Desperate for weightloss

Options
Hi im kinda of new to this website but im desperate to lose weight. I keep trying but always give up on the 2nd or 3rd day. I am aiming to lose 30lbs in 3- 4months (is that possible ?) I am 154lbs now (70kg) and I am 5'6. I try eating around 1200 calories and doing jillian micheals banish fat boost metabolism everday along with 300 jumping jacks in the morning and at night. My mainprblem areas are my thighs which are massive and rub when i walk and my stomach which is flabby. Also my butt is too big for my liking and sticks out. I want to just lose fat all over.

I just really want to lose weight and giveup my old ways once and for all.

Please give tips and advice , I am so desperate.

Thanks

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1200 calories. If you are doing that much activity you should probably be more around 1900 calories (assuming you are not eating 1200 net calories). Ditch Jillian Michaels. If you want to stick with her at least don't think that it is any different than any other cardio workout. She is not magic.
    30 pounds in 3-4 months is doable, but I don't think that it's prudent at your weight. I'd say 30 pounds in 6-8 months is wiser.
    This calculator will help you figure out what you need to be eating as far as macros and calories go: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    ETA: it's great that you want to lose fat all over, because you can't spot reduce. You want to keep your lean body mass, so I would add in strength training in place of Jillian if it were me
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately at your height and current weight trying to lose 30lbs in 3-4 months is too quick of a goal. You should be aiming for no more than 1lb per week of weight loss so 4-5 lbs a month. Anymore than that and you risk increasing your muscle loss along the way.

Change your goal to 1lb per week at most and eat your full calories along with any exercise calories you earn. Fill your diet with good foods and do cardio along with lifting.

You can't spot reduce fat so you will just have to focus on losing overall body fat. Lifting heavy will help retain your muscle mass but also help you lose more body fat.

Don't give up because it is a long process. Weight loss is not linear either so keep going even when you don't like what the scale says. Don't set goals too high for yourself either.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have lost 42 in 5 months. I cut back on my portions, eat lots of fruit and veggies, lean meats and fish, eggs, beans and legumes, etc., cut out all the junk and processed stuff and drink a lot of water which I think is key. I lost a good portion of the weight by just walking on an incline on my treadmill. Now I run and do HIIT cardio and I just started heavy lifting which hopefully will get the rest of the weight off.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Stop freaking out, doing something extreme, and quitting over and over.

Start a sustainable lifestyle - aim for 1 lb/week, move around, lift some stuff, and rest to recover.
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more! Search on MFP for forum posts about TDEE and BMR. The information out there is wonderful. Never hurts to arm yourself with all the knowledge you can.

I agree with scottaworley, 6-8 months sounds reasonable! Don't rush it! It took time for the weight to pile on, be patient and give yourself time to lose the weight in a healthy, consistent way.

The goal is to lose the weight and keep it off. When you're eating so few calories it just isn't sustainable in the long run. Don't get me wrong, some people do it, but wouldn't you rather eat more and keep from messing with your metabolism too much?

For your trouble-spots, seriously start weight lifting and doing basic calisthenics & plyometrics. There is no such thing as 'spot reducing' but I've had quite a lot of success doing lunges, squats, jumps, leaps, jumping rope and lots of weight lifting (legs & *kitten* have never looked better).

Stay patient with yourself and just give it time!

I read this quote somewhere and I truly love it:

“It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Give it 12 weeks. Don’t QUIT!"
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You've been given some really good advice above. Listen to it. And now I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice on a slightly different path, speaking from experience. Even if you lose the weight you want to lose, your body still may not look the way you want it to look. Strength training and a good body recomposition routine may help, but genetics are a big factor here. Losing the weight may not magically make you happy with your body. Learn to love it the way it is, with all of its idiosyncrasies, instead of the way you want it to be.
  • coppertiara
    coppertiara Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great advice from all - here's my 2c., I am also 5'6" and wanting to lose 30 pounds, but I weigh 173. I think your goal weight is unrealistic for your height. Please see this page http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/ for how to calculate your ideal weight based on lean body mass. For me, lean body mass is 117 pounds so ideal weight for fitness is 141-145 pounds. This also happens to be my "happy weight" that once achieved is pretty easy to maintain. Back in my early 30s I thought I should be at 130 pounds, and I achieved that by a very restrictive diet and exercise regimen but I was always grumpy and felt weak and lightweight, like an essential part of me was gone. I now know 141-145 is right for me. I'm faced with rebalancing my body's needs after having a child late in life, a pregnancy with complications and now menopause =8-O but I'm confident I'll get it figured out. Stop beating yourself up, and pat yourself on the back for all the good things you do and hug the people you love every day! Positive attitude really helps!