Woman weight lifters

Options
jenbk2
jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
Hi- can you tell me what "lifting heavy" is? How many lbs and what the exercises are that you do with the weights?

Thanks !

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I recently starting the Stronglifts 5x5 program but have also heard good things about New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lifting heavy is whatever works for you. Its just important that you get the forms down before adding any significant weight or you can seriously hurt yourself.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Definitely read New Rules of Lifting for Women. Having women tell you what they do and how much they lift isn't really going to be helpful in the end. I can lift more than others and others can lift way more than me. I don't compare myself to anyone though, there's no telling how long they have been lifting. Start slow and educate yourself, you'll love it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    here- let me look that up for you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1066204-what-does-lifting-heavy-mean-to-women

lifting heavy has more to do with HOW you lift than how much.

Typically people refer to big compound moves- (can be done with DB or BB but MOSTLY done with a bar bell)
    > squats (front, back, zercher, bulgarian split)
    > dead lift, (traditional, sumo, romanian, straight leg, single leg)
    > > over head press,
    > bench, Barbell, dumbell, over head, incline, decline)
    Or
    oly lifts- clean and press- snatch, clean and jerk etc etc

But "lifting heavy" usually means you are lifting a high percentage of your 1 rep max (like upwards of 80%) for your lifts... in a lower range- like 5-8 ish (opinions vary) to failure.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative to the person and to the lift. I can barely bench triple digits but my dad can warm up with one plate. A one plate squat is a warm up for me but basically 1RM for my dad.

Most people do some variation of 5x5 in which case you should be aiming for roughly 80% of your 1RM. That could be just the bar or it could be four plates, I have no idea how strong you are.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing a program called Stripped 5x5... but will probably move onto StrongLifts eventually, but right now I'm just getting form down and comfortable with these major lifts.
    http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

My numbers (for reference, yours may be way different)

A Day: (weight in pounds)
    Deadlifts: 95x5, 100x5, 105x5, 110x5, 115x5
    Bent over barbell rows: 50x5, 55x5, 60x5, 65x5, 70x5
    Military Press: 45x5,50x5,55x5,60x5,65x5

B Day:
    Squats: 70x5,75x5,80x5,85x5,90x5 (I could technically go higher, but I have form issues that make me strain my back, so I'm working on that right now)
    Bench Press: 35x5,40x5,45x5,50x5,55x5
    Chin Ups: This you do twice to failure, I can't do unassisted chin ups right now, so I use a machine that provides counterweight. My last numbers were 5 reps @ -40lbs and 2 reps @ -40 lbs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy means your sets max out at about 8 reps. Maybe a little higher (13) for some things, but that's pushing the definition. By this, I mean you're lifting a weight that on the last rep of your set, rep #8, you can't get more reps with good form. The actual weight will differ from person to person based on your level of fitness and strength. My heavy might be your light.

I personally keep to 5 reps or less, I can expound on the reasons if you like.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy means your sets max out at about 8 reps. Maybe a little higher (13) for some things, but that's pushing the definition. By this, I mean you're lifting a weight that on the last rep of your set, rep #8, you can't get more reps with good form. The actual weight will differ from person to person based on your level of fitness and strength. My heavy might be your light.

↑ This.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    More than a 12oz beer and a sammich and bringing it to me in one trip :laugh:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

^Excluding deload weeks, this is how I lift as well. So it's not the weight I lift, it's a weight that I can lift with good form for no more than 5 reps. If 6+ reps is doable, it's time to up the weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    now you can do drop sets with heavy weights too- where you are starting at a high percentage- and by the time I'm done I"m TRYING to make 10 reps with like-my warm up set- but I guess that's a whole other thread LOL
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    now you can do drop sets with heavy weights too- where you are starting at a high percentage- and by the time I'm done I"m TRYING to make 10 reps with like-my warm up set- but I guess that's a whole other thread LOL

Yeah, I think drop sets are a little beyond when someone is just trying to figure out what heavy lifting is....lol.