Pre-log or Post-log

Options
Good morning -

Do you plan out the following days meals and log prior to eating or just eat what you have and then log it?

I tend to pre-log so I know how much of what I can eat for the day. I find it easier to stay on track this way as well.

I've usually logged in all the way up until lunch the night before, including snacks, so that I can pack up my food for the day.

Dinner I plan at work according to how many calories I have left and or how much exercise I get in that day.

Replies

• maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely pre-log! Post-logging is how I get into trouble with, oh, I don't know... booze, wine gums, crisps. The list goes on.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-log most of the time. I use my phone app to log my food and do it each time I eat something. The only time I pre-log is dinner if I know what we're having and am wondering how many snacks I can eat in the afternoon! I don't do that every day, though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Usually both... pre-log to plan out the day, then post log to reflect what I actually ate.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pre-log, with a little wiggle-room for any adds/take-aways! I find when I pre-log and look at everything listed, I get excited and look forward to those meals/snacks. I think it also helps me to "not feel deprived" of anything and I haven't once binged in the 60 days of logging because of it. :)
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log on weekdays. Weekends are more flexible. If I know what we are having/where we'rwe'll be eating, I'll pre-log. Otherwise I post-log.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Both. I prepare my meals for the weekdays on Sunday night (my week days morning are always super busy). But on week-end I'm more relaxed. And of course, when I have a slip-up, I have no choice but to post-log.
  • SherryL0419
    SherryL0419 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log my meals so I can see how much room I have for snacks. I usually pre-log snacks too but only right before I eat them, not first thing of the morning like my meals. I never click complete until the end of the day after I'm finished eating though...and even if I slip-up and eat something after I've clicked complete I will still go back and change it.
  • vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have their own opinion (and if it's working for them they will each be correct).... what has worked for me is to get up very early (because I'm a morning person and the house is quiet) and pre-plan my day. I start with dinner first as that is our big family meal and I want to enjoy it. I then log backwards....any left-over calories go for a snack or two. When I do this, it is effortless and there is no stress at all.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log up to dinner. Dinner is whatever will fit the rest of the calories. Otherwise, I tend to under eat because I will overestimate my calories and I'm trying to bump them up.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the entire day the day before. Tomorrow is already planned out and logged.
    Takes the guess work out of things and makes me feel in control.
    Sometimes the next day I'll tweak things a bit but I usually stick to what I've planned.
    This is what's working for me, anyway.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do both. If I make my breakfast and lunch ahead of time for the next day then I pre-log it, but sometimes I just wing it! lol
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I generally log right before I eat something, and adjust the portion size (or change my mind about eating it) when I see what it does to my day. This gives me flexibility to eat what I want when I want without feeling that I am messing up a plan, while still allowing control over my intake.

Some days I will pre-log my breakfast or lunch when I am packing it so I can decide what snacks to pack or how big of a b-fast or lunch to bring based on the other meal.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log so I know how much I can eat, but also when I need to be cooking or if I need to pick anything up from the grocery store.

Some days I'll just pre-log breakfast and lunch and a few snacks, and then see what fits when dinner time rolls around, allowing me more flexibility.
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to pre-log as I never know what my wife and I are having for dinner. So I usually try to not over do it @ breakfast and lunch. I try to work out most every night of the week and Saturday morning, which gives me a cushion for evenings. Weekends, especially Sunday's, are harder. I just have to be extra careful on weekends. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself for those days. It can get frustrating at times.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    prior, unless I don't cook. i post-log at restaraunts
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I can't predict what I will eat, so while it is generally the same kinds of foods, I log throughout the day AFTER the fact.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Both. If I'm being good, post-log as it won't matter. If I'm planning on being naughty, I pre-log to make sure I'm not overly naughty.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log. I usually complete my diary by 8am, that way I know that I won't be going over for the day, and when I look at some snack on the shelf I can resist it better because then I'd be 'cheating' since I'd be eating it and not logging. :)
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm on day two of pre-logging. I’m liking it! If anything changes, I just adjust. I’m loving seeing exactly how my day will end if I stock to it
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I pre-log everything so I can keep my macros in line. Once I hit my protein goal, carbs and fat are usually where they should be. Weekends I usually log as I go because my eating is kind of unpredictable.