Getting up early to work out

Options
How do you do it?!? I want to work out in the morning, so it's out of the way and I have time for other things in the evening. But I just can't pull it off very often, and when I do I feel so slow and clumsy. Share your tips if you can do this successfully!

Replies

• Burghaus
    Burghaus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do 5 minutes of light work on an elliptical. Kind of wakes me and gets the heart rate and adrenaline going. Then I run or lift. Allows me to stretch also with a body that is at least slightly warmed up.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I got into the habit because my baby was waking me up at 5:30 so, really, what the heck else was I going to do that early? But now she's started waking at 6:30 instead and that's not really enough time for me to get a decent workout in before getting ready for work, so I'm struggling with you. I haven't set an alarm really in 5 years (since I had my first daughter), but I've decided I just have to bite the bullet and set my alarm to go off at 6:00 tomorrow to work out properly.

Once I actually get going with my morning workouts, it's awesome. I have so much mor eenergy throughout the day and I don't have to think about it at all for the rest of the day!
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE!
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    I literally force myself out of bed - never EVER hit the snooze button; that usually means you aren't going to get out of bed and work out. I always have to have a cup of coffee before I workout - it helps me work out on an empty stomach and gives me a little boost.

It is a matter of how willing you are to do it. Start making it a habit!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm an evening worker-outer.

I get the advantages for getting it out of the way, and I admire those that do it, but there's something to be said for fitting your workouts in wherever they work most easily with your life. If it's a PITA to do, you might not do it long term.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I set the alarm for 3:30 am so I can down a cup of coffee then get started. Love having my workout done by the time most people are rolling out of bed.

If you want it you'll do it.
  • FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The only workout that I will get out of bed at an ungodly hour for is running - and that's because I actually enjoy doing it.
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It is without a doubt the best way to start the day. I'm in a good mood and ready to tackle everything head on. You put out your workout clothes before bed; shoes by your bed. That way, you don't have to work that hard to get moving and out of the house (or if you workout at home, maybe moving more is better).

All I know is that by the time the day ends, the last thing I want to do is workout. Besides, if I do it in the morning, I don't miss any time with my son or my husband since they are still sleeping.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I workout at 6am and it's not always my favorite, but I would never change it. This morning I did a mile run outside to warm-up and then did my strength. It was much more refreshing than going straight to the gym to lift. It's just routine for me. Most nights I go to bed telling my husband how much I don't want to workout in the morning, but every morning I am up and out of the bed while he is sleeping.

AM workouts fit my schedule, I don't have to worry about them if I work late or go to a happy hour. I don't think I could do AM workouts at home, I like the fresh air.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am just a morning person. I get up at 4am to workout and exercise. It is a habit. However, I do go to bed early so I am well rested when I awake.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All about routine for me. Starting the habit was VERY difficult. Then I was out of it for several month after foot surgery... Then starting the habit again was VERY difficult. Here are some things that helped me get into it (and back into it).
    1. I didn't want to be a rude. The more times I hit the snooze, the more times I have to wake up my husband.
    2. Strangely enough (and smidge overshare)... it helped to drink a big glass of water before going to bed. When the alarm went off, my bladder would be equally demanding. By the time I turn on the bathroom light and do my business, I'm more awake.
    3. My clothes are already in the treadmill room and the TV/DVD player is set. I walk in the room turn on my show or movie and change there.
    4. I don't expect myself to have the same stamina right away. I work to build my morning routine to where I was in the evening. I remind myself that my races I would want to do are in the morning anyways, so best to have that routine then.

Good luck!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    as soon as your alarm goes off, roll out of bed, turn on a light, and go. i take supplements like NO boosters to help me through hardcore lifting sessions
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    2. Strangely enough (and smidge overshare)... it helped to drink a big glass of water before going to bed. When the alarm went off, my bladder would be equally demanding. By the time I turn on the bathroom light and do my business, I'm more awake.

That's one of the most clever tricks I've read about on here. I'm def going to try this one out when I need to get up early! I like simple and effective.

Thanks!
  • TLynn0568
    Options
    As much as I LOATHE getting up at 5:30am I do it because I'm realistic with myself these days - I KNOW that it's an empty promise to tell myself "I'll workout when I get home." I NEVER do, unless it's a "bonus" workout.

I feel hard off the wagon over the past year and gained a whopping 17 lb., as did my BFF. Now I KNOW how important working out is and how it must be done, and how now I want to be trim more than I want that extra 1.5 hours of sleep. So she and I call each other every morning at 5:30 to workout. Since logistically we can't be together, we at least know we're doing it together - both miserable, but doing it nonetheless!

It's a commitment and a dedication. I don't like working out - never did, never will. I like the feeling of accomplishment I have - especially when it's over, and I don't miss the never-ending daily guilt of not doing what I knew I was supposed to to be doing. Each day I at least feel accomplished and my mood is so much better, and in fact since getting back to AM workouts I have more energy than ever and seem to require less sleep that I did before as I never feel as tired/dragging as I did when I wasn't working out.

Just having it done and over with before my day even starts is the best motivation for me to get out of bed each morning.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like to get it in in the am also. I wake up at about 5am, listen to Steve Harvey's motivational segment; then get my workout in. Like someone mentioned earlier, I don't have to stress over it if I have things I have to do after hours. For me, its an uninhibited time of day and the stress and weariness of the day has not yet set in on me.
  • biggjenn
    biggjenn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15am to work out. I am not a morning person and I drag myself kicking and screaming to workout. BUT I feel so much better all day, and I tend to make better food choices when I workout in the morning. I think the key is - GO TO BED EARLIER if you can. It might take a few weeks to get used to, but it's def doable. Good luck!
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I run outside. Being self conscious, I know there will likely be less people to see me sweat my *kitten* off on the pavement, so it's motivation to get out of bed early.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Because I KNOW that if I don't do it first thing in the morning, I won't get it done at all. It's easier to work out while my kids are all sleeping vs waiting for me to come home in the evening.
  • 2013USMCWife
    Options
    I get out of bed and go to the gym with my husband. Which means up at 4:30. Having someone to get me out of bed someone that to keep me liable for my workout helps a lot. Finding that person to go with you to do your workout in the morning is what does it for me.