100lbs to lose. Which is better to start with?

Options
Has anyone done chalene xtreme or turbo fire? I have about 100lbs to lose. Which do you think I should start with first? What kind of results did u get?

Replies

• ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    First of all, fix your diet, it have to be spot on. 100 lbs is more then 40kg, quite a bit overweight, so in the beginning I would go with something easier on your joints. What's your fitness level?
  • Irockursocks87
    Irockursocks87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would start with turbo jam and then move your way up to turbo fire. I started turbo jam at 262 pounds on June 1st. I have lost 38 pounds since then doing the turbo jam cardio party :)
  • chrissy7
    chrissy7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's ok. I chase around a 2 yr old all day so it's not like I'm sitting around on my behind all day doing nothing. I plan on taking it slow and not overdoing it.
  • badwolves
    Options
    Neither. Start watching your eating habits (use the food log on here!) and start slower with exercise. You're more likely to get frustrated and give up if you're doing workout videos that wind you and leave you feeling weak. Start with walking at a brisk pace, not slow, and work your way up to power walking, jogging, running. Do strength training at your own pace, too.

I hate videos because they give you a grand total of three levels to work at. What happens when beginner is too easy but moderate is too hard? I don't feel like they let you go at your own pace and that's important in keeping your body healthy.
  • ImLaurie
    ImLaurie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have Insanity which I do if I'm feeling like really pushing it. Don't laugh.... I do Tae Bo. It's good for those days where I'm feeling less than capable or really tired. Heart rate goes up and it's more arm work than most DVD's put me through.

Ultimately.... saving the best for last.... YOGA!!! It's the best for strength and anyone can do it.
  • chrissy7
    chrissy7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fast replies!!! I'll definitely think about start off slower
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done chalene xtreme or turbo fire? I have about 100lbs to lose. Which do you think I should start with first? What kind of results did u get?

Hey chrissy. Welcome

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either because while they're both good, your loss will come from your diet primarily and not your workout. The workout will just allow you to eat more (on MFP, you eat back at least half of the burned calories). So pick whichever you think you will enjoy and get started. Don't spend too much time thinking about the best because they're both good. You might enjoy one of them long term or not enjoy any in which case I encourage you to explore and find other activities that you might enjoy for long term (boxing, running, biking, weight lifting, swimming etc.)

Good luck :)

ETA: The first 3 links from Ophidion are awesome too (never checked the rest of them but I'm sure those are good too)
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either because while they're both good, your loss will come from your diet primarily and not your workout. The workout will just allow you to eat more (on MFP, you eat back at least half of the burned calories).

No. I never eat back my calories. It depends on the individual.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either because while they're both good, your loss will come from your diet primarily and not your workout. The workout will just allow you to eat more (on MFP, you eat back at least half of the burned calories).

No. I never eat back my calories. It depends on the individual.

*sigh*

You are free to do whatever you like. I am just saying how the MFP design was made. There are countless threads about eating your calories back. It does not depend on the individual, you can lose weight by not eating at all (think starving people in Africa) but then you will not just lose fat but also muscle mass which, while you will be skinny, but you will be skinny fat and have little muscle to work with.

If all you want to do is lose weight, sure, don't eat back your workout calories but if you want to lose weight sensibly and have a long lasting and healthy relationship with food and fitness, eat back your calories.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Hey chrissy. Welcome

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either because while they're both good, your loss will come from your diet primarily and not your workout. The workout will just allow you to eat more (on MFP, you eat back at least half of the burned calories). So pick whichever you think you will enjoy and get started. Don't spend too much time thinking about the best because they're both good. You might enjoy one of them long term or not enjoy any in which case I encourage you to explore and find other activities that you might enjoy for long term (boxing, running, biking, weight lifting, swimming etc.)

Good luck :)

ETA: The first 3 links from Ophidion are awesome too (never checked the rest of them but I'm sure those are good too)

^ This. And yes, check out all the links Ophidion posted. The bodyrecomposition site is quality.
  • missimplicity
    missimplicity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    HI there! I know my MFP ticker says I've lost 4 lbs, but it's actually 58 total (see picture).

Anyway, I've not done either of those videos and I started my journey going from mostly sendentary as well, including chasing a toddler. I started out with Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. It was short enough not to get me discouraged. I lost 13 lbs and quite a few inches when I did it.

However, I also agree that the biggest part of weight loss is going to be conquering your eating habits. Before joining MFP, I was on Weight Watchers. Understanding the science of food and calories is really what helped the most. Once I conquered eating, I started losing more. And before you spend money on those DVD's (if you haven't already) the Couch to 5K running program is an excellent way to melt weight off.

Bottom line though is, you'll have to try out a few different programs to find what works for you. Don't limit yourself to DVDs if you don't have to. I found out that I love lifting weights and running. Who knew?

Good luck on your journey!
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Start with the one you can do and enjoy - the actual program is not important, what is important is that you find something you will be able to do consistently. Once you have developed a habit of exercising regularly, you may find that you are able to do more/different exercises.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Have to agree... neither.

Simply put, there is no silver bullet to weight loss. Weight loss is widely considered to be 80% caloric intake and 20% exercise. Without addressing your caloric intake, you won't achieve your goals. No single exercise program will burn off all the excess weight you've likely spent years accumulating unless you address the eating habits. You need to embrace a lifestyle which includes a healthy well balanced diet and exercise. The combination of the two is proven to work.

One of the reasons people fail is that they jump on the latest exercise bandwagon... go hard at it for 20-30 days, see some results and then life gets in the way. They need to stop exercising, but in turn haven't adjusted their diet... the weight comes right back on (and usually includes a few extra pounds). It then becomes harder to jump back on the bandwagon as you are now discouraged.

When I started losing weight (long time before I knew about MFP), I took a holistic view of how I became obese. I examined the route causes, looked at the length of time they had been going on and settled on an ideal of how long it would take to take it off. I set goals, and mini-goals which I in turn rewarded.

I reviewed my dietary habits and analyzed why I ate what I ate. I found alternatives to these things (i.e. if I was craving crunchy, I subbed out potato chips with carrot sticks, if craving something sweet, I dropped in healthy alternatives raisins instead of candy). I basically assessed everything I was putting into my mouth. This included portion size and content (read your labels!)

I also made a relatively easy commitment... I created a concept I called 5:30. 5:30 means the following... Five servings of fruits\ veggies a day and thirty minutes of exercise a day. Your exercise can include walking, jogging, lifting weights, playing tennis... just 30 minutes a day. Follow this concept for a month, in most cases you can't help but lose.

Lastly... drink the water. It won't kill you... but while you are drinking the water, you are also not drinking the sugary fountain drinks, the over sweetened juice or coffee or milk shake. I don't view water as a silver bullet either, but it is one of those things that helps satisfy thirst. When people are thirsty, it opens the door for consuming hollow calories (i.e. how many people reach for that can of coke with its approximately 39g of sugar vs water?)

FWIW - I lost over 100 lbs in my first year doing 5:30 and analyzing and fixing my diet. I hope it helps someone take that long look in the dietary mirror.

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Have to agree... neither.

Simply put, there is no silver bullet to weight loss. Weight loss is widely considered to be 80% caloric intake and 20% exercise. Without addressing your caloric intake, you won't achieve your goals. No single exercise program will burn off all the excess weight you've likely spent years accumulating unless you address the eating habits. You need to embrace a lifestyle which includes a healthy well balanced diet and exercise. The combination of the two is proven to work.

One of the reasons people fail is that they jump on the latest exercise bandwagon... go hard at it for 20-30 days, see some results and then life gets in the way. They need to stop exercising, but in turn haven't adjusted their diet... the weight comes right back on (and usually includes a few extra pounds). It then becomes harder to jump back on the bandwagon as you are now discouraged.

When I started losing weight (long time before I knew about MFP), I took a holistic view of how I became obese. I examined the route causes, looked at the length of time they had been going on and settled on an ideal of how long it would take to take it off. I set goals, and mini-goals which I in turn rewarded.

I reviewed my dietary habits and analyzed why I ate what I ate. I found alternatives to these things (i.e. if I was craving crunchy, I subbed out potato chips with carrot sticks, if craving something sweet, I dropped in healthy alternatives raisins instead of candy). I basically assessed everything I was putting into my mouth. This included portion size and content (read your labels!)

I also made a relatively easy commitment... I created a concept I called 5:30. 5:30 means the following... Five servings of fruits\ veggies a day and thirty minutes of exercise a day. Your exercise can include walking, jogging, lifting weights, playing tennis... just 30 minutes a day. Follow this concept for a month, in most cases you can't help but lose.

Lastly... drink the water. It won't kill you... but while you are drinking the water, you are also not drinking the sugary fountain drinks, the over sweetened juice or coffee or milk shake. I don't view water as a silver bullet either, but it is one of those things that helps satisfy thirst. When people are thirsty, it opens the door for consuming hollow calories (i.e. how many people reach for that can of coke with its approximately 39g of sugar vs water?)

FWIW - I lost over 100 lbs in my first year doing 5:30 and analyzing and fixing my diet. I hope it helps someone take that long look in the dietary mirror.

^^^This was awesome. I never thought about looking at it in the "5:30" method.

I myself have around 100 lbs to lose and I tried to jump into exercise with the couch to 5K program....my knees, with all this excess weight won't allow it. The elliptical, my bike, and walking have been much kinder to me. And they all allow me, more so the biking and elliptical, to get and keep my heart rate up without causing my knee to retain fluid or my knees to hurt. I've worked out hard and even had trainers but never, until now, changed my diet much...so I would see results in my strength but never lost much weight. I don't want to jump into anything too hard and high impact because I 1) don't want to injure myself and set myself back and 2) don't want any excuse to be able to talk myself out of it.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Doing anything with 100 lbs is going to be helpful

I would start with just figuring out where you need to be calorically and then start walking.