30+ stopping to smoke & wants to keep weight

hi there

two weeks ago i stopped smoking after beeing a heavy smoker for 20 years.

I have amazing support from my boyfriend and this time it feels right - the cravings are under control and only sometimes i feel like ripping other peoples hearts out... the big thing i am afraid of is the weight gain i experienced several times after quitting... levaing me so frustrated in the end that i reach out to the cigarettes again

so i hope mfp and some friends might help me to prevent that - already been logging for some days now - i am sorry but some of my logs are in german since i am austrian

so if anyone has some experience with stopping to smoke & weight control it would be great if you would add me as a friend

aya

Replies

• kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Congrats to you for quitting! I am a smoker. Shamefully..... In my head I know how incredibly bad it is for me, how unattractive and stinky it is, not to mention costly... But I haven't come to that right time yet. I've quit a few times before, at partners, and ex partners request. But after a stressful event I end up buying a pack... My mother in law is coming to live with us for 6mths in a few weeks, so smoking will be 100% out of the question at home. I will definitely been ripping some hearts out.... Might have to get the lozenges and slowly start to wean myself off again :indifferent: oh dear.... Feeling the stress already lol
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    I am also a new non-smoker (10 days) and as soon as I quit smoking my weight loss stalled. It is so frustrating. I read somewhere that your metabolism slows when you quit so I upped my exercise a bit. Be strong and don't give in to the cigarettes, soon you will have it under control and then tackle the weight. Surround yourself with healthy snacks so you won't be tempted to eat poorly when you need to do something with your hands. If you gain a few pounds well, that's a small investment towards a better life. One day at a time!
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Welcome, and good luck!!
  • Ayakaba
    Ayakaba Posts: 10
    @kem: i think a positive attitude without stress is crucial to a success with stopping to smoke - the more you focus on the positive effects the easier it gets... if people start to put preasure on me instead of supporting me i tand to back out
    i am more of the "wait for the right time" faction

@buffy: amazing job with the 10 days - so hellweek is over for both of us... i am sure we both will have it under control and the water bottle is never far away^^

thanks for your support
  • penguinlyn
    penguinlyn Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, Congrats on you two weeks off cigs. i know how hard it is, just stay strong, i believe that once you really put you mind to it you can do it. i gave them up myself last year and am almost a year and a half smoke free. (22 August to be exact) Would love to be here to support you tho, and hopfully loose the weight i need to shed also.
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    I am on day 2 of hell week. No deaths yet. Also no binging. but urgh.. cant wait for it to be 3 weeks (seems to be when my cravings wear off a bit) But yeah. Havnt told anyone in my world i have given up. Cause honestly the overly perky 'oh good for you.. blah blah' makes me want to eat people.
    tips.. hmm.. i think i might stick to 3 meals a day and no snacks. cause snacks are not going to be low fat or good for me. So at least for the next while, going back to basics. I have come to far to let a lil habit ruin my weight loss.