Feeling Discouraged

Options
On here since April and I have lost 29 pounds to date. I am feeling so terrible lately, I have not lost anything, In fact I gained 1 1.2 pounds last weigh in...I have hit a road block :( I have increased my exercise along with walking I have been jogging a bit (bad knee) and running up and down the bleachers at the track...My diet is still under and my foods are the same as always...Please for the love of God tell me how to get past this month of non weight loss!! Nothing medically wrong, no cheating...My clothes are definitely looser and everyone seems to see it but the scale is not moving!!! I never took my measurments so I have nothing to base it on....Should I fast for a day?

Replies

• meg516
    meg516 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I too have hit a roadblock too and I'm not quite sure why. I'm thinking it's probably that I need to kick up the intensity of my workouts. Either way, don't be discouraged. I have days when I feel down on myself too, but being discouraged always seems to do more harm than good. Be proud of your accomplishments because you already have lost a great deal of weight. This struggle will pass! I hope more people on this board have some good advice for you that will help you out, but I just want to leave you with "Mind Over Matter." Stay positive! You can do this!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The gain on the scale is most likely a water weight increase from the increased exercise. Drink plenty of water and wait for it to go away.

You diary appears to be mostly empty lately, so I have to ask if you're sure you're logging accurately? My diary is usually half empty as well, but I track elsewhere, so I understand if you're tracking but just not using MFP. Are you weighing/measuring everything?

Going back into July, it looks like you were eating significantly less than you should be. 900-1200 calories a day isn't a lot. Is there a medical reason you're eating so little? If not, you may be under eating.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way my clothes are loose but I feel like I have been working so hard, eating healthy and staying at 1200 calories, going for lots of walks and not sitting around I am not sure what it is. I was recovering from a hip replacement and put my gym membership on hold but I need to get back but I have not been sleeping very well so am tired, excuses I know but am not sure why drinking lots of water and eating healthy that the lbs are not dropping off
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is not linear! There will be times that the scale shown nothing for the effort you are putting in. If you are at a cal deficit you are burning through excess stored energy which will result in weight loss.

Things that affect the scale.
    New workout= body storing water to facilitate healing.
    Hormone fluctuations = body storing water
    High sodium = body storing water
    Low water intake= body storing water to make sure it has it when it needs it.
  • firefightergal30
    firefightergal30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would have to ask if you have incorperated any weight training in your weight loss program. It is a proven fact that the more muscle mass you have the more calories your body will burn. You need to build muscle. Don't worry this is not going to make you bulky. A lot of women I talk to in the gym ask me what I do to get the lean muscles and I teill them to hit the weights. You don't need to be benching 150lbs but focus on one or two muscle groups a day 5 days a week will build lean muscles and in turn you will lose weight. You need to confuse your body. Whatever you have been doing, your body expects it. It knows what you do, when you do it. Change things up, if you pick a workout routine and stick to it for three weeks then change it up, you cause muscle confusion and shock your muscles. So just when you are getting used to what you've been doing, change it up then your muscles have to work hard to try and get used to the new strain your putting on your body. I have found that doing sets of 3 of 15-18 repetitions with moderate weight will strain your body enough to build LEAN muscle. If you lift heavy weights and go till failure then you will build bulk. I'm sure you don't want to add bulk, were trying to get rid of it.

So for example I do Bi's and Tris, three different exercises for each and 3 sets of 15-18. Then the same for back, chest and so on. You need to get your body out of its comfort zone, find a newer, skinnier one.
  • rondabug
    rondabug Posts: 20
    Options
    Each of us is different, and our bodies adjust in a way that is uniquely our own. My weight loss stall lasted for 6 weeks, but IT PASSED! If you are doing the right things: Tracking, sticking to your set calorie goals, at least moderately exercising, and drinking, drinking, drinking 8+ glasses a day, then you are on track. I question myself and my actions all the time, but we have to have faith that we are doing the right things-or if we take a good hard look and realize that we are not, then tweak them!

I broke my stall by really increasing my fluid intake. I was only drinking about 4 glasses a day which, in 100+ degree heat, is not nearly enough. You have already lost a significant amount of weight (over 10% of your starting body weight!) but I would also suggest that you take your measurements. You said you are able to tell you're decreasing by the way your clothes fit. Measurements help when we are in need of a victory when the scale refuses to give us one!

You can do this! WE can do this! Try to stay positive, and reach out to your Fitness Pals when you need a word of encouragement. That's why we are all here!

Ronda
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I would have to ask if you have incorperated any weight training in your weight loss program. It is a proven fact that the more muscle mass you have the more calories your body will burn. You need to build muscle. Don't worry this is not going to make you bulky. A lot of women I talk to in the gym ask me what I do to get the lean muscles and I teill them to hit the weights. You don't need to be benching 150lbs but focus on one or two muscle groups a day 5 days a week will build lean muscles and in turn you will lose weight. You need to confuse your body. Whatever you have been doing, your body expects it. It knows what you do, when you do it. Change things up, if you pick a workout routine and stick to it for three weeks then change it up, you cause muscle confusion and shock your muscles. So just when you are getting used to what you've been doing, change it up then your muscles have to work hard to try and get used to the new strain your putting on your body. I have found that doing sets of 3 of 15-18 repetitions with moderate weight will strain your body enough to build LEAN muscle. If you lift heavy weights and go till failure then you will build bulk. I'm sure you don't want to add bulk, were trying to get rid of it.

So for example I do Bi's and Tris, three different exercises for each and 3 sets of 15-18. Then the same for back, chest and so on. You need to get your body out of its comfort zone, find a newer, skinnier one.
    You don't build muscle on a cal deficit! The rep and set number don't determine if you get bulky! To be bulky you have to have a cal surpluses and testosterone in excess of what women naturally have or dedicate hours a week for years.

OP weight lifting is a wonderful thing and if you choose to add it to your route in it will help sculpt and keep your existing muscles but you will not build new muscle.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My clothes are definitely looser and everyone seems to see it but the scale is not moving!!! I never took my measurments so I have nothing to base it on.

Loose clothes means you're losing inches. The scale might not move, but inches can still be lost. Happens to me often. I won't lose weight, but my measurements will continue to drop. The number on the scale is not the only way to measure your progress. In regards to never having taken measurements, take them today, continue doing what you're doing, and then measure again in a week (or two, whatever works for you).
  • tacobella2013
    Options
    You are right I am slacking on my logging part I keep a written journal and then enter at later times. I cant seem to consume the amount of calories all the time, If I try to meet caloric intake I usually will end up over in protein or sugars...Im going to try to strictly log on here earlier in the day. Thanks
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You are right I am slacking on my logging part I keep a written journal and then enter at later times. I cant seem to consume the amount of calories all the time, If I try to meet caloric intake I usually will end up over in protein or sugars...Im going to try to strictly log on here earlier in the day. Thanks

Frankly, a lot of us think the protein and sugar defaults are too low here. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, I wouldn't worry too much about going over on either. Especially if it's a choice between going over on protein or drastically undereating.
  • Chickychick18
    Options
    There is something called a wall when you are losing weight. When you lose a lot of weight, you will get to a point your body is used to your diet and exercise. It is not longer suprised with what you do. At this point weight loss will be slower. Sometimes you need a random binge or switch in your exercise or diet. Give yourself a free day to eat what you want or try a new kind of exercise you enjoy. Shock your system so you can jump start your weight loss again :) Hope this helps!
  • firefightergal30
    Options

You don't build muscle on a cal deficit! The rep and set number don't determine if you get bulky! To be bulky you have to have a cal surpluses and testosterone in excess of what women naturally have or dedicate hours a week for years.

OP weight lifting is a wonderful thing and if you choose to add it to your route in it will help sculpt and keep your existing muscles but you will not build new muscle.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Frankly, a lot of us think the protein and sugar defaults are too low here. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, I wouldn't worry too much about going over on either. Especially if it's a choice between going over on protein or drastically undereating.

Agree with this!
  • firefightergal30
    Options

I think what she's looking for is toning and trimming. I know she isn't trying to build bulk and to say that women can't is not true. There are plenty of body builder women that have lots of bulk but their diets are different and they aren't taking testoterone or enhancers to get them there. I my self have grown in size and I couldn't take enhancers if I wanted to...not that I do. But she needs change, thats what I was getting at. She needs to confuse her muscles and put them in shock. Watch the calores coming in and the carbs coming in. Stay relativly low, like 120 in carbs. I have been training for a competition but am deff not in the stronger category. After talking with a lot of these women, they keep the carbs low, some even in the 90's. That may be too low to survive on but I guess if your about to do a show and want everything to look define then thats one way of shedding pounds. But there are some women that lower their calories and carbs too lown and end up adding weight. You need to find your sweet spot and what works for you. What may work for one may not work for all.

There is no exact science. I have been trying to find my "sweet spot" for some time and I have found that keeping my carbs to around 120 and the calories to 1200-ish and exercising 5 days a week works. Strength training 3 days and cross fit and yoga 2 days. I know after talking to my Physical Therapyst, he explained to me the science behind exerting your body for short periods like 20 minutes is better then some repetative motion like spin or running. Aerobics was created for astronauts to keep fit in a limited space. They had no gravity though, but since it was introduced to the rest of the populations, so has a lot of acute injuries.