Looking for best HRM, Thoughts???

Options
Hello all,

I have been doing insanity, am running sometimes (but not very much so don't really need a GPS), Ride my horse, and sometimes swim:) Also go for some long walks every now and again... Just looking into getting a HRM and was wondering what the best one would be for the exercises I do... I guess insanity is my biggest thing tha't I'll be using it for! Thanks for all the answers in advance:)

Replies

• calroseangelo
    Options
    I have a Polar ft4. It does just what I need it to. It's easy to use and works well! I got mine on amazon.com I believe.
  • anasantos61
    anasantos61 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H7 which is Bluetooth. It's only the chest strap that you wear not the watch.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft4. It does just what I need it to. It's easy to use and works well! I got mine on amazon.com I believe.

Does it come with the chest strap?
  • Emberbreeze
    Emberbreeze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've used a polar HRM in the past and the one I used came with a chest strap. It worked great for keeping track of my HR and calories burned. But if you're looking for something that can give you more information, I'd suggest something like a Bodymedia Fit. I have one and it tells you the amount of steps you take, the calories you've burned throughout the day (if you wear it all day), the intensity of the workout, and if you wear it at night it tells you how much quality sleep you're getting. The bodymedia is worn on the arm, so it is very noticable if your wearing short sleeves, that's the only down side in my opinion. It also connects to this site so you can take all the calories you burn and automaticly update it here. I've never used the fitbit, but I think it is similar, except it doesn't track sleep.

All of these are great, but keep in mind none of them can go in the pool with you :)

Hope this helps!
  • cmmanning33
    cmmanning33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar F7 this week. I've used it 3 times so far and love it! It comes with the chest strap.
  • hopefaithlove24
    Options
    I've used a polar HRM in the past and the one I used came with a chest strap. It worked great for keeping track of my HR and calories burned. But if you're looking for something that can give you more information, I'd suggest something like a Bodymedia Fit. I have one and it tells you the amount of steps you take, the calories you've burned throughout the day (if you wear it all day), the intensity of the workout, and if you wear it at night it tells you how much quality sleep you're getting. The bodymedia is worn on the arm, so it is very noticable if your wearing short sleeves, that's the only down side in my opinion. It also connects to this site so you can take all the calories you burn and automaticly update it here. I've never used the fitbit, but I think it is similar, except it doesn't track sleep.

All of these are great, but keep in mind none of them can go in the pool with you :)

Hope this helps!

Yes I've been looking at fitbit, as yes it does track your sleep also, I'm just wondering if the step thing is accurate, as my friend ahs fitbit flex and it doesn't seem accurate, if you move your arm it''ll count too!
  • Emberbreeze
    Emberbreeze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh great! I didn't think it tracked sleep :) I'm not sure of it's accuracy since I haven't used it. The bodymedia seems to be pretty accurate. I can tell by the charts all the time I spend sitting at my desk each day. Good luck with whichever you choose!
  • anasantos61
    Options
    The Polar H7 is just the chest strap and its Bluetooth so you download the app to your phone, I have the IPhone 5. You just have to pair the strap to the phone and select the exercise you are going to do. I use it for walking and running
  • anasantos61
    Options
    I also had the fitbit and returned it. I didn't like the fact that it counted my 1 hour commute to work.

I now have the Jawbone and its ok. I really go by my HRM as far as calorie burn thru my workouts.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've got Polar ft4 - does a great job and is picked up by treadmills in my gym etc. I would upgrade next time and get a bluetooth compatible chest strap as you can then use with a load of apps on iphone/android that will sync alongside other data they can capture (distance, speed, elevation, etc) - like Runkeeper, Strada, the Polar app, etc. Not the end of the world as I can adjust any data in the apps I use from HRM data - just doesn't sync automatically. If you are just using for home workouts, then a cheap Polar without bluetooth would be fine - you just need the heart rate and calories burned data.
  • hopefaithlove24
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for all the replies, I am more looking for the calories burned than steps so yes, I think I might go with the polar, now just to decide if I take the bluetooth one or the one without:)
  • hopefaithlove24
    Options
    The Polar H7 is just the chest strap and its Bluetooth so you download the app to your phone, I have the IPhone 5. You just have to pair the strap to the phone and select the exercise you are going to do. I use it for walking and running

The app and bleutooth thing will only work on an iphone though or also on other phones? I don't own an iphone :S
  • anasantos61
    Options
    I believe it works on any phone with Bluetooth.
  • hopefaithlove24
    Options
    I believe it works on any phone with Bluetooth.

If i look on the website it says the app is only for Iphone 5 and Iphone 4s :( So I'm guessing it works off that app! Think I'll just go with the 4ft
  • melm413
    melm413 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit ultra and love it! It clips to your bra so you never notice it. I would get a separate HRM for workouts though as it only counts steps.
  • hopefaithlove24
    Options
    I have a FitBit ultra and love it! It clips to your bra so you never notice it. I would get a separate HRM for workouts though as it only counts steps.

Ya I don't really worry about the amount of steps I burn, more about the calories:)

Thank you for your advice though!
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Devices like the fitbit and UP band track movement not heart rate. They are great...I love my UP band which tracks sleep, but I have heard them referred to as glorified pedometers.

Not that I mind...as I said, I absolutely adore mine! But I think it would be beneficial to also have an HRM and I've been thinking about getting one of those as well.
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 as well as a FitBit zip.

I use my HRM to log all my exercises, while I wear my fitbit all day to track my activity. I keep my fitbit on while using my HRM.

I love them both and would recommend them both.