Mirena and Weight Lifting

Options
So, I had a legit concern on how Mirena (IUD) would be relative to my new hobby (weight lifting). I called my OB office and asked the NP how Mirena would hold up to 100+ weight lifting and she started laughing, told me she would ask the other nurses and came back still laughing, telling me how she had never heard of a woman being able to lift over 100 lbs, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but that kind of pissed me off. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate concern. I do intend on benching 100 and deadlifting more. Squats I'm not sure, I'm still new to this but it just crushed me to have someone treat me that way. Stiiiill kind of leary on Mirena.

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    Options
    So, I had a legit concern on how Mirena (IUD) would be relative to my new hobby (weight lifting). I called my OB office and asked the NP how Mirena would hold up to 100+ weight lifting and she started laughing, told me she would ask the other nurses and came back still laughing, telling me how she had never heard of a woman being able to lift over 100 lbs, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but that kind of pissed me off. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate concern. I do intend on benching 100 and deadlifting more. Squats I'm not sure, I'm still new to this but it just crushed me to have someone treat me that way. Stiiiill kind of leary on Mirena.

It is kind of uncommon though. I never heared of it until joining MFP.
    Don't worry about her, just keep going
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've been dead lifting 200 lbs for a few weeks, and my Mirena hasn't fallen out. I've also run long distances and done tons of other active stuff over the past nearly 5 years that I've had it. Sorry you have to deal with stupid people at your OB office.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'd get the Mirena out personally, but that is because it landed me in the hospital with emergency surgery and not because I picked up too much stuff. I'd get a new OB because well, yours sounds pretty dumb.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That was extremely unprofessional behavior on that nurse's part.

Mirena made me gain weight and made it impossible to lose. I celebrated the day I finally got that crap out of me. But as long as it's been in a while and you haven't had problems yet, you should probably be OK. Maybe do a search of the company Website and see what it says about heavy lifting.
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Where are yall from??? I know plenty of lifting ladies that warm up with over a hundred pounds....
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support! I've heard mixed things on Mirena , so I guess it's going to fall down to how my body handles it, in the end. I'm sorry for the bad experiences as well :( I haven't discussed with my OB yet, just the NP's who...ya...that was totally lame.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    My first one was fine with 5 years of heavy lifting. Currently on my second Mirena and still no issues.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My story is anecdotal and should be taken as such, but I have the cupper IUD. I have had really really light spotting since I got it in February. I took 2 months off of lifting for an injury, and no spotting. Started lifting again and the spotting is back. May or may not be related but I think it's a legitimate question that your doctor SHOULD be able to address (without laughing, how unprofessional).
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thank you for the support! I've heard mixed things on Mirena , so I guess it's going to fall down to how my body handles it, in the end. I'm sorry for the bad experiences as well :( I haven't discussed with my OB yet, just the NP's who...ya...that was totally lame.
    Some women have no problem with it. My biggest issue was that my OB basically brushed me off when I told her what seemed to be happening. She told me there wasn't enough hormone and it was too localized, but it was the only change I'd made. I was still workiong out and eating healthy and had maintained a 30-pound weight loss for two years at that point and NOTHING I did moved the scale in the right direction.

I believed her and not my own instincts and kept it for three years and an extra 25 pounds. Bleh. Now I have to lose it all over again and my body is taking its time re-regulating.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    ahahahaha....what a dumba$$$! I'm 131lbs, 5'1" and have deadlifted 125lbs...that was just at my 6th week of lifting heavy...so that is dumb..way dumb.

Now I'm not a fan of the Mirena..and since you didn't ask me that I'll leave it there...but I don't the Mirena would fail from lifting if it doesn't fail during aggressive sexual encounters...so I"m sure you're good.
  • hifi898
    hifi898 Posts: 54
    Options
    My first one was fine with 5 years of heavy lifting. Currently on my second Mirena and still no issues.

THIS. This is me, and having NO issues with any kind of movement whatsoever on my second 5-year round.

You'll be fine :drinker:
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also have the Mirena and have lifted well over 100 lbs without any issues. Actually I haven't had any issues with my Mirena in general, but I know ladies that don't do any form of exercise and had all sorts of issues with theirs falling out, cramps, etc.

(I also felt it caused me to gain 15+ lbs but I'm only 5 lbs away from the weight I was when I first got it, so that doesn't seem to be a problem right now *knocks on wood*)
  • JackieEnos203014
    JackieEnos203014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didnt notice any issues with my Mirena going on 3.5 yrs. I do lots of cardio daily including running and I weight train 3 days a week and have had no issues. What did u find that Mirena hurt u in some way? You had it taken out? What are you doing now to lose the weight?

Id love to help if I can and learn how Mirena affected you. Like I said I havnt noticed anything but want to be aware what others expereiced thanks
    :smile: Jackie
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you haven't had it put in yet When you do get it inserted, I would give your body time to adapt to it before you start a new heavy lifting routine. I think that would put a lot of stress on your body throwing two new things at it at once, but that's just my thought.

I've had my Mirena for 2 years, started lifting around 9 months ago and haven't had any issues or noticed anything out of the ordinary. Sure, you may hear some stories of women who have had bad experiences with it, but I think for the majority of women there are no issues (Especially if you're fairly "regular" to begin with).
  • rml_16
    Options
    I didnt notice any issues with my Mirena going on 3.5 yrs. I do lots of cardio daily including running and I weight train 3 days a week and have had no issues. What did u find that Mirena hurt u in some way? You had it taken out? What are you doing now to lose the weight? U can email me at or friend me on
    Id love to help if I can and learn how Mirena affected you. Like I said I havnt noticed anything but want to be aware what others expereiced thanks
    :smile: Jackie
    Who are you talking to?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Your body will react differently than anyone else's. I personally had to have mine removed after a twelve weeks and it took about six months to feel normal again (and weight loss was practically nada during the whole experience). Just keep notes of how you're feeling, body and mind, and if you have any issues you feel are related to the Mirena, keep looking for a professional who will listen to you about it. (As in, if you hear "Heart palpitations, shortness of breath, mood swings, hair loss, etc. are normal and usually go away after a few months" but you feel WAY less than normal, get a second or thrid opinion.) But, I know a lot of other women it works awesome for, so best of luck for you!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Yeah. That is rude, and stupid. Just because she hadn't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are plenty of women who lift that heavy around here. I'd push the issue.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Just like some of these others, I've done plenty of activity, including some heavy lifting doing landscaping and I've had mine for years. I have also lost all my weight with it in. I love it, and I don't think you need to be worried...but your OB office is lousy and I think you should look for a new one.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Uhhh...I didn't even think about asking. I just jumped right in, and I haven't had any issues...yet. I'll call/make an appointment if I notice anything out of the ordinary.