what exactly IS water weight loss?

Options
Hi all

I've searched the message boards for this but can't find the exact question I have...

What IS water weight loss? And why do people say the first few lbs are water loss? How do you know when it stops being water weight loss, and starts being fat weight loss? In general it seems people have not so good things to say about water weight... usually it's "i lost 5 lbs! but it was all water weight..." so i'm wondering why instead of celebrating that 5 lb loss, people say its water loss and no big deal?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not sure why people make such a big deal about water weight or retention. It comes and goes based on your sodium and carb consumption. It's not fat, it's transient and not something I really worry about.

You usually lose water when you first start "dieting" because you usually quit eating so much crap food that has a lot of sodium and carbs so that extra stored water is released. You can also store extra water in your body for muscle repair if you start a new workout so you get the water back.

Like I said, not really something to worry about, it comes and goes, just part of life.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Water weight loss is through three things: sweat, the consumption of glycogen stores and proper hydration.

Inactive people tend to have quite a bit and so the first week of good diet and regular cardiovascular exercise will see very dramatic weight loss-- they're burning glycogen and sweating and hopefully drinking water as opposed to sweetened drinks or juice (milk is ok post workout: electrolytes and protein and simple sugars).

Water weight gain is through rebuilding of glycogen stores, muscle recovery and repair, and improper hydration. If you completely exhaust yourself on a 13 miles run or 50 mile bike ride, you should see a few pounds come on in the next 36 hours or so.

EDIT: increasing muscle size can also increase glycogen capacity and hence "water" weight, but it's much less common.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too and then I read this and it made it clear:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993865-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
    HTH