Early risers: need some help

Options
Ugh...I have to get better at this. Early morning runs have been hit or miss because I can't drag myself out of bed everyday at 5 am. It's not for a real lack of sleep, because I'm going to bed generally at 10 pm every night. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you... when I started exercising I changed my work schedule from 7am-3:30pm so I could work out in the afternoons. I knew I wouldn't get up to exercise but that I would get up to work. If that's at all a possibility I recommend it, I love having more free time!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. Sleep in your running clothes.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Just put your shoes on and do it. Discipline. It will become a habit...I still grumble and complain most mornings but always feel happy I did it when I'm done. I am an early morning riser anyway but I like to lounge and drink coffee in the morning. :)
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sleep in your work out clothes - that way all you need to do is get up and go...
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 21 days to make a habit. Commit to yourself that you'll get up early 21 days in a row and exercise. I did this back in April and it didn't take me long to get hooked. Now it's just routine. I go to bed around 10 and get up at 4 every day except the weekends, when I get up at 5.

"If it's important you'll find a way, if it's not you'll find an excuse."
  • Crzymommyof2
    Options
    I have to wake up at 520 everyday to kids my kids and self ready for daycare and work so when I started working out I set my alarm for 420... early I know but the trick is to get your self going before you work out. I have to start my coffee and have a sip before I can even think of getting my run on. It also makes me feel better, im not so grouchy when I get to work in the morning :)
  • fabry12
    fabry12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Put the alarm clock away from the bed, so that you have to get up to turn it off.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Can you adjust your alarm volume? When I first started workout in the AMs - I CRANKED my alarm so it REALLLLY woke me up when it went off....and I didn't let myself hit snooze! Once it went off I had to get out of bed..... Now that I'm in the routine I'm good to hit snooze once and get up.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I workout in late afternoon because I start work at 4:30 am. As long as you get a routine going, it doesn't matter what time of day you do it.
  • Crzymommyof2
    Options
    keep reminding yourself that its worth it and the alarm clock away from the bed is a awesome idea!! ill be doing that from now on
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As a non morning person I completely understand. And discipline isn't always the answer. I physically don't hear my alarm, or turn it off in my sleep. So it's not for a lack of trying. I have 3 alarms- one across the room and I still sleep through them.

Someone told me to put an alarm in another room and add a code to it where I have to think to turn it off. I am about to try that.
    Adding music to my alarm has helped (like workout music that gets me going- I can't stay still if i listen to certain songs).
    Have all your workout clothes ready, or sleep in them like someone said. That's a good one.
    Positive thinking about getting up! If I tell myself I'm probably going to oversleep I do!

I do hear it gets easier with time, your body adapts. I haven't made it that long to tell if that's true. :)

good luck,
    Your comrade in excessive am sleepiness.
  • cramseynyc
    cramseynyc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I grumble too in the mornings but am always so glad I did it! I set 2 alarms 5 minutes apart. The first is my phone and it's by my bed. The second is the regular alarm and it's across the room. Between the two I can usually get up.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I workout in late afternoon because I start work at 4:30 am. As long as you get a routine going, it doesn't matter what time of day you do it.

^^This. No reason to torture yourself if you can establish a routine at a different time of the day.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    it does eventually get easier to get out the door. i find it hard in the wintertime when it's still dark outside.

me, if i don't run in the morning, i find excuses not to run after work, so i tell myself if i just go out and run slow, short, and easy, i will burn enough calories to have a cushion for the day. once i'm out there, i'm loving it.

another trick: get a cat that expects food at 5am, or a dog that spends the night indoors. :-) only problem is they don't know when it's a weekend or a rest day.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am to work out. The suggestions here are pretty good. Here are some more tricks:

1. Drink a large glass of water before bed. Trust me, you will NEED to get up.

2. Make yourself accountable to someone. I go to CrossFit. I feel accountable to my fellow 6am-ers. But you can do the same with a running buddy - human or canine ;-)

3. Force yourself to do it for two weeks straight. After that, it will become habit.

4. Go to bed early. I'm in bed at 9, lights out by 10.

5. Don't let yourself sleep in too much on off days or weekends. It will break your pattern.
  • pinkbananashoes
    Options
    I recently started getting up to exercise which used to go against every bone in my body! The best piece of advice I read was to not let yourself think about it. As soon as the alarm goes off just get up. If you lie there it'll seem far worse. Once you're up you're up. Don't snooze.
    If it helps I also read that you could just start getting up 15 mins earlier at a time to help. Good luck. Harri
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    My husband can't work out in the mornings, he turns off alarms in his sleep even if he has to get out of bed. But it doesn't bother him to workout at 10pm or 11 pm so that's what he does....I'm the exact opposite and can't keep my eyes open at night so I'm up at 5:30 am. Find what works for you! Honestly even for a morning person like me it gets hard in the winter when it's dark outside in the morning so honestly if you can't get up now it won't be easier in the fall/winter so find what works for you. Their is no rule that says you have to workout at such & such time :smile:
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up somewhere between 4-5am to run. Try going to bed earlier, wear your running clothes to bed. Set your alarm to wake you up with a song that starts out loud if you have that capability (Any Way you Want it by Journey and Beautiful Day by U2 are two of my faves for waking me up fast). Move your alarm some distance from your bed to make you get out of bed to reach it. Drink a cup o' joe before you run/workout. A little caffeine helps wake you up. Once you get in this habit of rising early (yes, it takes time and discipline) to wake up, you won't want to stop. Things are so much quieter for me in the mornings. And there's a whole tribe of runners out there at 4:30am wearing their headlamps too to see where they are running. It's entertaining seeing all the darkness-piercing lights and reflections from other runners' headlamps/reflective gear. Good luck!
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do 0445 bootcamps. What every one else has said...get your clothes ready right by your bed the night before, wash your face with some real cold water/brush your teeth, lace or slip on the shoes, take a "sip" of protein drink or chocolate and your off:). If you can get an accountability buddy that will help, if not, just remember how GOOD you will feel when you come back from your run. Many morning go by when I set my alarm and think, do I need to do this?,do I want to do this?...I'm too tired, maybe I'll even call in sick for work...I'm so tired. LOL. But once I'm up, there, finish the workout and home, I am so much more ready for the day! You can do it:).