High calorie, but low carb and low fat?

Options
staciw
staciw Posts: 58 Member
Yesterday was my first day with this plan and at the end of the day, I had over 500 calories remaining, and some carbs and some fat (just a little of both), and I was over in my protein. Ive done Weight Watchers before and am used to counting points, but I have never considered the carbs. Is there a resource list somewhere for foods that are a little higher in calories, but lower in carbs and fat?

Are most people here having success with the plan as outlined in my fitness, or do most use WW, South Beach or something else?

Staci

Replies

• staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first day with this plan and at the end of the day, I had over 500 calories remaining, and some carbs and some fat (just a little of both), and I was over in my protein. Ive done Weight Watchers before and am used to counting points, but I have never considered the carbs. Is there a resource list somewhere for foods that are a little higher in calories, but lower in carbs and fat?

Are most people here having success with the plan as outlined in my fitness, or do most use WW, South Beach or something else?

Staci
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I almost ALWAYS go over my protein. If I have an egg for breakfast and 4 oz of chicken for dinner, I go over my protein. That's not even counting my lunch. When I first started, I was really careful about staying within all my limits of everything, but now I realize that, for me, that's not realistic. I just can't eat the exact same thing every day. And that's what it would boil down to for me if I tried to stay in all my limits all the time. I'm having a lot of success just keeping within my calories, but keeping an eye on everything else so I don't double or triple my carbs, fat, or protein. I feel the most important thing is to stay within your calories and try never to have too many left over. I've learned on MFP that you have to eat to lose weight and be healthy. If you starve yourself, you're just setting yourself up for failure and a huge gain when you start eating normally. I'm sure someone else will have a little better advice for you, but that's just my experience.

Welcome to MFP and good luck!!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!
    I'm not using any other plan other than this free site. But, you'll find people who ARE also on WW, some who use Alli, etc. Me, I'm way too cheap! LOL.
    I haven't been able to lose weight with any other method that I've tried over the years. But, this site has been just fantastic, and the weight is "practically" falling off! AND, it's actually kinda fun too, if you can believe that! I think that's due to juggling around with my food choices and trying to stay under my numbers. They say it's ok to go a smidge over on the proteins though. The other thing that makes it fun is the message boards, with all the wonderfully supportive people. I just know you're going to love it here too!
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my protein, MFP is a little low on the protein percentage anyway. If you are doing any sort of strength or circuit training you need more protein anyway for muscle building. I always stay within my calorie allowance and under my fat grams allotted. This has been very succesful for me thus far since January.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about protein at all. I watch my carbs and sodium very closely since I'm diabetic but protein I don't worry about nor do I really watch the fat count. I've found that as I'm watching my caloric intake, the fatty stuff just seems to not appear on my things I eat anymore, so it's really not too much a problem.
  • Shelladam
    Shelladam Posts: 8
    Options
    Totally agree with everyone regarding the protein. I don't pay too much attention to it. This site however, has been invaluable for me - http://www.nutritiondata.com/ You can register for free and search all kinds of foods to analyse their fat, carb, etc info. eg sweet potato is heaps better than potato!!! Other excellent feature is that you can analyse your recipes. You enter all the ingredients and quantities and how many serves it makes and it will tell you how much it is per serve. It saves you having to guess each individual ingredient and enter it seperately especially if you cook things like stews, casseroles and pasta sauces.

Hope this helps and good luck. You just have to look at everyones sliders to see that this sites works as long as you work too :happy:
  • Saluna
    Saluna Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome,
    I am fairly new to this site too, but I really enjoy this site. However you must not forget that our body needs fat and carb's. OK chips made ina deep fat fryer is not recomended while on a diet. I try to keep my carb's intake before 8 pm, however I work til 1 am. My profile allows me 3700 calories a day, to keep my weight but I have reduced it to 1500 a day. And I am surprised that I hardly go above my target.
    I have tried WW, but in my personal opion, it is over priced. If you take a minute or two and compare the nutrient, you will find that normal food doess not differ much.
    I find taking a diet with a relaxed attitude and not panicking, when you have taken more then your daily target, will help you a lot.
    Also, you must consider what activities you do and your bone structure. For example, I have a stong bone structure and my weight should be 9 stone. ( guideance) but if I lose too much, I look anorexic.
    My job involves some lifting and lots of walking, similar as having a small child :smile:
    So instead of having a sandwich, white bread butter and cheese, I exchanged the white bread for Ryvita or crackerbread and lost already over 200 calories.
    Oh I could go on as I really enjoy being on a diet but my decorating wont wait.
    Good luck
    Saluna :happy:
    75075.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter