.2956-L6

personally I have a Casio Commando from Verizon, Do not buy this phone it is horrible.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Fruitcake1972
    Fruitcake1972 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the Sony Xperia T Love the phone , its easy to use , reaosnable size, and relatively sturdy (seen many iphones and samsungs with shattered screen)
    It has a great camera and good memory and is fast .

Only major draw back battery life is 1 day only !!!! but it charges in 30 minutes.
    Reception is crud on EE but fine on O2 Pre pay but that might be the area I live.

let us know how you get on.
  • wilburdonovan91
    wilburdonovan91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Galaxy Note 2 since you dont like texting. Its a very good web browser.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't get a blackberry. Worst F-ing "smart" phone in existence.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and I love it. Much better than the Androids.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I ended up with a Samsung galaxy III from virgin mobile. It seems like a good device. Fingers crossed. I wanted the iPhone, but the only prepaid option didn't have the unlimited data plan in my price range. Thanks for all of the advice!