Moved from 1200 calories to 1700 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Might not all be fat that you're losing. Maybe around 1200 your body was holding on to more water weight.

WHAT?? explain
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Also, at that level of calories, a lot of people lose muscle mass and then their metabolism drops. This happened to me.

If you eat more calories and do weight training, your muscles will end up burning more calories even when you aren't working out, and it will be a more efficient way to lose weight.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That;s exactly what I did! I was 1200 for a long time, then upped to 1500, then 1600, now 1700 and I feel great and am still losing!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hi i am new :)

I have been calculated as needing only 1200 to lose weight, however i started yesterday and by night time I was starving i mean really hungary and I ended up eating loads and having a few beers which brought my total intake up to 1814 - I have decided to try and eat smaller meals to stick to the 1200. When I checked the link (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.htm) it came out with a figure of 1757 - I am really confused now any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

the calculator gives you what your body burns in a day. you need to eat at a deficit of that to lose weight. that is the amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've just updated my settings to project a 1lb a week weight loss and MFP tells me to achieve this I need to eat 1210 net calories. I dread to think how little it would tell me to eat if I wanted to lose 2lbs per week.

However, it does say 1,710 gross calories - predicting 500cal a day loss from exercise. That's pretty intense workouts.
  • esheridan12
    Options
    Are you exercising? That will pay a part in this also. Try the 1750 but make sure they are from quality foods and try to exercise for a little bit each day. Even if you don't lose as quickly as you like, you will notice that u have more energy and feel so much better. If no weight loss after a couple of weeks, drop down to 1500 calories. It is so difficult to find that right balance!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am actually losing weight quicker now that I made the change. Also I have eaten enough to keep me satisfied for the day and having no hunger pangs. Who knew eating more could make you lose more haha.

Hiya...Me to, MFP calculated I should be eating 1200, I'm quite active and did'nt feel I was getting enough nurishment so put it up to 1540....Feel much better now :)
  • cwestley82
    cwestley82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are in stravation mode - which i'm pretty sure i am as i exercise everyday intensely and probably only eat around 1400-1500 cals. How long does it take the body to come out of it?

Weeks, months or does it depend how long your body has been in the mode?
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you are in stravation mode - which i'm pretty sure i am as i exercise everyday intensely and probably only eat around 1400-1500 cals. How long does it take the body to come out of it?

Weeks, months or does it depend how long your body has been in the mode?

It depends on how long you've been depriving your body. There are some really great articles about resetting your metabolism (aka fixing it) at http://eatmore2weighless.com/ (NO www.)
  • lvnh
    lvnh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great thread with lots of great info! I've been sticking to the 1200 cal per day and sometimes haven't been eating back my exercise calories. Moving forward, I will be eating more. No wonder the scale hasn't budged!