Confused by cooked/dried brown rice calories???

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'll try and be brief.....I'm having wholegrain brown rice tonight (Sainsburys) and on the packet it says that a 50g Dry Weight is 169 calories BUT 100g cooked as per instructions is 135 calories????? I thought it would be higher cooked???

Now I'm confused - I want a "normal" sized portion with my low fat curry tonight...do I weigh 50g out (169 calories dry) and if so how do I know what the calories are for 50g cooked OR do I weigh 100g (135 calories cooked) and then weigh it after to make sure I'm having 100g???

Please help!!!! Thanks in advance. This whole dry and cooked thing is puzzling me!!!

Replies

• Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What it is telling you:

Weigh your rice before cooking (dry weight), then a portion of 50 grams of uncooked rice is 169 calories.

Cook a lot of rice (like for a week) then weight your already cooked rice? Then 100 grams of cooked rice equals 135 calories.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    One portion of rice is about a half cup, or the size of your palm... Flat, not piled high. It is a tiny bit over 100 calories. This information will probably be more important to you long term.

Most portions should be the size of your palm for meat, fish, rice, etc. Cheese should be smaller, about 1 oz. i believe 4 little squares is about one serving. Nuts are also smaller. About 6 will yield 100 calories. Vegies should be larger. Cup both hands together like a bowl and that is a portion. Fruit is half cup per portion in general.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    What it is telling you:

Weigh your rice before cooking (dry weight), then a portion of 50 grams of uncooked rice is 169 calories.

Cook a lot of rice (like for a week) then weight your already cooked rice? Then 100 grams of cooked rice equals 135 calories.
    This.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Sounds right. Rice triples in volume after cooking, give or take.