Upped Calories...Weight Loss... WHAT?!?

Options
I have never posted a topic, but I wanted to share what I've been dealing with lately.

About 5 years ago, I started weight watchers and was successful at losing 80lbs. I lost the weight a very rapid pace, through lifestyle change and exercise alone. However, after graduating from college, and finding a new group of very social friends (Beer, tailgates, parties, bars, eating, etc...) I slowly gained about 10lbs back. Not too bad, but not a great accomplishment either... Then I met my fiance'. He is a wonderful cook loves to eat and also enjoys the social scene in life. When he and I got together I slowly put on about 30 more lbs because I was comfortable....

Upset with myself about gaining weight and tired of paying for Weight Watchers, I stumbled upon MFP... and fell in love with the program...

Just like in my "younger years", I wanted to lose weight fast --(Yes, at 23 my body worked much differently then it does at my current age of 28...) I started the program attempting to lose 1 pound per week. I knew it would be a slow process, but at least it would be healthy and would stick because I would make gradual changes. When I visited my doctor, she told me someone my weight should be losing weight at a rapid pace... I was so discouraged. So, I changed my weight loss goal on MFP to lose 2 pounds per week. This seemed like so few calories and food compared to what I was used to with my previous experience with Weight Watchers... I found that most days I was having to exercise just so that I could have calories left for a decent dinner.

Mentally I think I set my mind to believe that I was being deprived so I had a tendancy to eat terribly, (high breakfast 300 calories, high lunch 450-500 calories, snack about 100-150 calories, which would leave between 300 and 350 calories for dinner... ) My exercise calories became what I had for "dinner" or if I wanted a glass of wine... Bottom line, I was not seeing any type of results... I have been on a plateau since about May and it SUCKS!

Well, I was discouraged and posted an update on my personal page, about giving up and going back to weight watchers... Then, a few my MFP's came to the rescue -- one suggested that I really watch what/when I eat -- another suggested that I upped my calories... UP MY CALORIES?!? WHAT? Seeing how successful these Pals has been, I followed their advice....

I did some playing around and found that if I changed my weight loss goal to lose 1.5 pounds per week and split the difference between 1 and 2, I would only be eating about 200 extra calories per day -- which is really all I lacked in calories to have enough for a decent dinner. This would mean that any exercise calorie I burned, would be that... burned.. I knew I wouild keep working out, but I wouldn't feel like I had to kill myself at the gym, just to have calories left for dinner and to contribute to my calorie deficit for the day...

Long story short-- I've been doing this for exactly 7 days... I have lost 1.5 lbs... which is more weight than I have lost in the past 3 months... I'm able to stick to the plan and I rarely eat my exercise calories... I don't work quite as hard at the gym, but I don't feel like the gym is a chore that MUST be done, so that I can eat... instead, the gym is something that I get to do, to aid in my weight loss journey.

I know this is long, but I hope this helps anyone else out there on a plateau... No, upping your calories does not give you the right to just go off the deep end and eat everything not nailed down... but it does allow you to eat a little more so that your exercise calories may count for more than just a meal...

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    In short the same thing happened to me. Up the calories and lose more weight. I also like to finiah a meal without feeling hungy. Even with careful planning it takes at least 1400-1500 calories for me to get the iron and calcium that I need from my diet. I always suggest people change their MFP settings to include daily recommended amounts fo vitamons, iron, and calcium. It's very educational.
  • traceysturn
    Options
    Great post & it gives me hope. I too have been "stuck" for about 5 wks at the same weight. Granted I haven't gained but still the scale needs to move. I just, before I read your post changed my goals to 1.5 per week to see if that works. It gives me about 300 more cals a day. Its still hard to wrap my head around eat more to lose but I know it has worked for so many on this site. We'll see what that scale does next week ...
  • weightlessness
    Options
    Thanks for your post! I've been trying to change my attitude towards food and exercise, and this helps a lot!
  • Loisandrev
    Options
    I am going to try what you did. Have a hard time with 1200 calories and get frustrated when I go over. Also losing very slowly. I changed to 1 1/2 lbs and it up'd me to 1400 cals. SAY A PRAYER FOR ME! Thanks, Lois
  • DanitaM
    DanitaM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. When I was eating a low amount of calories I was actually gaining. So I upped my calories by a couple hundered and I have been losing ever since. =)
  • cherylpoitevent
    cherylpoitevent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I really do think the key to weight loss is having confidence and not beating yourself up when you have a "bad day"... I decided to give a little buffer and it really has helped... ;D :tongue:

We are in this together... NEVER GIVE UP....
  • twingirls05
    Options
    I was die hard WW until finding MFP. I had lost 100 lbs on weight watchers and then in the past 5 years, I had twins, had a singleton and turned 30...metabolism sucks after 30, especially after having 3 kids in a 3 year time span. Over that time, I gained 65 lbs with my twins, lost 62 by the time they were a year old (WW). I gained 20 lbs over time. Got pregnant with my singleton, gained 40 lbs....putting me right back to where I was when I gave birth to the twins. I lost those 40 lbs (but it took a LONG time...only lost 27 lbs all of last year....before kids, I could lose that in 3 months). Right now I'm 10 lbs above my lowest weight (pre-kids....almost 6 years ago).

I had been at a plateau for almost a year. It was SO frustrating. In that time, I started running and exercising a lot. WW only allowed me to eat back so many points (I think it was 4 pts) when I exercised. Well, on my long weekend runs, I burned more calories than I was supposed to consume for the day. I didn't really look at this until I started doing MFP and really looking at caloric intake (rather than "points") and how many calories I burned exercising. I started eating at least half of my exericse calories (if I burned over 500 for the day) back and the weight started coming off again. I found that my body needs the extra "fuel" when working out that hard. In a few weeks, I'll be running my 5th half marathon on the one year anniversary of the date that I ran my first one.

So, while I think WW works great for someone who has a lot to lose or for someone who isn't super physically active (like I am right now)...I think it's a hard program and can get discouraging for those who are more physically active. I think it just boils down to need to eat MORE in order to boost metabolism!!!

Good luck with the rest of your journey!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have been up and down so many times but I always got stuck at the same point everytime. Eventually I gave up, stopped watching, and the weight crept back. I wish I would have been on this site a long time ago, I will bet if I would have upped my calories just a little I would have blown through my plateau.
  • eve180
    eve180 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe the topic of the post when I saw it. I thought the same thing this weekend and upped my calories from 1200 to 1400. I normally eat during the middle of the night. I am happy to say that I haven't eaten during the night this week. I have committed to trying this for a least a week to see if my changes for the positive. I exercise 5 days a week but I don't feel guilty if I miss a day because I still have the calories I need to eat a meal and not feel guilty.
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    I would die if I upped my calories. I hardly eat the 1200 it tells me to eat in the first place. I'm never feeling hungry at the end of the day either. I was always told to eat more of your calories in the morning and fewer in the evening. I don't do it though. I should start eating a better breakfast than just yogurt. Problem is, I baby sit a least 2 days a week (or more) and I'm not going to fix a big breakfast for 6 people when they don't pay for the food that their kids eat. I'm being underpaid as it is (so I'm being told anyway) at only $30 a day for 3 kids...I feed them breakfast, then 2 of them lunch.

What would a typical day eating wise be for you? I normally eat my yogurt or oatmeal in the morning (100 calories) for lunch I make a sandwich that is around 230 calories then for dinner it varies but its usually a 250-300 meal with an exception or 2 during the week. After that I might eat another yogurt. There is only around 700 calories for my whole day. How do I eat more?? (sorry if it seems unreal that it's all I eat...but it's alot better than before because I would feed the kids and forget to feed myself...)
  • snowmon
    snowmon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I have found to work very well when you stop losing weight on a given diet, exercize program is to one day a week eat anything that you want. I mean anything not worrying about calories or points. Just don't go past the one day a week. One thing it does it allows you to splurge once in a while. It also tricks your body back to burning the calories it used to burn when you first started your program. Some people may want to maybe only do this once a month, or once every couple weeks. Just be careful not do it more than once a week.
  • cherylpoitevent
    Options
    I would die if I upped my calories. I hardly eat the 1200 it tells me to eat in the first place. I'm never feeling hungry at the end of the day either. I was always told to eat more of your calories in the morning and fewer in the evening. I don't do it though. I should start eating a better breakfast than just yogurt. Problem is, I baby sit a least 2 days a week (or more) and I'm not going to fix a big breakfast for 6 people when they don't pay for the food that their kids eat. I'm being underpaid as it is (so I'm being told anyway) at only $30 a day for 3 kids...I feed them breakfast, then 2 of them lunch.

What would a typical day eating wise be for you? I normally eat my yogurt or oatmeal in the morning (100 calories) for lunch I make a sandwich that is around 230 calories then for dinner it varies but its usually a 250-300 meal with an exception or 2 during the week. After that I might eat another yogurt. There is only around 700 calories for my whole day. How do I eat more?? (sorry if it seems unreal that it's all I eat...but it's alot better than before because I would feed the kids and forget to feed myself...)
    [/quote]

I typically try to eat about 300 calories for Breakfast (2 pieces of 45 calorie toast and a glass of FF Milk with Ovaltine (protein and vitamins)...

Then for lunch I typically have a sandwhich 45 calorie toast with Land o' Frost Turkey, Kraft Medium Cheddar cheese -- want to make sure you're getting your calcium... Try to avoid the Borden FF cheese products -- I realize they are lower in calories, but they are lacking so many of the nutrients you NEED to survive... and a piece of Fruit (Apple, Peach, Banana, etc..) -- Stick to the fresh kind, try to avoid canned fruits... TON'S of extra sugar...

For dinner we typically have a Chicken breast, fish, shrimp or turkey burgers... sometimes we'll have a beef burger, but only on special occasions... We pair these with veggies, a salad or a light sweet treat (FF ice cream or a glass of wine) -- Don't Deprive yourself...

Don't think we only stick to this... we do have the occasional boxed meal (Macaroni Grill Basil Chicken) We eat Turkey Dogs, and Homeade Fajita's -- the thing to remember... PORTION CONTROL...

The one piece of advice I would give to you is to make sure you're eating at least 1200 calories per day... It sounds like it's hard, but try to incorporate fruits and veggies as much as possible...

If you're like me, and budget is an issue, stick to things that are on sale... If boxed dinners are on sale...grab them, but eat your portions... grab some veggies (canned work) on the side... Since most canned veggies come LOADED with salt drink a lot of water... I try to drink at least 1.5 liters of water a day... it is very important.

I hope this helps. :wink:
  • cherylpoitevent
    Options
    What I have found to work very well when you stop losing weight on a given diet, exercize program is to one day a week eat anything that you want. I mean anything not worrying about calories or points. Just don't go past the one day a week. One thing it does it allows you to splurge once in a while. It also tricks your body back to burning the calories it used to burn when you first started your program. Some people may want to maybe only do this once a month, or once every couple weeks. Just be careful not do it more than once a week.

I do this too ;D You're right -- stick to ONE day a week/Month (whatever works for you)
  • ElmFive10
    ElmFive10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just changed my goal from 2 lbs to 1.5 and guess how many calories I got? 9. WTH?
    I'm very confused.
    And frustrated.
    And sad.
    Oh well, guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. :ohwell:
  • mable10
    Options
    i upped my calories to 1600/day and have seen additional weight loss. i was at 1200 but plateaued and read some other posts about upping my calories. i was hesitatant at first but it has worked and glad that i did it. i usually work out 5 days a week for 2+ hours at a time so my body needs the fuel.
  • californiajuls
    californiajuls Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great posts everyone. Lots to think about..
  • cherylpoitevent
    Options
    I just changed my goal from 2 lbs to 1.5 and guess how many calories I got? 9. WTH?
    I'm very confused.
    And frustrated.
    And sad.
    Oh well, guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. :ohwell:

How often do you exercise? The more you exercise, the more you get to eat on a daily basis....
  • traceysturn
    Options
    YES! Here's to upping our cals & watching the scale go down!!
  • cherylpoitevent
    Options
    I have never posted a topic, but I wanted to share what I've been dealing with lately.

About 5 years ago, I started weight watchers and was successful at losing 80lbs. I lost the weight a very rapid pace, through lifestyle change and exercise alone. However, after graduating from college, and finding a new group of very social friends (Beer, tailgates, parties, bars, eating, etc...) I slowly gained about 10lbs back. Not too bad, but not a great accomplishment either... Then I met my fiance'. He is a wonderful cook loves to eat and also enjoys the social scene in life. When he and I got together I slowly put on about 30 more lbs because I was comfortable....

Upset with myself about gaining weight and tired of paying for Weight Watchers, I stumbled upon MFP... and fell in love with the program...

Just like in my "younger years", I wanted to lose weight fast --(Yes, at 23 my body worked much differently then it does at my current age of 28...) I started the program attempting to lose 1 pound per week. I knew it would be a slow process, but at least it would be healthy and would stick because I would make gradual changes. When I visited my doctor, she told me someone my weight should be losing weight at a rapid pace... I was so discouraged. So, I changed my weight loss goal on MFP to lose 2 pounds per week. This seemed like so few calories and food compared to what I was used to with my previous experience with Weight Watchers... I found that most days I was having to exercise just so that I could have calories left for a decent dinner.

Mentally I think I set my mind to believe that I was being deprived so I had a tendancy to eat terribly, (high breakfast 300 calories, high lunch 450-500 calories, snack about 100-150 calories, which would leave between 300 and 350 calories for dinner... ) My exercise calories became what I had for "dinner" or if I wanted a glass of wine... Bottom line, I was not seeing any type of results... I have been on a plateau since about May and it SUCKS!

Well, I was discouraged and posted an update on my personal page, about giving up and going back to weight watchers... Then, a few my MFP's came to the rescue -- one suggested that I really watch what/when I eat -- another suggested that I upped my calories... UP MY CALORIES?!? WHAT? Seeing how successful these Pals has been, I followed their advice....

I did some playing around and found that if I changed my weight loss goal to lose 1.5 pounds per week and split the difference between 1 and 2, I would only be eating about 200 extra calories per day -- which is really all I lacked in calories to have enough for a decent dinner. This would mean that any exercise calorie I burned, would be that... burned.. I knew I wouild keep working out, but I wouldn't feel like I had to kill myself at the gym, just to have calories left for dinner and to contribute to my calorie deficit for the day...

Long story short-- I've been doing this for exactly 7 days... I have lost 1.5 lbs... which is more weight than I have lost in the past 3 months... I'm able to stick to the plan and I rarely eat my exercise calories... I don't work quite as hard at the gym, but I don't feel like the gym is a chore that MUST be done, so that I can eat... instead, the gym is something that I get to do, to aid in my weight loss journey.

I know this is long, but I hope this helps anyone else out there on a plateau... No, upping your calories does not give you the right to just go off the deep end and eat everything not nailed down... but it does allow you to eat a little more so that your exercise calories may count for more than just a meal...

I really hate when I read a typo... AFTER THE FACT... :(
  • skylerblue7
    skylerblue7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you know what you are talking about SM. I've heard trainers at the gym say the same thing. It works for me too. That's also what they advised when I went to WW meetings. People try to stay under their calories or points thinking it will help them to lose weight. When they add a few calories or points they tend to find success.