Losing weight motivates/unmotivates?

Options
Hey ya'll! I've lost damn near 50 lbs and feel great! However, I think it sabotages me! I tend to lose willpower to get to my next goal since I've accomplished a good bit! lol Does that happen to others? I still have 40-ish to go and I need some motivation!! I still workout all the time, but eating...I've lost my willpower and pretty much went into maintenance mode.

Replies

• 200ripped
    200ripped Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat right now. I think seeing others success stories is the best way to remotivate. The clearer you can see your own goals, the less content you'll be where you are at now. Then you can do something about it.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    maybe it doesn't hurt to give yourself a midway point break in diet and go to maintenance for like a month. Recharge a little before diving back in again. It's important not to give up but it sounds like you just need(ed) a small break from it.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. Last spring I was 8 pounds from my GW and got totally burnt out and complacent about the whole mess. I didn't get back on it until I realized I was now 18 pounds away from GW. Crap and crap. I've been back on it for a solid 6 weeks and feeling better - this time I am determined to not lose steam.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with astartig 100%. I already bumped up my goal 3 times. I would reach a goal and then would feel like I can do better, so I would set a new goal, etc. Right now I'm at the point where I am satisfied with results, and it's getting harder and harder to stay focused on getting rid of last 5 lbs that I set as my final goal. So I decided to do what astartig said. I gave myself a little break and decided to maintain for a while. This way I can relax my diet a little bit, indulge myself with things that I wouldn't dare to eat while I was still focusing on my goals, etc. Once I feel like I can get back onto the battlefield, I'll pick up where I left of.
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that! ... and then I regained more than half of what I'd lost (as you know). I'm determined to find motivation right through this time!!!

Maybe buy some (cheap) clothes that are just a little too small so you're motivated to fit into them ASAP :)
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Totally, I have lost 10 lbs and my hubby has been telling me how good I already look compared to what i was, so I am tempted to just stay this way, but I know I need to lose another 15 lbs before I reach my goal weight!

I stood in front of the mirror yesterday and decided I still look like a blubberbutt and that gave me some motivation haha... Not sure if that'll help someone else though:)
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just posted this on my news feed earlier:

"Havent gotten this close to goal in a long time!! (my own-- not the charts, I have a long way to go for that one-- LOL)... How exciting!! Though fitting into the smaller clothes kinda gets me into comfort a confort zone I did not expect... But I am comitted to this lifestyle now. I can only get better with time! Thanks MFP friends for your support and encouragement, I only hope I am in some way returning the favor... Xoxoxo"

The feeling comfortable part is the downfall for me... but I do have to remind myself it's a lifetyle! ... I even look forward to the exercise, there are so many things I do not eat anymore-- and don't miss them. But if I crave it, I will eat it! Just not in the quantities I used to. If I may suggest, Just do it! (one of the things I tell myself)... You'll be glad you did! The other I found somewhere, "I won't get the butt I want by sitting on the one I have". Best of luck! :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have found that having goals that are motivating but not just weight and diet related are very helpful. For instance, I've signed up for 2 century rides in Sept, each a week apart. I know the lighter I am the easier the hills will be to climb, so I'm even more motivated to get the extra pounds off so that I can fly past the other riders and right up those hills.

I also know myself and that I will succumb to laziness, eventually. Therefore I sold my car forcing myself into a more active lifestyle (I live in a city that is very non-car ownership friendly, so obviously this won't work for everyone), and I took a job that has me running all day long with few opportunities for breaks aside from the usual lunch and coffee breaks.

When I'm feeling motivated and capable, I throw roadblocks up that will prevent my from backsliding when the motivation wanes. And it always does fade after a few months. Except now, I can't go back because of the decisions I made when I was all gung-ho about my goals.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me multiple times as well! I get to about 140 (GW is 135) and think, well I'm fitting in my clothes now, I'm mostly the size I want to be and feel pretty good, so then I start to get lax. Well we all know what happens when we get lax! That's why I've been such a darn yoyo! I did really well for about 2 years where I stayed somewhere in between 135 and 140, when I would start to see myself getting closer to 140 I would crack down for a couple of weeks get back to around 135 and then loosen up. Basically lost and gained the same 5 pounds for two years! But I guess that is what they call maintaining LOL!

But as we all know, it is a heck of a lot easier to lose 5 pounds then 15 so it is best to try and really stick to it. I'd really love to go into maintenance when I get to 135 and stay there (within a couple of pounds of course, since water weight etc. can sometimes be a factor more then fat gain).

Good luck to everyone! I'm at 154 right now, so have a bit to go. Also just found out that my body fat percentage is 33% which was really surprising to me because I thought I had a lot more muscle then that from all of my sports :(
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's ok to switch to maintenance for a bit. Pick things up again when you want to lose again.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses...I'm glad I'm not alone!! I've often wondered if a break between short-term goals is a good thing?! I guess I kinda do that unwillingly!! lol Well, good luck everyone! You all have very valid points!