Bicycle Riders: Question....

Options
I've just recently started riding my bike for cardio and though I understand it's August and I live in the south, I need to know what folks do to help prevent chaffing....and yes I'm for real. I've had someone suggest spandex but I'm not sure I need to be sporting spandex anything at this point in my weight loss journey. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Replies

• 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am a bike commuter, and I like to wear padded bike shorts. However, I'm self conscious showing up at the office in all my glory, so I have one of these skirts to throw on over my spandex: http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel/casual-bottoms/Stretch-Mini_5

You may already have some skirts, dresses, and tunics in your closet that could also hide spandex shorts.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You may not like spandex, but it can be your best friend. Embrace it! Padded bike shorts are a necessity if you are riding longer distances.

I've never had chafing while cycling, but have while running. Get a stick of body glide and wipe it on the parts that rub, whether it's against other body parts or clothing. I use it on my feet to prevent blisters when I run long. They sell it at all sporting goods stores.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oh, and there is chamois cream that can be used inside those lovely, padded, spandex shorts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're a little self-conscious about the spandex biking shorts check out something like these:

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/women-mountain-bike-shorts.html

looser outer pair of shorts with spandex riding shorts inside. You get the benefit of the spandex & chamois with a more modest garment.

(Or, you could just do like most riders do and say screw it.....I'm wearing bike shorts. If you don't like it don't look!) Trust me, it took a while before I didn't feel a bit weird wearing them (and running tights).....after a while you realize that no one else really cares.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a pair of mountain bike shorts. They have the chamois (padding) built into them yet they look like regular shorts. Bag Balm is also good for chaffing. You can usually find it @ Walgreens or a drug store.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'll say cycling shorts, like you expected. Loose fitting shorts can bunch up and move around while you pedal, so that is the problem. I would look around either in the women's sections of a bike store, online store, etc, or also the mountain bike section. There are shorts that are two layers, bike shorts on the inside with plain loose fitting shorts on the outside. You get comfort and skin protection without feeling weird about just being in the bike shorts.

I would also recommend some type of skin protection, like Body Glide, or cream for the shorts. I use chamois cream on my shorts, and it makes a big difference.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Great information!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started riding my bike for cardio and though I understand it's August and I live in the south, I need to know what folks do to help prevent chaffing....and yes I'm for real. I've had someone suggest spandex but I'm not sure I need to be sporting spandex anything at this point in my weight loss journey. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Padded spandex bike shorts under a pair of cargo shorts or gym shorts. Protection and modesty. That's what I do.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Spandex is our friend.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Chamois butter.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you're a little self-conscious about the spandex biking shorts check out something like these:

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/women-mountain-bike-shorts.html

looser outer pair of shorts with spandex riding shorts inside. You get the benefit of the spandex & chamois with a more modest garment.

(Or, you could just do like most riders do and say screw it.....I'm wearing bike shorts. If you don't like it don't look!) Trust me, it took a while before I didn't feel a bit weird wearing them (and running tights).....after a while you realize that no one else really cares.

This^

I've actually been riding in my running shorts which have spandex/wicking material inside and a loose outer short.