Am I wasting my time?

Options
My current exercise routine consists of running 3 days a week and doing Jillian michaels No More Trouble Zones 2 times per week. I've recently increased the dumbells to 12 lbs each and I am really tired by the end of it. For those who dont know, NMTZ is no cardio and basically 45 minutes of strength training exercises targeting all areas. What with all I have been reading about heavy lifting I'm wondering if 12 lbs is a joke. I don't find it easy and the last reps of the exercises get more difficult. My muscles really do feel worked. So am I wasting my time or will I see results with this?
I have been at a plateau for the last 3 months and really need to break through. Have 10 lbs left to my goal.
Please, would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is a relative term. You want to choose a weight that only allows you to do 8-12 reps to failure. If you can do more than 12 reps without failing, then the weight is too light, if you can't do 8 reps before failing, then the weight is too heavy.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    "Heavy lifting" actually generally implies a lower rep range (between 3 and 8), and working to failure a lot.

To be honest with you, I have a hard time believing 12lb dumbbells are that challenging for you. A lot of times people I've trained with really just don't know what they're capable of until they're pushed.

I would look up Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting and get on more of a steady lifting routine. Focus on progressive overload (lifting heavier weight as you workout longer), and really push yourself.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. my problem with starting those programs is that i think i would need to go to a gym for that and that is not an option for me at this time. what would i need at home to start one of those programs?
    to the poster who said i am probably capable of more, i know i am. doing this particular dvd with 12 lbs is not easy (she does it with 3 lbs) but maybe that is because of way it is layed out. for example, 12 lbs in each hand for shoulder raises is hard (while doing lunges) as is all the plank work (with no weights) and ab exercises (mostly no weights) but then will come something like deadlifts or bicep curls which really is way too easy. so at the end i am tired from all the overalll workout but not necessarily from each individual exercise. does that make sense?
    any pointers on starting a heavy lifting program at home?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you have duffle bag?

dead lift the duffle bag- or do single leg dead lifts

12 pounds IS a joke for dead lifting- that's often people's heaviest lift. Right now with an effed up elbow- I can't put up 25 lb DB's for an arnold- O.H.P or a bench... (my one rep max 6 months ago was like 175 and i could go higher at this point up till my injury)...

but I can lift almost 300 lbs off the floor.

12 lbs for a dead lift is a joke- for OHP it's not esp if you are just starting- but you can always make a sand bag- or use a duffle bag and adapt it- or backpack.

edit- not trying to be snarky about it... just saying- yes you could get more out of it- having 1 set of weights isn't enough.... it's one reason why people pay for a gym- so they can have access to weights from 5lbs all the way up to 120 or more. (well free weights- clearly barbells are different)

but I agree with what
    \/ \/ \/ this says.... not waste of time- just maybe could be more effective.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are you wasting your time? No. Are you getting the most out of yoru workouts? Probably not.

So it really comes down to that... are you happy with the effort you are giving and the results you are getting? If so, then keep at it. If not, then ramp up your intensity. Look into bodyweight routines, buy some dumbbells or resistance bands, or get creative with weights (gallon jugs of water, bags of canned foods, chairs, kids, etc). There are lots of options, you just have to do some research to find the ones that work with what you've got access to.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    "Heavy lifting" actually generally implies a lower rep range (between 3 and 8), and working to failure a lot.

To be honest with you, I have a hard time believing 12lb dumbbells are that challenging for you. A lot of times people I've trained with really just don't know what they're capable of until they're pushed.

I would look up Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting and get on more of a steady lifting routine. Focus on progressive overload (lifting heavier weight as you workout longer), and really push yourself.

Another option would be stronglifts 5 x 5. Done in about 30 minutes and not a lot of new exercises to learn.
  • nenyablue
    Options
    I'm a female exerciser, and I think you will have better results if you invest in more weights or maybe some resistance bands to give you more challenge. Having lighter weights as well as heavier ones will let you still get a workout in on days when you're feeling wiped out, or a little too sore for your usual routine.

Shoulders and triceps are more delicate muscles than your biceps and legs - as you've noticed yourself. I rarely use more than 10 lbs for shoulder work because of old injuries. But I need at least 40 lbs for deadlifts and squats to feel challenging.

I would consider investing in a small adjustable dumbbell set... you don't need those super-fancy powerblock ones, you can just watch the sales and get a basic 40-lb set. 40 lbs wasn't challenging enough for my boyfriend, so we watched Craigslist and eventually added 4 10-lb plates too. He can load up and have 2 40-lb dumbbells for his workouts, and I can keep them lighter for mine.

Weight plates won't wear out and don't take up much space. We find it easy to store our weights (including my smaller dumbbells) in the bottom of the coat closet.

I have tried to make my own sandbag, thinking it would be a cheaper option, but had mixed results. If you are a do-it-yourself person, it's another way to save money and add to your fitness equipment collection. it was fun for deadlifts and squats but I didn't seal it properly and got tired of the mess... couldn't make myself spend the $$ for a premade one after putting in all the work to make my own. Pride just wouldn't allow it, lol!

Also - you've been doing the same routine for awhile. I totally second NROL and Stronglifts 5x5. It might be time to switch that routine up.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody for your help!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No you are not wasting your time and you will see results with your routine. Will it be the same results as with heavy lifting? No. Ultimately, over time, the end result will be different. We've all seen athletes and fit people who do different activities who have a different "look". But they are all fit.

You just need to decide what look you want and work toward that.
  • nenyablue
    Options
    You can do a lot of the moves from New Rules Of Lifting at home. Also, my cousin swears by Joyce Vedral... she published a lot of books on weight training in the 90s and many of them are available at the library. You can do all of her moves at home with your own weights, you don't need any gym equipment.

The only thing I would need a gym for is a squat rack. And most of them around my town don't have them anyway, so, I mostly work out at home. You can do a lot with your own equipment.