who do you associate with?

Options
Good morning...Read something and i wanted to share and its so true:) "Perhaps you've heard the story of the little bird. He had his wing over his eye and he was crying. The owl said to the bird, "You are crying." "Yes," said the little bird, and he pulled his wing away from his eye. "Oh, I see," said the owl. "You're crying because the big bird pecked out your eye." And the little bird said, "No, I'm not crying because the big bird pecked out my eye. I'm crying because I let him."
It's easy to let influence shape our lives, to let associations determine our direction, to let pressures overwhelm us, and to let tides take us. The big question is, are we letting ourselves become what we wish to become?" Associate yourself with positive people that will lift you up. "You are the average of the 5 people you spend your time with" i have spent many nights losing sleep because really i think to much LOL..maybe its what i assumed, or what they said to me, or what they did ext, and you know what this will hold you back and this will ruin your day and this will prevent you form moving forward. Pray for them and LET IT GO:)

Replies

• sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You sound REALLY smart! This makes so much sense when you look at it this way!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I like that parable. You are absolutely right...I keep toxic people out of my life, and in fact rarely even encounter them anymore! I am fortunate that I have awesome friends who are creative and supportive and positive and wonderful! I have friends that, when someone leaves the room they start talking about how wonderful the person who left the room is. I love that because who gossips TO you will gossip OF you.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    That's a great little story. Makes you reflect. :smile:
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    Impressive! I like the part about being an average of the 5 people you associate with. When I look at it that way....ohhhh my. I have some work to do.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Best thread I've seen today. :flowerforyou:
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I need to read something like this. :)
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs up for this post. What a great way to look at our life and the people we bring into it!
  • kotersmom
    kotersmom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I "allowed" toxic people into my life for way too long. Just because someone wants to be in my life doesn't me I have to let them be. Took me a long time to learn that! Great post!
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself only with people who are going to take you higher.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I "allowed" toxic people into my life for way too long. Just because someone wants to be in my life doesn't me I have to let them be. Took me a long time to learn that! Great post!

Ditto! I'm stronger without them. Go you!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Pretty people only.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    People with money and low self-esteem.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Why is this making me cry so much? I'm serious - what has this triggered?
  • nurseybee
    Options
    Excellent story. I've never heard that one before, but it's so true. Thank you!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    People with chains and whips

they excite me
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i just went through my mental list of the 5 people I associate with the most...

ANDDDDDD

i'm pretty fvcked up......but i'm loving life and having a blast....

really really really fvcked up though
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    MFP needs to add the ability to *LIKE* posts such as yours! :-)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I like this - and I've done a good job of surrounding myself with a truly excellent circle of friends. Everyone else has - or will soon be - getting the axe.
  • andyb000
    andyb000 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    yes i have to have that quiet time every day guys to read or just reflect, refocus and reenergize with positive thoughts:) when you do that it makes your whole day great!
  • Cavy1234
    Cavy1234 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is so true! I let my inlaws treat me like a doormat for 15 years before I grew a backbone, began to create distance, and finally cut them from my life completely. I have had absolutely no contact with them at all for about three years. My life is SO much better without those toxic people in my life. I even came off of my blood pressure medicine just from not having to deal with their drama, hatefulness, and hurtfulness anymore! :happy: