The Food Diary: Calories, Sugar & Fat?

Options
Hi,

Everything i have read so far is about creating a caloric deficit. That's fine, i can accept that, but when i enter food into my food diary on MFP how detrimental to weight loss is it if i exceed my sugar or fat allocated amounts, while still maintaining my calorie deficit?

Thanks for any help

Replies

• delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well for one, the sugar thats accounted for on MFP doesn't differentiate between processed sugar or sugar from fruits, so my sugar is ALWAYS way way way over what I'm technically allocated. But as long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit, going over on sugar, fats, or anything else shouldn't hinder your weight loss.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, not at all. You only need to play with macros if you have some specific health or fitness goals.
  • Mokoshne
    Mokoshne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit, going over on sugar, fats, or anything else shouldn't hinder your weight loss.

so theoretically if i ate nothing but sugary confectionery, but maintained a caloric deficit i would still lose weight?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit, going over on sugar, fats, or anything else shouldn't hinder your weight loss.

so theoretically if i ate nothing but sugary confectionery, but maintained a caloric deficit i would still lose weight?

Yes. If weight loss is all you're after: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Fat, protein, and carbs all help with your general health and body composition. Protein will help you repair and retain your lean muscle mass while you're dieting. A lot of us think MFP sets their default protein goal too low. Fat helps with things vitamin absorption. You need a certain amount of fat in your diet. It's not a problem to be a bit over in your fats except that it means you're going to be a bit under on something else. Depending on your goals and with a little research, you can reset your macros to any percentages you want. Just choose a plan that's sustainable for you and will help you hit your personal goals.
  • Mokoshne
    Mokoshne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    cool, thanks heaps diannethegeek!