Opinions and suggestions?

Options
I'm a 20 year-old male and I currently weigh 125 lbs. I used to weigh 120 lbs., and I had a flat-ish belly. Over the summer I gained 5 lbs. I've been wanting to lose it, but then I thought that I should try building muscle as well.

Now, I'm currently doing the Tabata exercise twice a week (TTH), and I've started lifting 5 lbs weight for my biceps, with pushups (10 reps, 3 sets), planks (>1min), high knees (1 min), squats (10 reps, 3sets), lunges (10 reps, 3 sets).

Any comments or suggestions? Should my goal still be to shed off the 5 lbs? I'm talking about the body fat, of course. But if I can build muscle along the way, then why not, right? Am I putting too little effort, or is this too much? I've only just started the weight training last week, but I've been doing the Tabata for two weeks now. What else should I do?

PS I don't go to the gym yet, my plan is to go to one after I see some progress, because that's when I'll know that I can actually do it. Your replies would be very much welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think if you manage to increase you muscle at a steady rate, you will probably lose any excess flab on the way.

However 125lbs is quite light for a male, how tall are you?

The only other thing I would say is that, 5lb weight won't do much for your biceps.

You need to be lifting something that 10-12 reps is the most you can do. That's not a strict rule, but you should feel like you are working, I;m guessing you don't find it hard to lift 5lbs for loads of reps.
  • theguiltyone
    Options
    I think if you manage to increase you muscle at a steady rate, you will probably lose any excess flab on the way.

However 125lbs is quite light for a male, how tall are you?

The only other thing I would say is that, 5lb weight won't do much for your biceps.

You need to be lifting something that 10-12 reps is the most you can do. That's not a strict rule, but you should feel like you are working, I;m guessing you don't find it hard to lift 5lbs for loads of reps.

Hi, I'm 5 ft 6 inches. So I should just focus on building muscle then, and actually increase my caloric intake? I'm about 1400-1500 a day. Yeah I know they're pretty light but this is the first time I've worked out so I was thinking that maybe I can make myself used to lifting and then that's when I'll increase?
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    at 125lb your BMI is inside the Normal range... Just. at 120 you were underweight so i REALLY don't recommend trying to loose.

First off work out what your TDEE is (search the forums for the links). You need to be eating at that or more (more if you want to gain muscle)

Hint: unless you are bedridden 1400 to 1500 calories a day is not enough.

1 more thing get heavier weights. Look at nerd fitness or you are your own gym for body weight exercises.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd say to go on a serious bulk cycle right now, then when you're feeling a bit too fluffy, go on a moderate cut. 125 at 5'6" is pretty light.

So, figure out how many calories you need in a day. Add 100 to that the first week, then another 100 the second week and see how that does for you. Find a good program. 5 pound bicep curls is not going to cut it for muscle building. You need a progressive program that will increase your weight at a fairly steady pace. If you're not challenging your muscles, they won't grow. Try the All Pro beginner Routine found at the bodybuilding.com forums. Starting Strength or StrongLifts wouldn't be bad, although you might want slightly higher reps with slightly lower weights if you're just starting out. The New Rules of Lifting is also a good resource. Familiarize yourself with the basic compound lifts and correct form and go from there.
  • theguiltyone
    Options
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate it. I feel like I just have body image issues. I drank a lot during my junior year in college and I think I have some sort of a beer gut. I think that what I really want is to lose it, and lose body fat as well. Any suggestions/recommendations as to how to go about it?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate it. I feel like I just have body image issues. I drank a lot during my junior year in college and I think I have some sort of a beer gut. I think that what I really want is to lose it, and lose body fat as well. Any suggestions/recommendations as to how to go about it?

I see what you are saying, however, think about it this way, you're pretty small right now, so any belly will be much more exaggerated against your frame.

If you're 125lbs and have 18.75lbs of fat, you'll have a BF% of 15%, if you don't lose or gain any fat, but gain 25lbs you'll be 150lbs and 12.5% BF.

Just something for you to think about, as you can get leaner without having to drop to a very low weight.