Water

Options
Hey guys,

Okay, so I'm pushing water like everyone says. I keep a water bottle with me at all times, I have one Coke Zero small bottle, I pour on ice for some "caffeine shots" and soda fix every other day or so lol but sticking with water. My thing is it, it is soo hard to drink it. I am forcing myself.

Do those MIO things work? Or do they just hinder the water intake?

Suggestions to make this a better change for lifestyle..and not having to "force myself" to drink water?

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add fresh fruit to my water pitcher in the fridge, it makes the water taste fruity, but doesn't add sugar or calories.
  • maryp1024
    maryp1024 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've always heard water with lemon is good. And especially lemon water that is "warm" like tap tempertaure. I try and drink one of those a day. Beware of the nutrasweet. That's not the best artificial sweetner for losing weight. You'd do better with sweet n low. That's what I've used for years.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't like water plain either. I use stuff like crystal light, hawaiian punch packets, etc. I know they are probably not so good for you but this is the only way I can get the water down. Good Luck in finding something that works for you.:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    I haven't tried mio before, but i will tell you the more you drink the water the more you get use to it. I hated water with a passion. I couldnt drink it. I slowly eased it in my diet and drank a couple bottles a day with soda. and after awhile i just dropped the soda and now all i drink is water.

try drinking just water for a month and then try a soda. it will taste discusting. its really acidic tasting and i can't bear more than one sip. Just keep drinking water and if you have to have flavor buy crystal light pink lemonade packets for bottled water.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like to fill a pitcher with water and throw some cucumbers in it and let it sit overnight. It gives the water a refreshing flavor! I would give this a try, delicious and nutritious :)
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Try it at different temperatures (I love hot water). Herbal teas work well, fruit (like others have suggested). Haven't tried Mio, but I do like the Cyrstal light type things (I usually only need about 1/4 of what they suggest).
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you don't like plain water drink things like coffee, tea, or pop (I realize they have caffeine but contrary to what everyone seems to think the amount of caffeine in them does not dehydrate you). Or use Crystal Light, Mio, etc. You can also try getting a pitcher, adding in a sliced lime, lemon, orange, grapefruit, cucumber, strawberries, etc and than fill with water. Put in the fridge overnight and you'll have some great tasting water.
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    I've put strawberries in my water before. Delicious and refreshing!
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hated water for the longest - it was a chore to finish one bottle all day. I found that room temp water works better for me for some reason...now I am up to 6-8 bottles a day no prob. Stick with it - it grows on you
  • smiddy16
    Options
    Before I started with My Fitness Pal, my boyfriend and I always had pop in the house and we had one or two cans per day each. Now instead of buying pop we have been buying bottles of water. I know it is better to buy a reusable bottle and fill it from the tap, but we found the added convenience plus the colder temperature of keeping them in the fridge helped us drink more. Now we are going through 3-4 bottles per day each. And all the empty bottles really motivate you to drink more since you see exactly how much you have drank (just remember to recycle them!!!) :)
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water all day - but often add Mio or Dasani Drops to flavor it. I keep a water bottle on my desk and refill multiple times throughout the work day. Not as good about it at home on the weekends though.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    the temperature comment is really a helpful thing that a lot of folks look over

i dont like ice water, i drink room temp
    boyfriend doesn't like water, but will drink hot water all day long (tea)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    If it's hard for you to drink water, then drink something else. Water's only pushed because it has no calories. Keep yourself hydrated with whatever you can drink as long as it's in your calorie goal.
  • lulukababa
    lulukababa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to hate water but been drinking loads for over a year now. I found that I have no problem drinking plain water from a bottle, but I still struggle drinking it from a glass - can't explain why but this is how it works for me I guess!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I was out of the habit but I drink 10 glasses a day easy now. I have a 3 glass bottle. I drink one glass while breakfast cooks, then one bottle over the morning, one over the afternoon and one in the evening. I often put lemon or lime or fresh mint in it, but another good one is herbal teabags like green or jasmine. It's just about forming a habit. When I was forming it I gave myself no choice. Wasn't allowed my coffee until I'd had my breakfast water, no soda/coffee at lunch if I hadn't had my morning one, no glass of wine with dinner if I hadn't had my afternoon one, and no going to bed until I finished my evening one lol.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I live for the Mio, crystal light and powerade zero drops. They make drinking water so much easier.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    I absolutely despised water when I first started drinking it. I found that I like very, very cold water much better than room temperature or warmer water. Now, I really, really, like it. It's my favourite drink (almost ;) ). Mio is really good too. I like the lemonade one.
  • MarianDorn
    Options
    Like some others here have posted, I hated water! Everyone kept telling me how it would help me lose weight if I would drink those instead of Iced tea with nutrasweet. Well, I have found a way to drink water! I use cucumber slices, a couple slices of grapefruit and mint. I let it sit all night. The next day I have a very refreshing and satisfying drink. I am lucky, since I work where there is a lunch counter. I get cucumbers from the salad bar (1-2 slices) and place in my water glass (24oz). I use the same two slices all day (3 glasses during work) and it still has the great flavor. Good luck. I know how hard it is to drink water if you simply don't like the taste. But your tastes will change with time. I don't even miss my iced tea or diet cola anymore. :) Hang in there.
  • Hawkeye_74
    Hawkeye_74 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can't drink water alone unless it is extremely cold. Until I tried the MIO. I live for that stuff. It has enabled me to triple the water intake that I was normally taking in. I like the fruit punch, wild cherry and orange ones. Gotten in to mixing them also for added flavor.
  • marthahorn
    Options
    When i chose to give up diet soda, I switched to sparkling water on my way to drinking plain water. I missed the fizz, the bubbles, the lift I seemed to get from soda. After a while, I was able to switch to plain water. I prefer mine with LOTS of ice. I also like to add fruit or some veggies to it in the refrigerator for a different flavor. Sometimes I still buy sparkling water for a change.