Birthday Cake Advices

Options
nixas
nixas Posts: 3
Hi

My birthday is rapidly looming and its a big one, I know my family will want to do something about a cake. Does anyone have any simple low cal recipes they could share please? I like most cake but I hate banana.

Replies

• NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Happy early birthday :)

Here are a couple of recipes I've tried.

If you like carrot cake, this is amazing! She has other great recipes as well. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/super-moist-carrot-cake-with-cream.html

carrot-cake2.jpg

Also, I made this cake the other day. It is ok (a little dry) but it was ok. http://www.splenda.com.au/chocolate-cake

People tend to rave about chocolatecoveredkatie.com and all her deserts. Check it out if you get a chance :)
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add this one. I haven't tried it but it looks super good http://chocolateandcarrots.com/2011/02/secret-ingredient-chocolate-peanut-butter-cake

black-bean-choc-pb-cake1-6820.jpg
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The other day I made a cake out of fruit for my birthday, it was basically a fruit salad but looked like a cake. It was really delicious and the yogurt and flaked almonds really added to it, and i had fruit kebabs with yogurt to dip in. heys a link similar to what i did, but i added another melon tier to the top and cut out a "21" to stand up on the top : http://family.go.com/food/recipe-893594-watermelon-almond-tart-t/. Also there is a clean eating recipe for a lemon and blueberry cake on this amazing webite, only 200kcals a slice: http://www.blogilates.com/recipe-index/healthy-desserts/happy-birthday-jackelyn
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i agree with the other commenter too, i use chocolate covered katie recipes all the time and they always turn out really well
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add this one. I haven't tried it but it looks super good http://chocolateandcarrots.com/2011/02/secret-ingredient-chocolate-peanut-butter-cake

black-bean-choc-pb-cake1-6820.jpg

Just drooled on my keyboard !
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It is your birthday, eat the cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Or you can eat some cake, and enjoy the one day of the year dedicated to YOU! (if you'll feel bad, get a good workout in beforehand!!)
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Probably my 20 years as a cake decorator ruined it for me, but for the most part I can't even eat it anymore. I know that my family loves cake SO to keep my portions in check I've been doing cupcakes. Instead of the usual 'decorating' icing I put either some Cool Whip or Cool Whip frosting ( need to measure that stuff) or a drip of Nutella. If they make the cake or you make it low cal you can nab it for about 100 calories. I put regular stuff on theirs since now my own awesome icing makes me sick. :(

If you need some swap suggestions let me know. Since I don't do it professionally unless requested, I use the freakin box mix lol
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This recipe (sorry about the messed up formatting) is for secretly healthy double chocolate muffins. However, I was informed by a judge at the county fair that one could make a birthday cake out of the recipe and no one would ever know that they were really healthy.
    However, honestly, on my birthday, I would just call it a cheat day. That's just me though. :)

Makes approximately 24 muffins. Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins freeze well up to 3 months: heat up for 1 minute after frozen.
    Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    * 1 1/2 cup sugar (or sugar substitute... I like the Truvia baking blend)
    * 2 eggs
    * 1 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt, plain or vanilla)
    * 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 1 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup whole wheat flour
    * 1cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    * 1teaspoon salt
    * 2 teaspoon baking soda
    * 2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 cup mini chocolate chips, plus a few more for sprinkling on top

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Do not use liners.
    2. In a large bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, honey, eggs, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Whisk them all together until smooth, with no yogurt lumps remaining.

4. Sift* the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together. Slowly stir in the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Get any dry pockets of flour out. Fold in the mini chocolate chips. The batter will be a little chunky. This is ok.

6. Divide the batter evenly amount 12 liners - fill them all the way to the top if you can. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the temperature down to 375 and continue to bake for 13 more minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of one muffin. If it comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake for only 2 more minutes.

8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For my birthday, I get my favorite cake from a good bakery (not some cheap, fluorescent cake from grocery store) and I eat it slowly, savoring every bite! Happy Birthday!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Would just enjoy my cake. There are only so many calories you can take out of a dessert.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i found this recipe on another post here, i wish i could remember the poster's name:

i think it's skinny fudge cake? i get a slice of this, top it with Skinny Cow's Chocolate truffle(stick taken out) and a dallop of Cool Whip no sugar(the only one i found without high fructose corn syrup if you're into that) and I don't feel like i'm missing anything. the cake slice when I made it was 114 cals, skinny cow truffle bar 100 and cool whip(40 i think?) and it's a great treat! have a great birthday!

you can have a splurge meal and go for some full fat awesome cake!
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not sure how low cal it would be, but sounds like it could be. I've heard that you can just mix a "spice" cake mix with pumpkin pie filling (maybe you could use pureed pumpkin and add you own spices and sweetness to control more calories).

For the frosting, try coolwhip mixed with some fat free cream cheese to make it thicker?

On the other hand, I firmly believe birthday calories don't count, enjoy ONE piece of a cake you enjoy, and go for an extra walk afterwards with your loved ones.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's a trick for cakes that's been around for at least the last 10 years - use canned pumpkin puree! Take pretty much any cake mix and add a 15 oz can of pumkin puree (not pie filling) and water. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of water but I've seen some online saying 1 cup of water. I've actually found not adding the water works ok too - seems to depend on the cake mix so you can just mix in the pumpkin and then see if it needs more moisture.

For 24 muffins. Bake at 350 F for 18-20 minutes.

For cake - bundt pan works best. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes

My friend made carrot cake muffins recently using this recipe. She topped them with frosting made from non dairy cream cheese and then dipped the frosted top into shredded coconut. Amazing!!
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/06/12/healthy-cake-recipe/

If you're into recipes, etc. Honestly though, like others have said, it's one day out of the entire year. Enjoy your birthday cake.

If it were me, and I was as concerned about it as you seem to be, I'd make the cake myself, using whole ingredients, no non-fat, low-cal crap, just use real food. I'm so tired of franken-foods. You guys will seriously never, ever, ever be the best you can be if you continue to eat artificially manufactured "foods".

::end of rant::

P.S. Happy Birthday.
  • marianneread
    marianneread Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts that it's okay to eat an appropriate portion of your favorite cake for your birthday, but if you're not there yet, maybe an angel food cake with berries?