You gotta start somewhere!

Options
It is so easy to ignore the need to exercise, as a matter of fact too easy! The treadmill looks so univiting but I know once I get started I instantly feel better. Personally, if I set small goals (walk a mile) it is easier for me to feel motivated. Every little bit counts so get off the couch, you have to start somewhere!

Also, looking for friends to add some support and increase my knowledge and motivation!

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. It happened so often to me I really didn't feel to start exercise even, but once going I felt great and afterwards even greater.
  • bohocherry
    Options
    yea the beginnings the worst especially when you get the runners itch and just want to quit, but once you break through it it begins to feel so much less like a work out and more like a stress reliever. Other than that the hard start serves as a reminder to never get outta shape again I know it has for me!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    For me. Golfing as much as possible.. Enough said :drinker:
  • sh0emann
    sh0emann Posts: 46
    Options
    I just always think how good I feel after exercising and just guilt trip myself into it. Think about how oh well if I stop exercising and it snowballs into a few days to a few weeks to a few months of no work, the amount of regret you feel is staggering.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    During spin class I am thinking to myself why am I doing this and I am never doing it again... Then something kicks in
    and I just never want the class to end.
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes! I use to think that in spin class, I despised it! LOL but it is a good workout! The harder you have to work the more worth it! A journey of 1000 miles starts with 1 step! Never feel like you can't get to your ideal body, those thoughts are self defeating!
  • TLynn0568
    Options
    I have become so much more productive with small goals, as the OP mentioned.

I used to have grandiose goals - "I'm gonna run for 45 minutes straight!" and by the 15 minute mark I was about ready to die and then I felt like a loser because I couldn't "reach" my goal. But now I'm at smaller time interval goals, or "just one more song," "OK, you made it thru that song - juuuuuuuuuust one more!" And I feel such a greater sense of accomplishment doing it this way. And lying to myself that when I feel my most tired, that's when I'm doing the most good by pushing my comfort limits and truly giving my body a workout...

And throwing a towel over the treadmill's display panel so I can't see what I'm doing helps, too. A watched pot never boils, and a watched mile never seems to get run quickly enough!! :)
  • skinnygirly23
    Options
    100% relate! Think it comes from being too hard on yourselves. Important to be proud of even small accomplishments to give us encouragement to achieve big ones :smile:

I do a mile here and there and usually by the end of the day I have 4 miles in. Part of it is believing that what we are doing is going to result in what we want.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes...it's very easy to become lazy. I just got back from a vacation in CO, where I did some fantastic hiking, but otherwise no "daily" exercise, so I lost my motivation to get back on track when I got home. I really had to fight with my mind to get moving again...but I'm so glad I forced myself. Once you defeat the mind, the body will follow. Whenever I don't feel like exercising, I tell myself that I only have to run, for example, for 5 minutes. If I still don't feel like doing it, then I give myself permission to quit. By the time I get to 5 minutes, I'm already feeling better, and have never wanted to stop. I think listening to our bodies is crucial, though...allowing ourselves rest days when we truly need them is so important...but defeating our self-sabotaging internal talk that might land us on the couch for the afternoon with some bon-bons...that's a different story altogether. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try to get out on the road in the morning because I know once I come home from work there are way too many excuses. I just get it done first thing.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have trouble too, but I love walking, so I try to find nice trails in the area to walk on. My area has a couple of nice ones that I like walking on, and that keeps me motivated to go.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I never HAD to exercise until I ballooned, so I am really having a hard time getting into the habit! I keep telling myself to start with walking, but I need something to get me out the door. When I do walk, I reward myself with ice cream.:blushing: SO yeah, until I find a better way, I'm gonna be fat.
  • skinnygirly23
    Options
    Oh no! Don't do that, find a different way to reward yourself. All your hardwork won't pay off if you replace those calories.