When to add protein powder to oatmeal?

Options
I have been adding 1/2 scoop to my oatmeal for breakfast. I have been putting all my ingredients including the protein powder into a bowl, add water, stir and microwave for 2 minutes 45 seconds. Is this OK, or should I cook the oatmeal first then add the powder? Does it matter?

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i eat protein oatmeal everyday. for best results put the protein afterwards. protein tends to burn easy in the microwave.
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Whatever tastes best/has the best consistency for you!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    so my informal poll has yielded 50-50 results. Would love it if more people could comment :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    make the oatmeal seperate, make the protein shake a thick consistency, add shake to oatmeal like milk. = tasty.
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i eat protein oatmeal everyday. for best results put the protein afterwards. protein tends to burn easy in the microwave.

I agree. Don't put anything in the microwave that you expect to keep any value from. Popcorn that you are filling a snack and calorie need, sure destroy that in the microwave. Protein oatmeal, why diminish it's value by zapping it?

I usually will put a cup of water in the microwave to boil it. Then add it to my protein oatmeal.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I microwave my oats and water and add protein powder and other flavorings to it afterward. I find that it just mixes in better.
  • momthenurse
    momthenurse Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question. I was wondering the same.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i use instant oatmeal, my routine usually goes like this, oatmeal, raw sugar, couple scoops of whey protein, hot water, stir til its the right consistency. i tried it at home and found that adding in the protein powder with the oatmeal and stirring dry worked better. then again my home protein powder is kind of a***** to work with.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I just started putting in everything AFTER I microwave just the oats and water. It is working out much better!
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    HEAT DOES NOT RENDER PROTEIN NUTRITIONALLY VOID. If it did we would have died when we discovered fire, not gone on to cover the globe.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the best way to add my protein to my oatmeal.

I hear the milk add 30g oatmeal 30g of powder. Which is very too thick for me I like my oatmeal milky which means more milk then the volume is too much.

Maybe I'll make my oatmeal and shake separate and add afterwards.

Hmmm
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Heat can cause some protein powders to clump. I make the oats first, add a little milk and then the protein powder. Comes out fine that way.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I make my oats in a pot on the stove, and I add them when they are done to my bowl of protein and whatever other add ins I choose. The only time I put stuff into the pot of boiling water is if I'm making apple cin., them I dice up apples into the boiling water to soften them a bit.
    I choose to do it this way because it makes the pot easier to clean afterwards!
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I too cook my oatmeal as directed and then add protein powder afterward along with any other add ins. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Heat can cause some protein powders to clump. I make the oats first, add a little milk and then the protein powder. Comes out fine that way.

True, some proteins curdle when they are heated. I've had that problem with some.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Ahh, that explains where i went wrong this morning - had to throw out a serving of protein oatmeal this morning because the texture was just weird - I could actually hold it and probably mould a shape out of it.

Protein powder AFTER cooking oatmeal - thanks guys:smile:
  • patsina55
    Options
    I just tried something new: I don't have any plain protein powder in the house, but I do have a container of vanilla SlimFast powder. While the oatmeal was cooking in the microwave, I made a SlimFast shake with 1 scoop of powder and 8 ounces of milk, and then I added that plus a sliced up banana to the oatmeal to replace the milk and sweetener that I usually add. Tastes pretty good!
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 cup 1% fat cottage cheese to my oatmeal after I cook it, it gives it more volume and great texture and tastes delicious with a few almonds and a bit of stevia.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I used to cook (quick) oatmeal in almond or soy milk on the stove, stirred protein powder in it at the end.
    Now, I mostly make 'overnight oats': 6 oz. Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup rolled oats (or by Bob's Red Mill 5 whole grains with flax seeds, or country muesli), vanilla or strawberry protein powder, some almond/soy milk to stir it up, some fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries...) in it, into the fridge over night. The grains will be soft in the morning, and it's fast breakfast. For a larger portion, I use 1/2 cup milk and add 2 tsp of chia seeds.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Never.