TTC after 40 and would like to lose weight to be healthily

Options
Hi I'm 44 y/o and about to go through IVF in a few months and would like to be at least 30 pounds lighter does anyone know if weight loss improves your chances? I have been active on MFP for about 105+ days but weight loss has been slow and I work out daily looking for some friends that may be going through the same process or just want some team support.

Replies

• mssaudi
    mssaudi Posts: 14
    Options
    y do u think ur weight loss is slow?
  • mssaudi
    mssaudi Posts: 14
    Options
    are u cheating on to something?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I am over 40,, anyone can add me.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't know about IVF, but I think losing weight will make your pregnancy easier on yourself. I hate the 40's it used to be that I could make small changes and lose weight fairly easily. Didn't need to exercise either, but now I have to work a lot harder at it. So I know how it goes. Good luck.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The older you are, the more important it is to be fit and healthy for a successful pregnancy. Being obese can make it harder to become pregnant naturally. I'm not sure if it matters for IVF. Ask your doctor about that.

More importantly, though, pregnancy is really hard on the body for older women, even when they are fit (that's why we're classified high risk pregnancies) so being overweight as an older woman contributes to more complications during pregnancy - high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, etc. It doesn't mean you won't/can't have a healthy pregnancy, it's just that there's more risk.

Has your doctor cleared you for pregnancy? If so, carry on and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • nancyantoinette
    Options
    I am new to this site and I am also TTC and 43 found this site actually watching youtube through this lovely lady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lHBR-bzwY good luck
  • fluffypants
    fluffypants Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a few months away from turning 40 and we have just started TTC. I've lost a lot of weight but still have a ways to go. I could use some MFP buddies for support/motivation!
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    First good luck to you!!! I agree with previous responses that losing weight prior to conceiving will make your pregnancy a little easier... but I do not know how it will affect IVF -
    I have been on here for 60 days and have only lost 2lbs - although the inches have come off... I am hoping that I can at least reach the 10 lb mark by 100 days...
  • kln308
    kln308 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi and good luck to you all! I'm 43 and we recently (finally) decided to TTC- serious procrastinator. I'm in that time crunch of wanting to lose weight to get healthier but know that my chances of conceiving drop every month. And .. if I want to do any interventions, my insurance benefit on that expires the day I turn 44. We haven't started trying yet. Just got off my Blood pressure pill with diet/exercise and now was just diagnosed with hypothyroid- so have to get that in control but hope to start trying soon. Would love motivation and support from a group :).
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm only 26, so I can't relate on the age front. But I'm trying to lose weight before TTC. Have 80 pounds to lose, taking it one day at a time. Aiming for at least 50 pounds off, before TTC, hopefully next year.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've gone through one cycle and going through my second in a few weeks. I've lost almost 40 pounds (I lost a little more than 10 before I came to MFP) and hoping that helps. It certainly can't hurt if you're obese or overweight -- provided you're being smart about it.

Know that although you have good-looking embryos, there still may not be a baby. It takes time and money, and that's the truth. Hopefully you don't run out of either before you get pregnant!
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    I am 41 and yes it has been a struggle to lose the weight at this age vs. when I was younger. Anyone can add me. I am always trying new exercise routines and it has been working out so far. Little progress is slow progress. Good luck on your journey of getting pregnant. Anyone looking for support can add me. I am always here and willing to cheer on if you are willing to do the same.

Marta!
  • millionairesstv
    millionairesstv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :smile: I am 42 currently I am in the process to having an op to remove fibroids in order to conceive.
    Jan 2014 is the current date set for.
    xx
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 35 and going to start ttc soon. Just here trying to get myself in as good a position as I can.

Weight can certainly make a difference (so I've read) so you are doing the right thing.

Anyone who is going through the same and would like to add me, feel free.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It goes without saying that being fit and healthy can improve a lot of things in life, and certainly your body will be able to cope better with conception and pregnancy if you're a healthy weight. Women who are overweight run larger risks of pregnancy complications and seeing you're 44 you'll be starting to become at risk of age related complications too (no offence meant of course, you're still young, I just mean in baby making terms) so ANYTHING that you can do to get yourself fit and healthier is worth it.

What do you mean by weight loss has been "slow"? There are some people who expect to lose 6lbs every week, whereas it's much healthier to be losing 1 or maybe 2 at the most. Ideally even less, but of course most of us don't have the motivation to carry on with a regime that only allows us to note down 1lb per month or something like that. The slower you lose it, the easier it will be to maintain it, because the methods won't have been too far away from the lifestyle that you will go on to maintain.. if that makes sense.

I would try to get to a maintaining mode whilst you're trying to conceive, though. Drop weight beforehand, sure, but I think your body would cope better if it wasn't in a calorie deficit. If someone has scientific info to prove this wrong, please jump in, as it's just an opinion not a solid fact.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.