Calorie Deficit

Options
Does anyone know the time period over which you can measure your calorie deficit for fat loss?

We all know that a 500 calorie per day deficit should net somewhere around 1 lbs of fat loss per week. But does the deficit have to be daily, or can you average it out over a longer period of time? For instance 500 calories a day over a week is 3500 calories. If I maintain a 3500 calorie deficit over the course of a week, will that have the same fat loss results as keeping a steady 500 calorie per day deficit?

I tend to get in longer work outs on the weekends (in the range of 3-5 hours on the bike). On those days I tend to have very high deficits. I am wondering if I will still see gains if I up my calorie intake a few days during the week when I get in shorter workouts, or whether there is something magic about keeping the deficit consistent on a daily basis.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Things are constantly changing within your body as it strives to keep systems in balance. As your calorie demands and supplies change, the body responds accordingly by storing, burning, etc.

Fat loss and fat burn is happening pretty much constantly. It just comes down to how significant/measurable is it. Most people look at things by the week, but you can really evaluate things in any timeframe you want.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No time frame doesn't matter.

Many people here (MFP) use a different method TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and take a percent off for the deficit. With that method the exercise is sort of "averaged" out. That way you eat the same calories every day.

Another method is zig-zagging. This is where people will eat diffierent deficits on purpose. They can "bank" a larger deficit one day, and save it for another. Many people call this a "cheat day," great for a night out (or whatever).
  • MUL98
    MUL98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Helpful!