Loose Skin

Options
Hey MFP fam,

Hooray for me, I am loosing the weight that I want! Which is great. Still got a helluva long journey ahead of me. However, I fear that I will have loose skin hanging all over the place.

Does anyone have this problem? If so, what have you done to combat it?

Replies

• jleach
    jleach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not lucky enough to have that problem yet but I'm sure I will. I don't know that there is anything you can do about it but you are relatively young so it shouldn't be to bad. Your body bounces back better the younger you are.
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    Good...Cause I was afraid. I want to avoid cosmetic surgery if I can, but...yeah...I just rather tone up and not get loose skin!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I only have that problem in my belly area (2 pregnancies). I am doing a lot of crunches but I don't know if I will ever get rid of my gut completely.
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    With everything I have read so far you have to allow up to 2 years for your skin to tighten back up and lifting is a great way to help move it along
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Also be sure you're not losing too fast. Slow and steady fat loss will allow your skin to recover as you go.
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the medical benefits of compression gear, but it feels good wearing it. Keeps everything tight :-)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Loose skin....simply put, "it is what it is"

I have to have cosmetic surgery to remove my loose skin from my abdomen. I exercise faithfully every day. I have for over two years.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am in my early 40's and I have a lot of saggy skin on my belly but I was overweight most of my life. I have been lifting for a while now and I am hoping to see some tightening in this region soon. If not, I am going to have a little tuck done in this region.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I knew going into this process (@560 lbs. and a 78 inch waist) that after losing 300+ lbs. that I would be dealing with excess skin.. I never let that be a factor in my decision to lose the weight though.. Heck if I had not lost the weight I more than likely would not be sitting here today... But I did every thing the right way... Slow an steady, hydration, lotion, lifting, etc,etc... but even after knowing and doing all that I knew surgery at some point would be my best option. So I researched it, narrowed my list of surgeons to 2, met with them, made the decision and had 17 lbs. of skin removed in a circumferential body lift this past September.. and it was the best decision I ever made.. But like I said you have to weigh out those options and maybe by doing all the other things you may not need surgery but just don't let the loose skin deter you from the process of losing the weight cause your health is first and foremost the most important thing.... Best of Luck

www.gettingfit4life.com
  • johnnysdurl13
    Options
    With everything I have read so far you have to allow up to 2 years for your skin to tighten back up and lifting is a great way to help move it along

I have also heard the two-year window.
    I had a baby six months ago and my skin is tightening up pretty well.
    I try to keep my skin moisturized, and I scrub it extra thoroughly in the problem areas. I don't know how much it actually helps, but I believe that between getting rid of the excess dead skin (promoting new, healthy skin growth) and keeping its elasticity from lotioning it, it should be good. Seemed to help me quite a bit.

My husband has loose skin from losing 100 pounds pretty quickly, so maybe keep it slow, strength train and try those things for you skin (which he didn't know to do until he was out of the two year window)

Also, congrats on the weight loss!
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to be a huge problem with me as well. Alot of health insurances won't cover the surgery. Maybe I will go on Extreme Weight Loss (ABC). They have plastic surgeons that will do it for free for the people who lose so much weight.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The good news is, you're young which will help. The bad news is, other than being young and having good genetics, there isn't anything you can do about it. It can be very easily hidden with clothing. But for some, surgery is desired, or even necessary if they get a lot of skin infections.

I have loose skin. I want to get some surgery (not sure I'll cough up the money though). But for me, it's not a necessity - just a 'want'.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The good news is, you're young which will help. The bad news is, other than being young and having good genetics, there isn't anything you can do about it. It can be very easily hidden with clothing. But for some, surgery is desired, or even necessary if they get a lot of skin infections.

I have loose skin. I want to get some surgery (not sure I'll cough up the money though). But for me, it's not a necessity - just a 'want'.

^^^THIS. PS would be nice but I figure the loose skin is better than the weight I use to carry around. I figure I look pretty damn good with my clothes on so I'm good if I never manage to get the money to have the PS.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals the loose skin may be an issue. I have seen people drop 80-100 pounds with weight lifting, pilates/yoga, cardio etc. and a slow steady approach with minimal skin issues. It took me almost 3 years to drop my weight and I was diligent with lotion, exercise, hydration, vitamins etc. I however needed a body lift to remove excess skin. I had my upper body done and had 20 inches removed from my back, my arms look normal now and I have breasts that are not fake and make me feel beautiful. 10 pounds total removed. I will need a lower body lift in the future because I do have health issues that keep happening but I have chosen to wait until I have kids to do my lower lift. It all comes down to what you are willing to do. Will you let fear of extra skin hold you back, or will you charge on full steam ahead and deal with the results when you get there. I think they key shift is learning to love your body and mold it along the way.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    I can't speak to the medical benefits of compression gear, but it feels good wearing it. Keeps everything tight :-)

Interesting...I'm going to look that up!
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    Will you let fear of extra skin hold you back, or will you charge on full steam ahead and deal with the results when you get there?

Oh no, never that. I care and don't simulaneously about the loose skin. All I am concerned with is me reaching my weight goal. The loose skin part is unfortunate, but is secondary.
  • run5kmom
    run5kmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lost 85 lbs. I did it very slowly over the course of about 18 months. I have loose skin but just on my stomach. I researched getting a tummy tuck but I am not a candidate because I had a hysterectomy when I was 28 (bikini cut) and then a year later had to have emergency surgery to remove both ovaries (zipper cut, they had to get in quick to save my life.) I now have what is called an anchor scar. I cannot have a tummy tuck because of this I am high risk of infection and not healing properly from the surgery.

Some days it is easier than others and I wish I had the body on the outside that I know I have on the inside. Somedays I wish I could wear a bathing suit and be comfortable. It's taken me a while but I had to make peace with the loose skin. Because I am healthy and that is all that matters.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    I know this is going to be a huge problem with me as well. Alot of health insurances won't cover the surgery. Maybe I will go on Extreme Weight Loss (ABC). They have plastic surgeons that will do it for free for the people who lose so much weight.

Hmmmm, the light bulb just went off in my head. LOL.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Hmmmm, the light bulb just went off in my head. LOL.

Have you ever watched the show? It is pretty amazing. I see you are younger than me so loose baggy skin shouldnt be much as a problem as with me being older.

Good Luck!!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There are oodles of threads about this exact topic. I am a believer in the "it is what it is" theory. I dumped 100lb and I have a surgery consult in September to deal with the loose skin. You are a lot younger, so there is hope you will not have the problem to the same extent. This problem has a lot to do with the degree of obesity, and age. All you can do is come up with a good nutrition plan that helps to minimize the muscle loss as you work toward your goal and work to add some muscle during the process. The loose skin is something that is really only visible without clothes. Everyone with this problem learns to hide the flaps using a variety of ways in plain clothes.

Lose if fast or lose it slow. With a good nutrition and workout plan that really boils down to semantics. Sure, the lose it fast option might show more visible loose skin for a period of time while you work to add the muscle mass, but the slow loss route likely concludes with you at your goal weight at the same time.

Goop stuff on too if it makes you feel better. Personally, I have not seen enough technical studies to support it does anything but make the cosmetic companies richer.

The hydration comments always surprise me. Anyone that is working towards a weight loss goal should learn very quickly that is a requirement.

I can tell you it is an awesome feeling to go to the doctor and be told you are ridiculously healthy.

Good luck on the lifestyle change.