6ft and over weight loss goals?

Options
I'm a 6ft girl and BMI calculators seem to say 140lb is healthy for us. I can't imagine being that slim would look healthy! I'm currently aiming to get to 170! what are you all aiming for? :)

Replies

• JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    I don't go by those charts but it's actually between 140 and 176 for women.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Ignore BMI; they aren't accurate for a lot of people. You're better off using a body fat estimate to reach a healthy body fat. I'm technically overweight by BMI, but I am fit by body fat due to having more muscle mass than average.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    BMI is a very divisive issue and is often misunderstood.

Don't ignore it, but don't treat it as final law.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    As the others have said BMI is not a good tool for everyone. It is based on the assumption that everyone has the same basic body structure which is definately not reality. Use a calipers and figure out your bodyfat% and take tape measurements. I am also 6', though a male, and have been in the overweight category of BMI for all of my adult life. Even if I get down to 15% bodyfat I will be "overweight" according to the BMI scale. My advice would be to quit worrying about the scale and start paying more attention to the measurements and mirror! Good luck!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    YES, IGNORE the BMI charts. BF% , measurements and your mirror are the way to go.....

In my 20's I maintained at 8-10%BF always. And was over weight according to BMI .....LOL....
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    I'm 6'1", female and our goal weight is somewhere between 160-190lbs. This is healthy for a woman of an average frame at this height. 140lbs only works if you're also very small in frame, such as narrow hips and shoulders.

I'm pretty broad for a woman and I don't really want to go below 200lbs, regardless of BF% because I'm just not built for that sort of weight. I like having some pudge too (yeah, crazy, right?). It's why my main focus is to be healthy. I want to make a lifestyle change to make better choices and exercise more. I have goal weights set to help motivate myself that change is happening, but whether I'm 220lbs or 240lbs, I don't care much for it. It's how I feel that matters, and I'm already doing considerably better!

Go by what feels right for you. If you want to have a healthy BF% then go by measurements. If you feel great at 170lbs then there's no shame in sticking to that! Numbers aren't everything.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    BMI is a very divisive issue and is often misunderstood.

Don't ignore it, but don't treat it as final law.

Ignore it. BMI is a joke.